Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Jun 9, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #1,081 of 1,871
The ES3X are in customs in my country! Will have them in 1 day
biggrin.gif

Congratulations spideyman409! Give us some impressions!

My audiologist was very nice also! and very professional.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #1,083 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by spideyman409 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anyone's had to return it totally, but I think someone had to refit 2 or 3 times. I just got mine today!! If I had to refit 20 times, it'd be well worth it. =) If you need to refit more than 2/3 times, I think it'd be safe to say, it's probably your audiologist. Mine was extremely nice and most importantly, knowledgeable. First time was a charm. They've been in my ear since I got them at 9am this morning. So far no tenderness.....

Photos needed!

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #1,084 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by spideyman409 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anyone's had to return it totally, but I think someone had to refit 2 or 3 times. I just got mine today!! If I had to refit 20 times, it'd be well worth it. =) If you need to refit more than 2/3 times, I think it'd be safe to say, it's probably your audiologist. Mine was extremely nice and most importantly, knowledgeable. First time was a charm. They've been in my ear since I got them at 9am this morning. So far no tenderness.....

That bolded statement says you like them, but we'll expect a mini-review soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #1,085 of 1,871
A very interesting and pleasant surprise with my ES3X's.

There's an album by King Crimson called "The ConstruKction of Light" (2000). Now, this is probably the most dense and intense of all KC albums as all tracks are fairly, well... intense - no nice melodic quiet tracks for the first time ever to contrast with such dense atmosphere.

I always thought this particular album was badly recorded as it always sounded as if the music was coming from a large tin, often sounding very boomy, and even though I think it's quite an underrated album - even by KC enthusiasts - I personally found its very raw power made it one of their best albums in their 40-year history. To make matters worse this is their only album where ALL the drumming & percussion is not acoustic - the drummer using an electronic kit throughout -, a very bold and daring move by KC, a band specially revered by guitarists & drummers (and fair share of bassists out there).

The problem I've always had with this album is that I could never listen to the whole thing as I found it extremely fatiguing using ALL my IEM's, my HD650's and AKG's K141 Monitor, and always kept wondering why this was such a bad recording for a band with previous great recordings.

Well, last night I happened to listen to it for the 1st time with my ES3X's and, shock horror, it turns out this album is FULL of very VERY low frequencies! For the first time I could discern exactly what's going on on this album. The ES3X handled it in a TOTALLY unexpected way. For the first time in 9 years I could clearly hear all those very low frequencies. No wonder, I thought, why I could just not listen to the whole thing - it's full of busy passages, most of which have got basses extending really low with some very intricate drumming & percussion also going on. In the end, for the first time, I managed to listen to the the entire album, and a very gratifying experience it was.

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #1,087 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nar1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Photos needed!

Hahah Stolix beat me to it. I got the same colors he did (this thread, p.58), the candy blue and red. Mine were being made when he posted them so I was really glad the combination turned out well.

So far, I do love them! I'm a rookie to this "audiophile" business so pls don't expect any kind of advice/info from my review. I listen to many genres and plan on hitting each one of them before I come to a consensus....back to nirvana.....

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #1,088 of 1,871
It's been awhile i din post anything in this thread...
eventhough it was this thread that made me go for the ES3X...
anyway..
juz wanted to share some experience regarding ES3X...
i actually stopped listening to ES3X few weeks back bcoz i was travelling and i didnt dare to take it wit me...
I only took the W3 with me for the travel...
while the W3 sounds good in the airplane and all...
when i came back to the ES3X...
i was like...
OMG...what have I been missing throughout my travel!
i cant take another listen to the W3 when i have my ES3X with me.
It's that good.

And recently I listened to Krypteria - Bloodangel's Cry...it was...a new experience to say the least! I could feel the ambience very well...sorry i dont know how to describe this...
i feel as if i m sitting in the middle of a concert hall...from then on...i know nothing would beat the ES3X...at least not anytime soon!

I lobe my ES3X! wooohooooo..!!

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #1,090 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by xandman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been awhile i din post anything in this thread...
eventhough it was this thread that made me go for the ES3X...
anyway..
juz wanted to share some experience regarding ES3X...
i actually stopped listening to ES3X few weeks back bcoz i was travelling and i didnt dare to take it wit me...
I only took the W3 with me for the travel...
while the W3 sounds good in the airplane and all...
when i came back to the ES3X...
i was like...
OMG...what have I been missing throughout my travel!
i cant take another listen to the W3 when i have my ES3X with me.
It's that good.

And recently I listened to Krypteria - Bloodangel's Cry...it was...a new experience to say the least! I could feel the ambience very well...sorry i dont know how to describe this...
i feel as if i m sitting in the middle of a concert hall...from then on...i know nothing would beat the ES3X...at least not anytime soon!

I lobe my ES3X! wooohooooo..!!

I hear that the UM3x resembles the ES3x in sound somewhat. Or rather, that the UM3x is like a universal version of the ES3x. Can anyone point out some differences between the two?

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #1,092 of 1,871
HeadPhoneAddict, I gotta say buddy, you were right on with this one. These are nothing short of excellent from a spectrum balance, sound stage, clarity, and enjoyable "musical" sound standpoint. I was seriously hoping these wouldn't sound too analytical, but they struck a great balance with these.

For grins, besides listening to my favorite tracks, I also grabbed a hearing test app off of the Apple app store (Unitron Connect - uHear) to see how my test results compared between some other sets and the ES3X's, and I was pleasantly surprised to see an improvement in every way in my test results.

I have to admit that I was really concerned that I might be missing too much of that enjoyably, somewhat warm "musical" sound I came to really appreciate with the Shure 530 set. I'm glad to report that this was not a disappointment at all.

I was happy enough with my ES3X's that I decided to put up my ATH-A900's and SE530 PTH sets on Ebay tonight to find a new home. I read quite a bit more here than I post, and I take feedback I read from here with a grain of salt because good sound is pretty subjective. I'd say that the characterization of the sound on these in this thread is accurate and I'm very satisfied with the ES3X units.

Oh, and my audiologist had me open and close my mouth and move my jaw a bit, especially early on in the setting process and my fit came out perfectly the first time. I went to see Kim Johnson from Professional Hearing Services in Springfield, VA. I paid $750 for my set, which included the cost of taking the impressions.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #1,093 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oomingmak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear that the UM3x resembles the ES3x in sound somewhat. Or rather, that the UM3x is like a universal version of the ES3x. Can anyone point out some differences between the two?

I've posted this in the UM3X appreciation thread right after CanJam. The UM3X fall between the W3 and ES3X, in that they improve the midrange presence and detail over that of the W3. With my UM56 tips the W3 bass and treble are more level with the mids, so the UM3X with my UM56 custom tips is not a big departure in bass and treble. The ES3X are still better in every way, although I prefer the UM3X over the W3 by a small margin for the richer more vibrant mids.

The UM3X would make a better stage monitor as a musician, and as for soundstage they maybe put you on the first row; while the W3 are more for enjoying the music as an observer, and put you closer to the 10th row of the audience. The ES3X put you anywhere the recording artist wanted you to be when they master the recording, and their reproduction is extremely transparent so they get out of the way and don't seem to add anything to the music other than the way it was intended to be - it's like the real instruments are there.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5734734-post1496.html

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5745918-post931.html

I still have not heard a universal IEM that beats my W3 or the UM3X that I played with at CanJam. But my recabled Livewires come close, and the ES3X are another step above that - in a similar way to how the HD800 are well above the Grado RS-1 or HD600, which are still a very fine headphone.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #1,094 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by icel0rd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadPhoneAddict, I gotta say buddy, you were right on with this one. These are nothing short of excellent from a spectrum balance, sound stage, clarity, and enjoyable "musical" sound standpoint. I was seriously hoping these wouldn't sound too analytical, but they struck a great balance with these.

For grins, besides listening to my favorite tracks, I also grabbed a hearing test app off of the Apple app store (Unitron Connect - uHear) to see how my test results compared between some other sets and the ES3X's, and I was pleasantly surprised to see an improvement in every way in my test results.

I have to admit that I was really concerned that I might be missing too much of that enjoyably, somewhat warm "musical" sound I came to really appreciate with the Shure 530 set. I'm glad to report that this was not a disappointment at all.

I was happy enough with my ES3X's that I decided to put up my ATH-A900's and SE530 PTH sets on Ebay tonight to find a new home. I read quite a bit more here than I post, and I take feedback I read from here with a grain of salt because good sound is pretty subjective. I'd say that the characterization of the sound on these in this thread is accurate and I'm very satisfied with the ES3X units.

Oh, and my audiologist had me open and close my mouth and move my jaw a bit, especially early on in the setting process and my fit came out perfectly the first time. I went to see Kim Johnson from Professional Hearing Services in Springfield, VA. I paid $750 for my set, which included the cost of taking the impressions.

Wow Alright, I like the sound of that price, as well as the quality. Did you buy the 'phones through this audiologist, and thats by they were only $750? I live within easy driving distance, and I would gladly give them some business if I could get them for less than 900. I'm quite interested...

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #1,095 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by icel0rd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cool!

You posted while I was composing my previous long reply to someone else. So, it seems we still have similar thoughts about the ES3X.

The ONLY reason I keep so many high end universal IEM around right now is for using them in my reviews for comparisons. I was tempted to trade my IE8 for an SE530 + IE7 + NE-7M, but I've previously compared SE530 to my Westone 3 and could never go back to the Shure. And I already have an NE-7M for my iPhone. Since I don't like the IE8 as much as my Westone 3, it seems silly to downgrade to the IE7 and then not be able to do a side by side with their flagship IEM when I do get the UM3X for a longer term evaluation.

Same with me keeping my A900 (internal dampening mods and recabled) or similarly modded woodied D2000. I don't like closed cans anymore, but it helps when I am doing amp reviews and I can report on the synergy.

The ES3X will ruin you for most other headphones, short of the HD800 and high end Electrostatics (O2, HE60, Jade).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back