Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Jun 11, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #1,112 of 1,871
The fit and the seal of the ES3X is perfect! But some people said that they disappear in their ears after few minutes, but it doesn't happend to me. I do feel them in the outer ear [only - not in the canal], it doesn't bother but they doesn't disappear.

Anyway, they look amazingly awsome! [and fragile - very fragile as the cord] and the sound just like it came from heaven. It is realy weird to feel like you are underwater and you expect to hear some blurry bassy sound, and what you gets is full rich and balanced sound, it feels realy weird.

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #1,113 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fit and the seal of the ES3X is perfect! But some people said that they disappear in their ears after few minutes, but it doesn't happend to me. I do feel them in the outer ear [only - not in the canal], it doesn't bother but they doesn't disappear.

Anyway, they look amazingly awsome! [and fragile - very fragile as the cord] and the sound just like it came from heaven. It is realy weird to feel like you are underwater and you expect to hear some blurry bassy sound, and what you gets is full rich and balanced sound, it feels realy weird.

I think when people say "disappear" that isn't totally what they mean in terms of tactile sensation. Just that you become more aware of the music and less of the IEM over time as you listen. Just like you don't mean really feeling like you are underwater (no floating sensation or suffocating feeling).
tongue.gif

I am so happy the sound is right for you. It should be right for everyone, if they like the musical instruments to sound real.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #1,114 of 1,871
Quote:

it got me at first too...
about the 'disappear' part...
no worries man...the more u use it...it will slowly disappear...
until at one point...your brain will tell you that the sound IS NOT from an IEM...
it's coming from a surrround speakers!

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #1,115 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think when people say "disappear" that isn't totally what they mean in terms of tactile sensation. Just that you become more aware of the music and less of the IEM over time as you listen. Just like you don't mean really feeling like you are underwater (no floating sensation or suffocating feeling).
tongue.gif

I am so happy the sound is right for you. It should be right for everyone, if they like the musical instruments to sound real.

I'll add that the tactile sensation decreases the more you use the ES3X's, much like when wearing a new pair of glasses, where at first you're aware of them all the time, but after a few days you get used to them and the physical sensation isn't that strong any more and pretty much vanishes.

In fact, 3/4 days ago I was going to post on this very subject asking if others had noticed that their sets become more and more comfy (less intrusive) as they use their sets more. There are times when I completely don't feel I've got anything on (ie the whole earpiece, not just the tips) - started to notice this more clearly after about a week, using them on average 2 hrs a day. BTW, I notice them even less so when lying down, but I intentionally NEVER sleep with them on, though I know I could - just don't think it's healthy for the ears and brain to have that kind of stimulation for hrs on end; also helps keep the IEM's and cables in good nick.

EDIT: Just noticed xandman's post came a few mins before mine.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #1,117 of 1,871
Thank you. Ever since I started using IEM's I have enjoyed them more than full cans because of their convenience and portability. It is difficult for me to have a designated are for full cans because of my busy schedule. IEM's are to me also the ultimate sleeping pill and more often than not, I fall asleep with them on. Never had a problem damaging the wires. Having enjoyed UM2, W3 and UM3X, I have no doubt I will enjoy them a lot!

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #1,118 of 1,871
Hey, about the "disappearing" thing. They do almost totally disappear after few minutes - 15 minutes.

some impressions:
They are very musical, articulate, smooth and natural. The sound is very balanced, but I still think there should be abit [realy realy abit] more treble/upper mid-range. and the soundstage, OH! WOW! AMAZING! So holographic and have a great spatial feeling with great imaging capabilities. The bass is tight, punchy but not overwhelming, just in the right amount, and with alot of details - generally, the sound is extremly detialed.
The mid-range is very smooth and natural, giving the recording life-like feeling, very realistic and well defined. The treble is very fast, with great attack and decay, there is NO sibilance, it is very articulate and have a great special sparkling [don't know how to explain XD], but I feel it lack sometimes, it realy depends on the recording, I don't realy know if there is realy any lack in treble, I just got used to the birght AKG K702.

Anyway, the sound is spectacular+++ over the entire spectrum! I will recommend this 'phones to any one who REALY wants some high-end, top-quality portable sound system.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #1,119 of 1,871
Quote:

Hey, about the "disappearing" thing. They do almost totally disappear after few minutes - 15 minutes.

some impressions:
They are very musical, articulate, smooth and natural. The sound is very balanced, but I still think there should be abit [realy realy abit] more treble/upper mid-range. and the soundstage, OH! WOW! AMAZING! So holographic and have a great spatial feeling with great imaging capabilities. The bass is tight, punchy but not overwhelming, just in the right amount, and with alot of details - generally, the sound is extremly detialed.
The mid-range is very smooth and natural, giving the recording life-like feeling, very realistic and well defined. The treble is very fast, with great attack and decay, there is NO sibilance, it is very articulate and have a great special sparkling [don't know how to explain XD], but I feel it lack sometimes, it realy depends on the recording, I don't realy know if there is realy any lack in treble, I just got used to the birght AKG K702.

Anyway, the sound is spectacular+++ over the entire spectrum! I will recommend this 'phones to any one who REALY wants some high-end, top-quality portable sound system.

It only took me a few days to realize that none of my full size dynamic headphones at the time could compete with the ES3X, even at 2x the cost. I had to grab my Stax, Senn HE60 or Jade to get the clarity, transparency, detail and speed of the ES3X. At this point the new HD800 are serious competition, making them the first dynamic can to reach that level for me at close to double the cost of an ES3X.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #1,120 of 1,871
Quote:

some impressions:

Nice impressions pila405.

Re: the lack of just a little extra treble/upper mid-range, I'm convinced this is more to do with the quality of the recording used. There are some recordings where I hear pretty much what you describe, but I don't think this is to do with the ES3X's treble/ upper-mids delivery because there are so many other recordings where I find the treble/ upper-mids simply perfect, knowing that if more treble/ mids was present these recordings would sound a bit shrill AND fatiguing. I've got so many recordings where cymbals and other high frequencies sound so crisp and clear that I just think 'Thank God there ISN'T any more treble as the sound would most definitely be spoilt'. But, of course, we all have our own preferences. Bach's Mass in B Minor (Karajan & the Berlin Philharmonic, 2000 Remastered) springs to mind as a perfect delivery by the ES3X's - in this particular recording, all frequencies are faithfully represented, in my view.

Now, pila405, where are those pix?

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #1,121 of 1,871
Quick question from a UM3x-owner with a good fit using biflanges: Is there more or less bass in quantity with the es3x compared to the former?
I feel that there's a little peak in the midrange with the um3x that I only hear on some recordings and on higher volume levels, how does the es3x fare in that regard?

Overall I think the um3x is very balanced and suits my taste great. This is bad since the es3x could be better and will be way more comfortable...

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #1,122 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice impressions pila405.

Re: the lack of just a little extra treble/upper mid-range, I'm convinced this is more to do with the quality of the recording used. There are some recordings where I hear pretty much what you describe, but I don't think this is to do with the ES3X's treble/ upper-mids delivery because there are so many other recordings where I find the treble/ upper-mids simply perfect, knowing that if more treble/ mids was present these recordings would sound a bit shrill AND fatiguing. I've got so many recordings where cymbals and other high frequencies sound so crisp and clear that I just think 'Thank God there ISN'T any more treble as the sound would most definitely be spoilt'. But, of course, we all have our own preferences. Bach's Mass in B Minor (Karajan & the Berlin Philharmonic, 2000 Remastered) springs to mind as a perfect delivery by the ES3X's - in this particular recording, all frequencies are faithfully represented, in my view.

Now, pila405, where are those pix?

You are right, it sounds like that only with not so good mastered recordings. But I am not so sensitive for some extra treble
smily_headphones1.gif
But as it is now it is just PERFECT.

I also have this recording of Karajan, will audition it later.

About the pics, I am about making some pro pictures with Mamiya camera body and Leaf medium format back [22 Mega pixels] with flashing and this things. My father is a pro photographer so he will do it
wink_face.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #1,123 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuglufttier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question from a UM3x-owner with a good fit using biflanges: Is there more or less bass in quantity with the es3x compared to the former?
I feel that there's a little peak in the midrange with the um3x that I only hear on some recordings and on higher volume levels, how does the es3x fare in that regard?

Overall I think the um3x is very balanced and suits my taste great. This is bad since the es3x could be better and will be way more comfortable...

The ES3X will NOT be way more comfortable, at least with soft grey silicone tips. I use these with my UM3X and the comfort equals or even slightly surpasses that of the ES3X's. At least, in my case, the comfort level of the UM3X is practically second to none - I literally didn't (and still don't) feel I had them on AT ALL after 1 or 2 minutes from the get go with these particular tips - I've mentioned elsewhere that all other tips I've found wrong-sounding & painful in my ears.

As for the bass, in my case, I get deeper extension & clarity -- not necessarily more bass, though -- with the ES3X's. To me the UM3X is truly a remarkable universal IEM, and I've not heard anything like it before (with the soft grey tips).

Quote:

You are right, it sounds like that only with not so good mastered recordings. But I am not so sensitive for some extra treble
smily_headphones1.gif
But as it is now it is just PERFECT.

I also have this recording of Karajan, will audition it later.

About the pics, I am about making some pro pictures with Mamiya camera body and Leaf medium format back [22 Mega pixels] with flashing and this things. My father is a pro photographer so he will do it
wink_face.gif

Let me tell you one thing, pila405 - I won't be too happy seeing better photos than the ones I've shown here! So, please don't let your father do them, they've got to be taken by you! :)

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #1,124 of 1,871
As I don't have those tips and the complys don't fit, I have to stick to the biflanges right, they sound good and are ok in terms of comfort.

I really like the bass on the um3x and what you said about the es3x sounds even better
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #1,125 of 1,871
Don't worry music 4321, your pair is flawless while mine still have some few realy minor bubbles and inner dust. Mine are also smaller, so it isn't arranged as nice as yours.
Yours realy seems to be more refined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back