Westone ES5
Jan 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #5,521 of 5,554
yay! bet you're happy to finally receive them! They look good.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #5,522 of 5,554
added my silver cable to it, way better fit around my ears with them~

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #5,523 of 5,554
I've ordered a third-party cable called Cadence from eBay, and although there's not much information about them, they seem to be of good quality. My clear ES cable started to change in color (I ordered black but got clear instead T_T) and the cable noise got kinda annoying unless the slider was moved up, closer to my chin. The sole reason I went with the Cadence cables is because it's wrapped in a fabric-like material and I'm hoping this will help with the cable noise. Plus, I'd assume it's less prone to tangling as well. Not too eager about any improvements in terms of sound, but I'll have to see when I get them next week.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #5,524 of 5,554
I've ordered a third-party cable called Cadence from eBay, and although there's not much information about them, they seem to be of good quality. My clear ES cable started to change in color (I ordered black but got clear instead T_T) and the cable noise got kinda annoying unless the slider was moved up, closer to my chin. The sole reason I went with the Cadence cables is because it's wrapped in a fabric-like material and I'm hoping this will help with the cable noise. Plus, I'd assume it's less prone to tangling as well. Not too eager about any improvements in terms of sound, but I'll have to see when I get them next week.
My ES5 are green so I welcom the greening of the cable - it matches :D

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #5,525 of 5,554
TBD. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #5,526 of 5,554
guess the fit isn't perfect after all. Right side seems to irritate my ear while I don't notice the left side at all....guess I'll have to make an appointment with my audiologist and hopefully this time around, it isn't a trainee that does my impressions <_<

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #5,527 of 5,554
  guess the fit isn't perfect after all. Right side seems to irritate my ear while I don't notice the left side at all....guess I'll have to make an appointment with my audiologist and hopefully this time around, it isn't a trainee that does my impressions <_<

I'm pretty sure I'm about to have the right piece remolded. I emailed Westone asking about a sound imbalance and the more I play with it the more I can only imagine that it's the fit. Pretty frustrating...it doesn't feel all that wrong, but the sound indicates something isn't right, and it isn't my ears.

I was just so excited about the left earpiece fitting. Then I noticed the next day that the sound is off center and that the left side sounds meatier, sounds fuller. It's irritating that these are so picky.

I feel bad that this has dragged on for so long. Sent back twice for the left earpiece, now I have a sinking feeling that the fit on the right is causing the imbalance.

It's probably frustrating for all involved. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #5,528 of 5,554
Just got the Cadence Cable. I'm not going to comment on any SQ improvements because I'm hardly a believer and I've only given it a brief listen, but I can definitely say that microphonics is worse than stock cable. Kinda regretting the purchase since I recently realized that stock cable makes very little cable noise if cinch is pulled all the way up to your neck.

Edit: Yeah I'm definitely returning them. Microphonics is just unbearable. I was stupid to think that the cloth-like material would REDUCE cable noise when in reality in actually makes it worse.

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #5,529 of 5,554
got them back today, perfect fit ^_^. they shortered the thing that goes into my ear on the right side which caused discomfort. Seems to have improved the sound aswell

still notice the right side breaks easier when I tilt my head in an abnormal way....maybe I should get a re re fit ( or not do strange things with my head)

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #5,530 of 5,554
  got them back today, perfect fit ^_^. they shortered the thing that goes into my ear on the right side which caused discomfort. Seems to have improved the sound aswell

still notice the right side breaks easier when I tilt my head in an abnormal way....maybe I should get a re re fit ( or not do strange things with my head)

Ah, good! I got mine back Wednesday. Tried them once for four hours so far, and I am happy with the fit as well. I am worried to say that after only one session, of course... so I hope my experience will be consistent.

It's been a lot of back and forth and a lot of work, so here's hoping everything stays perfect.

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #5,531 of 5,554
I see some of you complain about the fit, especially for the right ear. Had the same problem, but didn't want to send them back since I was and still am digging them.

In time, they'll feel perfect and they won't cause any more problems to your right ear.

I do wear them 12h+ a day to block ambient noise as well as to listen to music and my ear canals have gotten a bit more accommodating. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #5,532 of 5,554
For those of you who listen to pop/hip-hop, EDM, or just mainstream music in general, do you find the ES5 too smooth? I have the Mad Dog and they are quite mid-centric and smooth too. I also have the Westone 3 and for mainstream music I generally prefer the Westone 3 since it feels more engaging and with more attack. Mainstream music comprises almost 80% of what I listen to, with the rest being the likes of Michael Buble or the genre of Jason Mraz.

I've been considering the JH16 too, but I fear their always-on bass might be a little too much sometimes (I like the Westone 3's bass, and sometimes wish the Mad Dog could have a little more bass).

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #5,533 of 5,554
  For those of you who listen to pop/hip-hop, EDM, or just mainstream music in general, do you find the ES5 too smooth? I have the Mad Dog and they are quite mid-centric and smooth too. I also have the Westone 3 and for mainstream music I generally prefer the Westone 3 since it feels more engaging and with more attack. Mainstream music comprises almost 80% of what I listen to, with the rest being the likes of Michael Buble or the genre of Jason Mraz.

I've been considering the JH16 too, but I fear their always-on bass might be a little too much sometimes (I like the Westone 3's bass, and sometimes wish the Mad Dog could have a little more bass).

Too smooth.. hmm... they don't gloss over details, not smeared-sounding like W3 can be. Out of your genres, I only listen to Knife Party and Innerpartysystem on occasion. The ES5 aren't what I would call engaging... they're monitors intended for musicians so they do have a bit of a clinical quality to them. They sound clean. Not dry, not cold... a touch warm, but cleanly detailed. I find that they don't grab me and pull me into the music, but I can sit and get lost in it if I want to. If that makes sense.

I find them to be well-balanced, though maybe too relaxed on the highs for some tastes. I like that about them though, I have listened for 6 hours straight without fatigue. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #5,534 of 5,554
I'd like to add that truly bass-heavy music is, on the other hand, amazing. Things like "Indigo Children" by Puscifer and "Solider" by Amatorski. When called for, the ES5 should impress a basshead.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #5,535 of 5,554
  Too smooth.. hmm... they don't gloss over details, not smeared-sounding like W3 can be. Out of your genres, I only listen to Knife Party and Innerpartysystem on occasion. The ES5 aren't what I would call engaging... they're monitors intended for musicians so they do have a bit of a clinical quality to them. They sound clean. Not dry, not cold... a touch warm, but cleanly detailed. I find that they don't grab me and pull me into the music, but I can sit and get lost in it if I want to. If that makes sense.

I find them to be well-balanced, though maybe too relaxed on the highs for some tastes. I like that about them though, I have listened for 6 hours straight without fatigue. 

Wow, I could never say that my ES5 are not musically engaging - mine grab me and pull me into the music every time.  What is your source and amp, etc? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back