Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Jun 5, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #1,067 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutarsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the Westone heat sensitive tips on my (custom) ES2s since late 2007 and I love the comfort and durability. BTW, I've sweated buckets while wearing them during very strenuous exercise in some pretty hostile climates with no problem. They have not degraded, lost shape or yellowed during this period - as some might fear. I even tried to talk HPA out of his idea to bypass the soft tips when he was contemplating the ES3X - not sure if I had any effect (I don't think the ES3X come in full acrylic) but he loves the soft tips now!

FWIW, I listened to the entire JH and UE (IEM) lines during CanJam. While I wasn't able to A/B the ES3X with any of the others and I do have a difficult ear canal to fit for universal IEMs I can say that nothing I was able to hear at either vendor table made me feel like I wasn't totally happy with the ES3X. (More on those impressions later)

I'm very interested in these impressions whenever you get around to them.

RE ES2 durability: I had mine halfway accross the world and through tropical heat and humidity or bitter cold it was fine, being in my pocket in a pouch with no other protection. The only real issue is the clear cable's tendency to turn green, but I don't know if this has any effect on sonics.

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #1,068 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutarsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd PM Powderhound. perhaps he can intervene.

I've had the Westone heat sensitive tips on my (custom) ES2s since late 2007 and I love the comfort and durability. BTW, I've sweated buckets while wearing them during very strenuous exercise in some pretty hostile climates with no problem. They have not degraded, lost shape or yellowed during this period - as some might fear. I even tried to talk HPA out of his idea to bypass the soft tips when he was contemplating the ES3X - not sure if I had any effect (I don't think the ES3X come in full acrylic) but he loves the soft tips now!

FWIW, I listened to the entire JH and UE (IEM) lines during CanJam. While I wasn't able to A/B the ES3X with any of the others and I do have a difficult ear canal to fit for universal IEMs I can say that nothing I was able to hear at either vendor table made me feel like I wasn't totally happy with the ES3X. (More on those impressions later)

I did however have a fantastic listen with my ES3X and the new Headamp Pico Slim - Justin's new offering has serious synergy with the ES3X and is definitely something to jump on.

They come standard in heat sensitive tips, and can be special ordered as full acrylic. Mine do have the heat-sensitive tips, and I posted my positive impressions of that feature within the past day or two. Thanks!

I told Justin I am in 100% for a Pico slim as well, and loved it with my ES3X.

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #1,069 of 1,871
My monitors are on their way to me! To their new home!

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #1,070 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My monitors are on their way to me! To their new home!

Pretty exciting pila405! We're anxious to hear about your experience.

I'll be posting some follow-up comments re the results on my ES3X redo (more on that later). There are some physical manifestations of changes to the more recent versions. Working with Westone has been a pleasure. I have a call in for Dave at Westone on the changes, but all I can say about my new redo is "Wow!"

Anyway pila405, I think you're gonna really enjoy your new ES3X!

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #1,071 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They come standard in heat sensitive tips, and can be special ordered as full acrylic. Mine do have the heat-sensitive tips, and I posted my positive impressions of that feature within the past day or two. Thanks!

I told Justin I am in 100% for a Pico slim as well, and loved it with my ES3X.

The heat sensitive tips disappear in use. Exceptional fit and comfort in my experience.

I'm in for the Pico Slim as well! Bring it on Justin!

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #1,072 of 1,871
Anyone is selling his PICO Amp/DAC combo? Cause I am about to buy it right now!
biggrin.gif

Need the DAC to hear through my computer unfortunatly - otherwise I would buy the slim...

Anyway - I hope I won't have to send my moniotrs back to Westone for any refits - I will not be able to handle with it.

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #1,073 of 1,871
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Need the DAC to hear through my computer unfortunatly - otherwise I would buy the slim...

Anyway - I hope I won't have to send my moniotrs back to Westone for any refits - I will not be able to handle with it.

What about this one?: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...-se-eu-427721/

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #1,074 of 1,871
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Since I got the P-51 I have thought about selling my Predator, but I just can't part with it once I grab it and listen to it again. The Pico DAC/amp is also good with IEM and I can't give that up either. You should look into an iBasso D10 which sounds like a Predator with the Pico DAC, and you can roll opamps to sound like a Pico or P-51 later, for under $300 entry. The only one I might part with soon is my iBasso D2 Boa, and it still serves a purpose in my iMac in the kitchen.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #1,075 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I got the P-51 I have thought about selling my Predator, but I just can't part with it once I grab it and listen to it again. The Pico DAC/amp is also good with IEM and I can't give that up either. You should look into an iBasso D10 which sounds like a Predator with the Pico DAC, and you can roll opamps to sound like a Pico or P-51 later, for under $300 entry. The only one I might part with soon is my iBasso D2 Boa, and it still serves a purpose in my iMac in the kitchen.

I was thinking about the iBasso D10 too for the voicing options, and the pricing is very appealing. Op-amp rolling can be fun too!

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #1,076 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking about the iBasso D10 too for the voicing options, and the pricing is very appealing. Op-amp rolling can be fun too!

Yes - I am going to play with the OPA2350 again this week, since it is dead silent with the ES3X and sounded very engaging and immersive (with AD8616 buffers) the first time I tried it.

With the AD743 opamps/AD8616 buffers it reminds me of the P-51 mustang, while stock it is like a Predator clone but with a better DAC. But, I have a little hiss with the AD743 and eliminating that with my ES3X is the ONLY reason I would ever consider changing out the AD743. The W3 and IE8 and others have less hiss with the AD743, but the ES3X and Livewires are just more sensitive than the others. (will have to check my Freq Show and SE530 custom molded IEM with it too)

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #1,077 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I do know is that after I'd got my W3 I purchased the Mustang after reading so many 'great' reviews stating what a BIG difference SQ & soundstage wise it made, specially the 'synergy' with Westone 3 - My ears told me this was NOT the case - didn't make it worse either, but improved SQ & soundsatge DEFINITELY not.
I'd also read reviews stating this or that LOD cable improved the sound so much - I tried 3 LOD's, $29, $40, and a DIY $78 one - all 3 made NO DIFFERENCE to me, apart from build quality, looks and flexibility, so expensive LOD + expensive amp didn't REALLY/ SIGNIFICANTLY make any difference - the BIG, noticeable difference was the Westone 3, and now the ES3X.
However, I must also add that I fully respect those who DO find portable amps & LOD's worthwhile.

Interesting and somewhat in line with my findings. I did listen to the Pico's (amp/usb version, Slim), Mustang, Predator using my iPod Classic and UM3X at CanJam. They did improve the sound, but the improvement was minimal. That is the main reason I have not upgraded from my HeadSix. I keep doing A/B comparison with UM3X and there is a definite improvement but to my ears very minor. They sound warmer and deeper, I think there is some soundstage improvement, but if I did not make repeated A/B comparisons I would not miss the sound difference much. The IEM (no the amplifier) is the major factor in sound quality I have noticed as I keep slowly moving up to higher end products.
Having said that, I may eventually get me a small Amp/Dac like D10, Predator or Pico.
icon10.gif

It will take me a week or so to jump all the hoops involved in ordering my ES3X. Westone and Earphone Solutions have graciously offered to help me, Kathy Peck will charge me only for the impressions and hopefully I can order them soon.
I have noticed lately that this thread postings have slowed down significantly as the JH13 posts increase rapidly, on their way to become the next best thing since hot potatoes. I do think I will stick to Westone's because I love their sound and quality, and once again, their excellent customer service.
Once I purchase this pair, I think I will keep them for the duration of their 3-4 year fit time. I will trade only until I am truly convinced the improvement in sound is significant enough to justify an upgrade.
Or until your enthusiastic babbling about that new custom IEM with 10 drivers per side and neural electrodes to amplify the experience makes me jump in the FOTM wagon!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #1,078 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One problem I think that happens with a lot of people is that they expect MASSIVE differences in sound from one product to another. Take a person on the street and play an 128 kb/s mp3 from a mediocre dap and run that signal through headphone A and do the same but this time run a signal from a vinyl rig through headphone A and a good amount of people won't hear a difference. The reason? They aren't listening to the music. They are hearing sounds no doubt, but they aren't really listening.

I had a friend come over once many years ago with his Sony V600s and he tried my RS-1's, AB'ing the two. His response? They sound the same. Beyond me thinking he's daft and deaf, I started to think about how he actually listens. He cranks the music to ear bleeding levels and wants thumping bass and well, that's about it.

No ideas about nuance, space, air, dynamics etc.

When using something as sensitive as the ES3X's, one expects that they should be easily driven by just about anything. 120 db efficient? Or more? Come on, rubbing your feet on the carpet should generate enough juice to make one deaf! However, there is more to the sound and that comes in the smaller bits. Blacker backgrounds for instance. My 2G Nano is awful with noise, my Macbook Pro is even worse (amp/dac on its way though!). Throwing in a better source and/or amp makes it so that more is revealed. The better the source (in terms of detail retrieval, natural presentation etc) the better the sound coming from the ES3X's. That said, there is no reason that something as simple as an FM tuner and the ES3X's can't be absolutely sublime. In fact, one should be cheering this on! It means it is a whole lot easier to enjoy the music without futzing around with ancillary components. R10's, GS-1000's, HE90's...they all need complicated setups to sound their best, in fact, some would say to sound good at all. The ES3X's? Nope! Their incredible efficiency enables even the meekest amp to get the job done leaving the real leveraging up to the source. Ultimately even with the source there will be diminishing returns, but think about how wonderful it is that one can practically forgo an amp and just concentrate on upgrading the source!

The trick I suppose would be in trying to stop believing the ES3X's or any top IEM are mainly portable doohickies and start thinking about them as high end transducers.

What are the Cons of an IEM?

Isolation. This is also a pro however.
Miniscule headstage and small soundstage
Lack of body crunching bass
Limited to one listener (again this could be a pro)

What are the pros?

Relatively cheap.
Likely the best detail in all of audio.
No room interference.
Easily driven.
Awesome sound anytime anywhere.

There are certainly more in both categories, but the cons I simply can't see growing too much longer in that list. Whereas there are plenty more pros.

High end speakers break the bank, no doubt. They also require excellent rooms, excellent amps, preamps, sources, cables and power regulating/cleaning products. The do permit multiple people to listen at once which is a major plus and they also recreate a very realistic live experience, but their short falls are many and when searching for the absolute sound, it becomes difficult to top out with speakers.

High-end full-sized headphones reduce some of the problems that speakers have but introduce others like limiting the folks who can listen, realistic sound levels, chest thumping bass etc. They also require far more gear to sound their best, sometimes on the same level as speakers! (but thankfully at a lesser price most often).

High-end IEMs reduce those limitations even further while introducing some top tier levels of their own, likely unapproachable by any other form of transducer. But, in each category, the better the source, the better the sound. Yet, it sure is incredible that even straight from a DAP, one can enjoy very high level sound in such a minimal package. DAP + Transducer? That's it? SWEET! If only we had access to a portable DAP, dead silent, natural sound, massive capacity able to decode any codec. Then! We could really talk about top tier sound on the go, but for now, we are at least in the upper mid-fi level with something like a good sounding DAP + ES3X or another IEM on the same level. How difficult would it be to achieve this for the same money using different tech? I'd wager nearly impossible.

I am a month behind (only page 35 so far) but your comments are very well said. Reading it makes it worth all the time I am expending combing this thread. Thanks!

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #1,080 of 1,871
I don't think anyone's had to return it totally, but I think someone had to refit 2 or 3 times. I just got mine today!! If I had to refit 20 times, it'd be well worth it. =) If you need to refit more than 2/3 times, I think it'd be safe to say, it's probably your audiologist. Mine was extremely nice and most importantly, knowledgeable. First time was a charm. They've been in my ear since I got them at 9am this morning. So far no tenderness.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back