Westone ES5
Jul 17, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #2,941 of 5,554
Hey guys~

Just wanted to ask a relatively short and simple question!

I've decided to send my ES5s back in to get some custom art :) 
As well as changing the shell color Ice Blue to Purple/Grey/Black to match the custom art I want :p
I'm opting for the Splattered Notes art from Westone.

What do you guys think? Should I get Opaque black for the IEM Shell or should I use the Purple colored Shell?

Furthermore I emailed Westone support and asked about Full Acrylic Tips instead of the material they use. These are my first customs So I don't really know what full acrylic feels like, can someone tell me the pros and cons of Full Acrylic IEMs as Opposed to Hybrid Material IEMs like the ES5s? And are there any differences in SQ as well as tonality of the iem?

Thanks~

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #2,943 of 5,554
Arrigoshred, nice artwork. 

I doubt if it is any good going fully acrylic. The soft tip for ES5 allows some flexibility - with full acrylic, you need a really good fit, so the ES5 with the soft tip which fitted your ears well may not fit when it is made in fully acrylic material.

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #2,944 of 5,554

Quote:
Just listened to various Techno/Electronic songs ( Primarily bass and treble genres ). I'd find it amazing if someone would prefer anymore bass or treble the ES5's have to offer.

I agree, especially with the bass. I don't see how anyone could ever think the ES5 is bass-light... There's so much presence, and yet it's not overwhelming. Such a great balance it has....

I'm amazed by how non-fatiguing the entire range is. I haven't come across a single track so far that has made me wince once, no matter how much sibilance or other harshness it has. That really allows me to relax more when I listen to random tracks, as before I'd often be thinking ahead to determine whether or not a certain track has any harshness in it or not.

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #2,945 of 5,554
I don't know Shred, the turn-around on the ES5 is pretty bad these days. Earplug Superstore got mine back on the 19th last month and they're supposed to leave the Westone labs today. I won't have the pleasure of putting them in my ears until late next week, making it 1.5 months without them. I wouldn't go through all that trouble unless they fit poorly - the ice blues look great and the artwork may not be as sharp and detailed as you expect it to be.

@moseboy: I had the same problem wrt treble at first with some recordings, but it improved with each passing day. Brain-burn may well have played a part but ear-canal burn-in, as Paul so eloquently put it, makes a difference as well, for me atleast. Give your ears 2-3 weeks to find out if there's anything else bothering you before sending them back. By then you may well have realized that all is well, and the painful process I'm going through can be avoided.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #2,946 of 5,554
Awesome custom art! Match really well with purple. If I'm into custom art this will be it! Reminds me of Purple Haze.. 'Scuse me while I kiss the sky.

Quote:

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #2,947 of 5,554

Quote:
Moseboy, there is also 'ear canal burn in'. :). Well not burn in but adjustment. It can make a difference. I suggest that you use the Oto-ease for a few days, even a week. It can't hurt and it might really help.

Quote:
It can help because the glycerine softens the skin of the ear canals. So after a few days, you should get a better fit. It will likely help the vacuum situation - making the ES5 sit easier and more comfortable. That might also assist the sound. It's worth finding out.

It took me 2-3 weeks to get a really comfy fit with my ES3X. At first they felt rather uncomfortable and the vacuum sensation was very awkward. In fact, I haven't used my ES3Xs much for the last couple of months, and these days when I use them again, they seem a little uncomfortable (again) for a few minutes. Before that, I'd use them every single day and they were so comfortable that I never thought they'd reach that comfort level - even inserting and removing them became second nature.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #2,948 of 5,554
Just for the record, my issue has nothing at all to do with comfort or being able to achieve a good seal. It has to do solely with the way they sound, which led to the idea that shortening the tips might solve the problem, and I still want to have my audiologist try that before he sends them back. I'll give it some time before I take any action at all, but I'll say this right now: This is not a case of me just needing to keep listening to them in order to "get used to it." Brain burn-in is not going to work here. There needs to actually be a physical change, either with the earpieces or my ear canals themselves, before this issue goes away. Signs are starting to point me towards believing that this is how they're actually supposed to sound, which I would be pretty sad about. But I guess I'll wait and see.

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #2,949 of 5,554
Not sure if the Westone art pics are touched up or not but it appears to me Westone's stock art is very hi-rez.  I would certainly love to see a nice macro shot of your actual shells versus the website to see what the printer is actually capable of.

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #2,950 of 5,554
Jeff Marke replied me with this. "Our printer can print up to 1440 PPI.  300 DPI is the minimum resolution we require for custom artwork to be when submitting it to us.  We print the custom artwork to the highest resolution we are able to with the images provided to us."

When I asked him about the resolution and about this ""Level 1 custom art is a comprehensive and rapidly expanding library of artwork created by the in-house Westone creative team.  Level 1 includes the Westone Image Lock process with resolution up to 1440dpi."
Source: http://www.westonemusicproducts.com/sites/default/files/Custom%20Shop%20Press%20Release.pdf

I asked to print at the highest possible for my artwork.  I should be getting mine back this week.  Jeff said they sent them out last week. :D   I'll take some pics with my sis' new DSLR.

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #2,951 of 5,554
Hi.
#636 arrived.They are my first customs.SQ is very good.
However; i have question:
How can i understood that they fits perfectly.Are there any clue for this?
OR are there any tutorial for this?

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #2,952 of 5,554
Hey there!
How long have you had them for?
I would say for the first week or so the fit wont be perfect. After that it begins to get better and depending on how good your initial ear impressions are they will reach a near perfect fit.
In terms of determining if the fit is perfect I would say when you put them on do you feel like everything is completely blocked? If so then I would say its a near perfect fit

Quote:
Hi.
#636 arrived.They are my first customs.SQ is very good.
However; i have question:
How can i understood that they fits perfectly.Are there any clue for this?
OR are there any tutorial for this?

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #2,953 of 5,554
Just got mine back :D  Artwork and detail is much better this time and its positioned correctly.  Taken with iphone4.

Quick question for everyone.  What color cable did your ES5 come with?  I didnt state which one I wanted.  I got White.  Thought the default would of been black.

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #2,955 of 5,554
Hmm alright.  Thanks Anaxilus for the quick reply :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back