Westone ES5
Jan 7, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #856 of 5,554
Hearing 2 ES5s go dead in such a short time doesn't give me much confidence .... I love the sound of the ES5s and I'm praying hard it doesn't happen to mine - especially not after the warranty period ... 

Anyway guys, when you get your ES5s back, let us know what they say about it - the causes of the breakdown, if they care to mention. :)

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #857 of 5,554
Hmm... Another unfortunate soul after my case.
Sounds like it's not such an isolated case now.

I shall be pressing for an explanation when my ES5 is back then.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #858 of 5,554
Sidetrack a little.

OMG~~~
Yuin PK1 sounds so darn good!!!
Thank god my friend lent it to me as a backup earphone. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #860 of 5,554
This might be a strange question, but has anyone compared the ES5 with the Grado HF-2 (I think HeadphoneAddict would be best equipped for this comparison)? Very frequently when I read ES5 impressions I find some sense of WOW factor. I have friends who said they would pay "at most $300 for these" upon listening to JH16 demo versions, yet would gladly plunk down the $450 for the HF2s sheerly for the incredibly fun response. The HF-2 has this kind of WOW factor, which is why I keep them because they really impress the heck out of people (including non-audiophiles). I've had friends prefer them to the HE-5 and great hordes of arguably better cans.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #861 of 5,554

This might be a strange question, but has anyone compared the ES5 with the Grado HF-2 (I think HeadphoneAddict would be best equipped for this comparison)? Very frequently when I read ES5 impressions I find some sense of WOW factor. I have friends who said they would pay "at most $300 for these" upon listening to JH16 demo versions, yet would gladly plunk down the $450 for the HF2s sheerly for the incredibly fun response. The HF-2 has this kind of WOW factor, which is why I keep them because they really impress the heck out of people (including non-audiophiles). I've had friends prefer them to the HE-5 and great hordes of arguably better cans.

I'd say there really is no comparison. The ES5 have a sense of immersion in the performance due to their clarity and transparency that the HF-2 can't match. The HF-2 are a fun but colored headphone that boosts the bass, offers more forward mids, and put up a slightly grainy treble with a lower treble/upper mids coloration that isn't all that neutral (more esily heard after listening to a friend's HP-1000 and then switching to the HF-2.)

I would take the ES5 over most full size phones, and they could be my one and only phone to keep me happy if I had no choice but to sell all the rest.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #862 of 5,554

Quote:
I'd say there really is no comparison. The ES5 have a sense of immersion in the performance due to their clarity and transparency that the HF-2 can't match. The HF-2 are a fun but colored headphone that boosts the bass, offers more forward mids, and put up a slightly grainy treble with a lower treble/upper mids coloration that isn't all that neutral (more esily heard after listening to a friend's HP-1000 and then switching to the HF-2.)I would take the ES5 over most full size phones, and they could be my one and only phone to keep me happy if I had no choice but to sell all the rest.

I suspected exactly that huge difference in level of refinement. I was simply curious if the level of engagement was comparable, though you've addressed that nicely as well. Thanks

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #864 of 5,554
Oh, that's a little bit less than I was expecting, which is nice to know.

HHA don't have the ES5 listed on their website, for some reason, but they've got the ES3 listed at £940 so I assumed the ES5 would be a lot more than that.

I'm assuming that when you say £950 that includes the custom artwork as well. That sounds like a really good deal. The only other place I've seen the ES5 listed in the UK has them priced at £1000 without artwork.

Anyway, enjoy and lets us know your thoughts.

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #866 of 5,554

Quote:

Thanks, HHA sell them for £950 which is just over $1400.

It's actually closer to $1,500 ($1,478) than "just over $1,400, ie they cost over 50% more in the UK than in the US.

On the other hand, the ES5 cost £38 ($59) more than the ES3X (http://www.handheldaudio.co.uk/pages/moreinfo.asp?divitype=c&cat_id=252&pic=&root_name=Westone&pr_id=2209), whereas in the US they cost $100 more.

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #869 of 5,554
HPA! i went through 59 pages just to find your review! guessing it ain't up yet.

on another note, i'm from singapore too, any idea where i could have a listen to a pair of demos?

I emailed Janice at thinking group about this and here's what she had to say.

"ES5 is custom-made earphone, so will not have demo set for customer to try on it due to different ear shape."

blink.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #870 of 5,554
I got the same reply from her. It makes the choice really tough, as i am debating between the UM Miracle and the ES5. I'm going to test the miracle today, and it will be hard to justify buying the ES5 without hearing how it sounds like beforehand. The ES5's are really tempting though, mostly due to the soft tips.

Quote:
HPA! i went through 59 pages just to find your review! guessing it ain't up yet.

on another note, i'm from singapore too, any idea where i could have a listen to a pair of demos?

I emailed Janice at thinking group about this and here's what she had to say.

"ES5 is custom-made earphone, so will not have demo set for customer to try on it due to different ear shape."

blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back