Westone ES5
Mar 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #4,306 of 5,554

Quote:
You don't need a bite block to remain open. Just open your mouth, that is what I did and had no problems.

You don't "need" a bite block to remain open BUT a bite block will help with two things. 1 - Maintain the same mouth opening throughout the process and 2 - Maintain a steady jaw .

Rodrigo

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #4,307 of 5,554
What I did was use a phone to call them up for pricing.
rolleyes.gif
 (I think I've called atleast 20 different audiologists in the Vancouver area.)

Regarding JHAudio's "preferred" audiologists: one did not have any experience at all (wasted $50 on faulty impressions), and the others' prices were out of line. Ofcourse I'm referring to the ones in Vancouver, so I'm just talking about my experience. Also, the ones on JHAudio's website aren't really related to them, I've asked the audiologists and they had no clue what custom in-ear monitors, or what JHAudio was. Some Sonus, with no experience charged $40 for both sides, but I ended up needing to get new ones. Other Sonus that seemed to know what they were supposed to do, also aware of what UE CIEMs were, quoted me $150 for a pair of impressions.

In conclusion, most of these "preferred" audiologists from UE/JH/Westone's website... are all not actually "preferred."

Quote:
If anyone is in a position to comment on "most of them" - quality or pricing - their experience is far greater than mine. (I think that it is a useful resource - at least as a starting point.)

PS: During the course of the 9 months I waited for the JH3A, I've gone through four different impressions since I asked JHAudio to send me dummy shells for a test fit. None of them fit. Then I found my audiologist right near me when I decided to get ES5s; they had a lot of experience in musicians ear plugs from some other company, but they had not heard of JHA/UE/Westone. However, they knew exactly what the procedure was to get a nice fit via good impressions.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #4,308 of 5,554
Yeah, regardless of whether you're looking into UE, Westone, or JH recommended audiologists or not, it's a smart idea to make a few calls here and there to make sure they know what the heck you're talking about. I'm also not planning (or hoping) to spend anywhere above $50 for impressions, but if I only find one audiologist who fits the bill of my requirements and he/she charged me over $50, I'd still go with that. After having paid $100 for refits in vain, I am really determined to get a good set of impressions this time.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #4,309 of 5,554
Overcharging for nice impressions is one thing, but overcharging for faulty impressions with no experience at all is a whole nother animal. Don't just try to get impressions from "preferred" audiologists, look around with google maps for regular audiologists as well. You might find some good ones in Toronto.

Quote:
Yeah, regardless of whether you're looking into UE, Westone, or JH recommended audiologists or not, it's a smart idea to make a few calls here and there to make sure they know what the heck you're talking about. I'm also not planning (or hoping) to spend anywhere above $50 for impressions, but if I only find one audiologist who fits the bill of my requirements and he/she charged me over $50, I'd still go with that. After having paid $100 for refits in vain, I am really determined to get a good set of impressions this time.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #4,310 of 5,554
Regarding JHAudio's "preferred" audiologists: one did not have any experience at all (wasted $50 on faulty impressions), and the others' prices were out of line. Ofcourse I'm referring to the ones in Vancouver, so I'm just talking about my experience. 

There is exactly one "preferred audiologist" in Vancouver on that list. (And no, not Sonus, which is just an additional generic listing of all of their corporate audiologists) 

I wish that you would take language seriously, especially when purporting to give advice. 

And with that, I move onto the next topic..

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #4,311 of 5,554
Oops I may be getting mixed up with the audiologists listed on other companies' sites along with JHAudio's. I can say I got an impression done at the JHAudio preferred audiologist and the fit came out horrible as well.

Can you explain what you mean by language?

I'm trying to get my point across to whomever reads this, that these "preferred" audiologists are not the only audiologists in the world to get impressions from, and just because they're listed on the sites does not mean they are actually experienced. I'm sure you know the pain of having to send back your IEMs multiple times, adding multiple shipping costs, and having to wait months to really start listening to them, and in the end trying to ignore that still incorrect fit just because you're tired of waiting another 3 weeks and paying up another $30 for shipping. I'm just trying to help out here...

Quote:

There is exactly one "preferred audiologist" in Vancouver on that list. (And no, not Sonus, which is just an additional generic listing of all of their corporate audiologists) 

I wish that you would take language seriously, especially when purporting to give advice. 

And with that, I move onto the next topic..

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #4,312 of 5,554
I think the point here is that a member has had bad experiences using audiologists on IEM manufacturer's lists, that they aren't as great as they may seem on first glance, and may either overcharge or produce bad impressions or both.  The best ones may be small and inexpensive and GG's one in Vancouver is an example.

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #4,313 of 5,554
Has anyone bought the ES5 from the Earplugstore? They have a price of $900, and I think I might get the ES5 through them. They are an authorized dealer, but was wondering how their customer service was. Might be unrelated, but I've bought triple flanges from them before and they were pretty bad quality since I got zero seal from them and I mean zero. So maybe I don't have such a positive image of them.

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #4,314 of 5,554
The whole time I thought you needed to make an appointment with one of the people on Westone's site to be able to get the monitors. I didn't know you could go anywhere.
Anyway, I was on Westone's site and called the areas around me and made an appointment at  Hearing Technology Associatesthe Bala Cynwyd, PA office. Anyone have experience with them?

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #4,316 of 5,554
I gave Earplugstore a call today to see if I could order from them. Answer was a no. They said that Westone seems to have changed their policy or something not too long ago so that international customers would only be able to order from their local dealers. Well it's certainly a shame I can't get to save approx $50, but the deal my local dealer is giving me is going to be around $1000 total, which isn't so bad.

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #4,319 of 5,554
Wow, now I'm thinking of giving Westone a try then. The dealer I talked with thought I was talking about the es3x, and it turns out the total will be around $1100, not $1000. So I'm going to call Westone tmr and see if I can still cancel my deal with the local guy. So I guess you were right GG, the usual price of ES5 in Canada seems to be $1100+. So did you end up paying exactly $950, or did you have to pay shipping on top of that?

Quote:
I just complained everyone overcharged like crazy, and Westone accepted to directly sell me my ES5.

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #4,320 of 5,554
I paid $30 extra for overnight shipping, and then the dreaded HST tax, and customs duty.

Quote:
Wow, now I'm thinking of giving Westone a try then. The dealer I talked with thought I was talking about the es3x, and it turns out the total will be around $1100, not $1000. So I'm going to call Westone tmr and see if I can still cancel my deal with the local guy. So I guess you were right GG, the usual price of ES5 in Canada seems to be $1100+. So did you end up paying exactly $950, or did you have to pay shipping on top of that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back