Westone ES5
Jan 14, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #874 of 5,554
I might go down this path.. I heard the Miracle today. It was amazing.. Now it's impossible to justify purchasing the ES5 without first hearing what it's capable of performing.

Quote:
I think there are a few people with ES5s in Singapore? Try PMing them and asking them to let you have a quick spin?

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #875 of 5,554
The UM Miracle is slightly darker in SQ compared to ES5. I have ES5 and have auditioned Miracle before.

Having said that, Miracle offers very high value considering it's price.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #876 of 5,554
i heard the um miracle today too! quite revealing with a little more bass than the jh13, but not quite my cup of tea. and janice the rep from singapore's thinking group told me i have to get a qoute for the es5 with custom artwork from an unspecified third party distributor. so basically i'm quite confused by her reply since most singaporeans here got it through her right? anyways since i didn't like the miracle and the jh13 i'm assuming i'm not gonna like the westone es5.

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #877 of 5,554
Well, not really. The ES5 is only about $150 more than the miracle. When you are talking about customs at that price point, what's $150 more or less?

Quote:
The UM Miracle is slightly darker in SQ compared to ES5. I have ES5 and have auditioned Miracle before.

Having said that, Miracle offers very high value considering it's price.

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #879 of 5,554

Well, not really. The ES5 is only about $150 more than the miracle. When you are talking about customs at that price point, what's $150 more or less?

I'm sorry. I must have been mistaken. I was actually referring to the Mage being excellent value for money. 4 drivers for only S$900 represents outstanding value. But it's a little dark but very smooth.

The Miracle is S$300 more. But the highs performance is quite good. I remembered bring impressed with how it handled the highs.

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #880 of 5,554
Oh, that i can totally agree with. However, i had the chance to try the Mage and Miracle side by side. While the Mage is an excellent monitor in its own right, the Miracle is better in every sense. Vocals sound more realistic, the bass feels tighter etc. I was hoping to find the difference between the Mage and Miracle small enough to save that $300, but i'm set on getting the Miracle, unless i can find a demo of  the ES5.

Quote:

I'm sorry. I must have been mistaken. I was actually referring to the Mage being excellent value for money. 4 drivers for only S$900 represents outstanding value. But it's a little dark but very smooth.The Miracle is S$300 more. But the highs performance is quite good. I remembered bring impressed with how it handled the highs.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #881 of 5,554
Quote:

I'm sorry. I must have been mistaken. I was actually referring to the Mage being excellent value for money. 4 drivers for only S$900 represents outstanding value. But it's a little dark but very smooth.The Miracle is S$300 more. But the highs performance is quite good. I remembered bring impressed with how it handled the highs.

You found the UM Mage to be a dark sounding headphone? From the various reviews I've read, it was a rather bright phone. Could you please share some more impressions? Thanks in advance.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #882 of 5,554
I have not read through the Mage reviews, and have next to no experience with custom IEM's, but to be honest, the sound signature of the Mage/Miracle kind of reminds me of the HD650.

Quote:
Quote:

You found the UM Mage to be a dark sounding headphone? From the various reviews I've read, it was a rather bright phone. Could you please share some more impressions? Thanks in advance.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #883 of 5,554
the miracle was the only one of the UM range that really impressed me, the rest had no bass. the westone es5 has a lot of bass too, the miracle is an awesome iem in its own right, i would buy it if i had a second pair of ears, or the budget to get it, but i have the westone es5 and i am satisfied. they are both good choices

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #884 of 5,554

Quote:
anyways since i didn't like the miracle and the jh13 i'm assuming i'm not gonna like the westone es5.

But you did like the JH13s! I remember! You just couldn't justify the $1100 though.

You would really never know until you try.. the ES5s might change your mind completely about spending some serious coin.
wink_face.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #885 of 5,554
The Mage is definitely not a bright customs. My impressions of it is it is a laid back customs. Much like the Sennheiser HD650, but not as dark. Due to the dual bass drivers, bass presence is there. But the Mage does not sound particularly dark. The soundstage is very good. The Mids and highs are quite smooth. The dual bass drivers do not interfere with the rest of the spectrum. Hence the overall SQ is a relaxing, laid back, moderately warm and smooth iem.

ES5 however sounds very different. Comparing it to JH13, it is equally transparent and clarity is excellent. Soundstage is wider than JH13. However, if JH13 comes across as a bit analytical and dry, ES5 is more listenable; reason being ES5 is a wee bit warmer and also airier. Despite just sporting a single bass driver, rest assure that bass is not lacking and quality of it is very good. But if u prefer IE8 bass, please look elsewhere. The signature magical Westone Mids is still there. The highs are quite crisp and very very smooth.

I understand from Janice that I was her 2nd customer to get ES5. I too also got it without any audition. But boy, i do not regret this purchase at all. ES5 will follow me on a very long audio journey. These r definitely a pair of keepers for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back