Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Jun 10, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #1,097 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nar1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow Alright, I like the sound of that price, as well as the quality. Did you buy the 'phones through this audiologist, and thats by they were only $750? I live within easy driving distance, and I would gladly give them some business if I could get them for less than 900. I'm quite interested...

I'm sure Professional Hearing Services would sell them to you for the same price as me. They are Westone dealers and it was a 1 stop shop for me. I went there to get impressions, pick up and get a fit check.

Tell them you were referred there by Darnell Horton, a recent customer and that you were told that the cost was $750 for a pair of ES3X monitors, and I'm sure they'd be happy to order you some. Make sure you tell them ES3'X' or you could end up with an ES3 set with the bump in the mids :)

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #1,098 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool!
The ES3X will ruin you for most other headphones, short of the HD800 and high end Electrostatics (O2, HE60, Jade).

Yeah, I think you're right about that. The ES3X set doesn't seem to overdo anything. There doesn't seem to be too much or too little of anything; it's just right.

I'm going to be spending a LOT more time with these things since they're really comfortable. I don't see my ears getting sore from wearing these. I used to run into comfort issues with my universals after a while, but that's a done deal now.

I also think it's interesting that they use separate tubes all the way to your canal for the drivers and allow the sound to mix in your ear/head itself. Maybe that is what's responsible for the increase in clarity..? It really makes me wonder how they test these things too.

They did a pretty good job on these things and I'm having trouble finding something to complain about. I suppose I'm going to struggle with the idea that it might be tough to satisfy the "next best thing" itch, but I think I can make peace with that idea... I know my wallet would appreciate it.

Anyway, I'm going to drop all sorts of music through these and see how it all sounds compared to what I thought was pretty good before in other phones. This should be interesting...

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #1,099 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by icel0rd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure Professional Hearing Services would sell them to you for the same price as me.

... in Taiwan?
frown.gif

Quote:

I also think it's interesting that they use separate tubes all the way to your canal for the drivers and allow the sound to mix in your ear/head itself.

How many tubes? On the pictures, I see two; but aren't there three drivers? Which ones get "pre-mixed" then?

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #1,100 of 1,871
Quote:

I'm sure Professional Hearing Services would sell them to you for the same price as me. They are Westone dealers and it was a 1 stop shop for me. I went there to get impressions, pick up and get a fit check.

Tell them you were referred there by Darnell Horton, a recent customer and that you were told that the cost was $750 for a pair of ES3X monitors, and I'm sure they'd be happy to order you some. Make sure you tell them ES3'X' or you could end up with an ES3 set with the bump in the mids :)

Hey thanks! Much appreciated. I'm going to call them tomorrow and make an appointment. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #1,101 of 1,871
The monitors are at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an incredible sound! will post impressions/review soon.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #1,102 of 1,871
Congrat congrat congrat!
Won't think 'bout JH13Pro now will ya?

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #1,103 of 1,871
No chance, the ES3X are soooooo good - and are soo for my taste, that i can't believe the jh13 will be better, just no chance! nothing can beat the esx :p.... kidding, when the hype will over i will post some serious review.

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #1,104 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A very interesting and pleasant surprise with my ES3X's.

There's an album by King Crimson called "The ConstruKction of Light" (2000). Now, this is probably the most dense and intense of all KC albums as all tracks are fairly, well... intense - no nice melodic quiet tracks for the first time ever to contrast with such dense atmosphere.

I always thought this particular album was badly recorded as it always sounded as if the music was coming from a large tin, often sounding very boomy, and even though I think it's quite an underrated album - even by KC enthusiasts - I personally found its very raw power made it one of their best albums in their 40-year history. To make matters worse this is their only album where ALL the drumming & percussion is not acoustic - the drummer using an electronic kit throughout -, a very bold and daring move by KC, a band specially revered by guitarists & drummers (and fair share of bassists out there).

The problem I've always had with this album is that I could never listen to the whole thing as I found it extremely fatiguing using ALL my IEM's, my HD650's and AKG's K141 Monitor, and always kept wondering why this was such a bad recording for a band with previous great recordings.

Well, last night I happened to listen to it for the 1st time with my ES3X's and, shock horror, it turns out this album is FULL of very VERY low frequencies! For the first time I could discern exactly what's going on on this album. The ES3X handled it in a TOTALLY unexpected way. For the first time in 9 years I could clearly hear all those very low frequencies. No wonder, I thought, why I could just not listen to the whole thing - it's full of busy passages, most of which have got basses extending really low with some very intricate drumming & percussion also going on. In the end, for the first time, I managed to listen to the the entire album, and a very gratifying experience it was.

music_4321,

This echos my own experience with the ES3X. All of us have our own reference materials (has someone already started a reference material thread with accurate descriptors for what to listen for?), and some music that we put aside due to a painful auditory experience, at least pre ES3X. In walks the ES3X and reproduces things in a way that makes the music not just tolerable, but enjoyable! I have so many examples that echo your experience. The ES3X reproduce the low end with such quality of timbre, impact and verisimilitude.

Added 6/10/09 0918
The ES3X also has me buying more music! What an addiction!

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #1,105 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No chance, the ES3X are soooooo good - and are soo for my taste, that i can't believe the jh13 will be better, just no chance! nothing can beat the esx :p.... kidding, when the hype will over i will post some serious review.

Congrats pila405! What a long journey! Hopefully, all the speculation and doubt have been removed! Listen and enjoy!

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #1,106 of 1,871
Interesting. It sounds llike the ES3X is easy on the years, which can be a huge factor when it comes to listening to a lot of rock and pop. The reports on the JH13 is that it is a heavy hitter, meaning it has the "wow" factor. However, I don't think anyone has spent enough time with them to determine how they would do with listener fatigue on some the great albums that may be a bit harsh sounding.

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #1,107 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats pila405! What a long journey! Hopefully, all the speculation and doubt have been removed! Listen and enjoy!

Not only do we expect a review but we also demand some photos!

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #1,108 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. It sounds llike the ES3X is easy on the years, which can be a huge factor when it comes to listening to a lot of rock and pop. The reports on the JH13 is that it is a heavy hitter, meaning it has the "wow" factor. However, I don't think anyone has spent enough time with them to determine how they would do with listener fatigue on some the great albums that may be a bit harsh sounding.

Good points kclone re listener fatigue. Some types of "wow" factor are attributed to chest thumping, stomach punching dynamics. (I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's impressions on the JH13.) I attribute the ES3X "wow!" factor to a lush, full, but even delivery, especially in that all important midrange. Instead of fireworks that last for a little while, the purity of delivery draws you into the music for the long haul. Maybe it's a bit like your Red Wine Audio amp/preamp?
wink_face.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #1,110 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
music_4321,

This echos my own experience with the ES3X. All of us have our own reference materials (has someone already started a reference material thread with accurate descriptors for what to listen for?), and some music that we put aside due to a painful auditory experience, at least pre ES3X. In walks the ES3X and reproduces things in a way that makes the music not just tolerable, but enjoyable! I have so many examples that echo your experience. The ES3X reproduce the low end with such quality of timbre, impact and verisimilitude.

Added 6/10/09 0918
The ES3X also has me buying more music! What an addiction!

After my comments on the KC album, I listened to Brian Eno's Nerve Net (1992), where you'll find some more frequencies extending very VERY low, particularly in the tracks 'Juju Space Jazz', 'My Squelchy Life' & 'The Roil, The Choke', here all textures are handled with aplomb by the ES3X - NO fatigue, unbelievable!

There's another Eno album called On Land (1882) -- perhaps my favourite Eno album -- completely instrumental & quietish yet somewhat unnerving in some places - this one being musically radically different from Nerve Net, and this album's got even lower frequencies all over the place and plenty of subtle textures. Simply astonishing to listen to this with the ES3X's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back