Westone ES5
Aug 4, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #91 of 5,554
It is going to take a while to properly review these. I havent even tried amping them yet. But I was asked a good question by PM and that can be a start.

Quote:
I would like to know about its mid, female voice, high, soundstage and 3D(instrument separation), Is it stand on warm or cold side? and ,the most important, is it lack the bass in term of quantity and quality for pop music?

My reply (at this early stage):

Quote:
I will post impressions soon. I am still listening and learning. You will be extremely happy with the "mid, female voice, high, soundstage and 3D(instrument separation)". Also the ES5 is crisp but warm, much warmer than the Triple-fi's. These aspects of the SQ are just about perfect.
Bass may be the issue for some people. It is excellent quality and nicely balanced with the mids and highs. But it is not elevated in quantity, rather deep, accurate and controlled. In our basshead culture, these will not compete with the JH-16s. The sound is led by the mids and highs, not the bass. The soundstage is spectacular- no caveats. It is amazing that it can be so wide and transparent; the IEMs just disappear. The vocals are what really blow away my Triple-Fi's. They are forward, warm and full. (The ES5 better the Triple-Fi's in evey regard.)
At my normal listening volume, I think that the bass is just right for rock and pop. At low volumes, the 'Fletcher–Munson' effect kicks in and maybe a bit more bass would be nice.
I am very happy with my decision to get these. Just out of the iPhone 3GS headphone out, these are good enough to be my full-time cans. I haven't even tried amping them yet.
Hope that this helps.

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #95 of 5,554
Musicians will always be Westone's primary market but the ES5 are also aimed at "personal listener(s) looking to upgrade with a high-end, well-balanced custom earphone". (from the ES5 brochure)

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #96 of 5,554
I realise that I have not even mentioned the soft tips on the ES5. How they do this marvel of design is beyond me. The transition from the hard shell to the soft tips is truly seamless. The soft tips were a big reason that I favored the ES3X over the JH13s - plus I liked what I read on here about the Westone sound signature. Then Powderhound hinted at a new product a few months back and I bided my time until the ES5 were released. Glad that I did.

Soft tips meant that I had much less worry about sore spots and endless refits. My audiologist did a good job no doubt and my ES5 have a great seal with no pain. In fact, they seem to be fitting even better now on day three as my ears adjust. I think that it's great technology and a very nice feature.

My ES5s are comfortable. To me, that's huge.

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #98 of 5,554
(See letloverule's comments below. it seems that deep tip is the default for Westone now but depending on the individual's ears and impressions. I will therefore stop discussing this red herring.)

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #101 of 5,554
Apparently, you can't compare the earpieces because all of them depend on the individual's ear canal and the impressions taken. So its not a different option, just a reflection of the impression and the canal. I'm gonna make sure my impressions are right.

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #102 of 5,554

Quote:
I realise that I have not even mentioned the soft tips on the ES5. How they do this marvel of design is beyond me. The transition from the hard shell to the soft tips is truly seamless. The soft tips were a big reason that I favored the ES3X over the JH13s - plus I liked what I read on here about the Westone sound signature. Then Powderhound hinted at a new product a few months back and I bided my time until the ES5 were released. Glad that I did.

Soft tips meant that I had much less worry about sore spots and endless refits. My audiologist did a good job no doubt and my ES5 have a great seal with no pain. In fact, they seem to be fitting even better now on day three as my ears adjust. I think that it's great technology and a very nice feature.

My ES5s are comfortable. To me, that's huge.

The soft tips are one of the reasons I am planning to get ES5's.  I think that's a huge feature.  I have hard acrylic customs from Unique Melody, and they are comfortable, but they don't quite "disappear" like people say they should.  I've also got soft silicone tips for universals and really prefer those to the hard acrylic, but true customs sound better.  So I think the ES5's with the soft hybrid tips would be the ultimate combination of comfort and sound. 
L3000.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #103 of 5,554
I still don't have good light but I will post a couple of pics. I'm actually quite pleased with how this first macro shot turned out for showing the guts of the ES5. In real life, my IEMs look much darker than this first picture.

(Yes. my ears are huge. Most custom IEMs don't have that entire front section to the left of the cable entry.)

Here is my right earpiece showing how the serial number is engraved in red (or blue) to indicate right and left.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #105 of 5,554
Correct. The smoke colour is quite dark and the prism effect makes it difficult to see the armatures so clearly. I think that the colour looks really great. But if you want clear... then order the translucent.

Translucent would look great with the ALO cable. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back