Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Jun 4, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #1,052 of 1,871
I am thinking about ordering the ES3X. I just placed an order for the UM56 and have a replacement for defective UM3X. I asked Westone if they would be willing to let me pay the difference for the ES3X instead. I hope they agree, otherwise I will cancel the UM56, sell the UM3X and get me maybe a JH audio product. I think I rather get the Westones. How do you guys think they compare to the Westones? I know nobody has got theirs yet, I llistened to the Universal they had at CanJam, but I really like Westone.

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #1,053 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking about ordering the ES3X. I just placed an order for the UM56 and have a replacement for defective UM3X. I asked Westone if they would be willing to let me pay the difference for the ES3X instead. I hope they agree, otherwise I will cancel the UM56, sell the UM3X and get me maybe a JH audio product. I think I rather get the Westones. How do you guys think they compare to the Westones? I know nobody has got theirs yet, I llistened to the Universal they had at CanJam, but I really like Westone.

If you listened to the universal JH|13 Pro, then you are more knowledgeable on the subject than most everyone here. The true JH|13 Pro is still very much an unknown quantity, though. The ES3X, on the other hand, has been compared favorably to the UE10 pro and UE11 Pro, and their heat-sensitive tips make them the winners in the comfort department.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #1,054 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you listened to the universal JH|13 Pro, then you are more knowledgeable on the subject than most everyone here. The true JH|13 Pro is still very much an unknown quantity, though. The ES3X, on the other hand, has been compared favorably to the UE10 pro and UE11 Pro, and their heat-sensitive tips make them the winners in the comfort department.

The JH13 sounded very nice but I already have some investment in Westone and very much like the Westone sound. Their cable is IMHO the best. The cable of the JH13 was a little more rigid.
Anyway, If they accept my request, I am all for the ES3X.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #1,055 of 1,871
Quote:

The JH13 sounded very nice but I already have some investment in Westone and very much like the Westone sound. Their cable is IMHO the best. The cable of the JH13 was a little more rigid.
Anyway, If they accept my request, I am all for the ES3X.

For all the little that it's worth: so would I.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #1,056 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2, I got here few years ago and get advice on headphone. Got a HD600 but needs an IEM advice early this year. Guess what, bought a W5000, AD2000, ESW10JPN but wait, I come back for IEM. Got a W3, traded W3 for UM3x and thinking about ES3x soon.

That's funny. And I thought I was the only one!
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #1,059 of 1,871
I spoke with Westone today, as well as earphone solutions. I am getting a brand new replacement for my UM3X, yet both companies refused to let me upgrade to the EX3X instead. I wanted credit for it and paying the difference towards the ES3X. I am not sure I understand why they would not do it. Westone said it needs to be done trough earphone solutions, and they in turn said it needs to be done through Westone.
I guess what I will do is sell the UM3x here and then purchase a customs product. Only problem is if Westone declined to help me (they said they can't) I may have to go for the JH13.
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #1,060 of 1,871
Quote:

I spoke with Westone today, as well as earphone solutions. I am getting a brand new replacement for my UM3X, yet both companies refused to let me upgrade to the EX3X instead. I wanted credit for it and paying the difference towards the ES3X. I am not sure I understand why they would not do it. I guess what I will do is sell the UM3x here and then purchase a customs product. Only problem is if Westone declined to help me (they said they can't) I may have to go for the JH13.
frown.gif

Since it was purchased from an outside vendor, we cannot take the unit back for exchange. The vendor is was purchased from would need to issue the credit. Are they willing to just give you a straight up refund and then use that $$ towards the ES3X?

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #1,061 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since it was purchased from an outside vendor, we cannot take the unit back for exchange. The vendor is was purchased from would need to issue the credit. Are they willing to just give you a straight up refund and then use that $$ towards the ES3X?

yes! this is the email they sent me: Dear Enrique,
We don't have it listed on the site, but we will do the exchange for you. The ES3X is $850.00.
Please have Westone send the UM3X to you and then send it to us:
Your RA# is 53393 and it's GOOD FOR 10 DAYS.
can you guys just have earphone solutions send you the replacement instead of to me? that way I could order the ES3X today!

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #1,062 of 1,871
Quote:

We don't have it listed on the site, but we will do the exchange for you. The ES3X is $850.00.
can you guys just have earphone solutions send you the replacement instead of to me? that way I could order the ES3X today!

Glad things seem to be working out for you - Welcome to the club!

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #1,063 of 1,871
Quote:

That would be great to take the credit and get the ES3X. The only dynamic headphone I have tried that comes close to the immersion in the music like the ES3X is the new HD800 (about 100 hours of burn-in). But you don't need a $1000 source and $1000 amp to get there with the ES3X.

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #1,065 of 1,871
Quote:

Only problem is if Westone declined to help me (they said they can't) I may have to go for the JH13.
frown.gif

I'd PM Powderhound. perhaps he can intervene.

I've had the Westone heat sensitive tips on my (custom) ES2s since late 2007 and I love the comfort and durability. BTW, I've sweated buckets while wearing them during very strenuous exercise in some pretty hostile climates with no problem. They have not degraded, lost shape or yellowed during this period - as some might fear. I even tried to talk HPA out of his idea to bypass the soft tips when he was contemplating the ES3X - not sure if I had any effect (I don't think the ES3X come in full acrylic) but he loves the soft tips now!

FWIW, I listened to the entire JH and UE (IEM) lines during CanJam. While I wasn't able to A/B the ES3X with any of the others and I do have a difficult ear canal to fit for universal IEMs I can say that nothing I was able to hear at either vendor table made me feel like I wasn't totally happy with the ES3X. (More on those impressions later)

I did however have a fantastic listen with my ES3X and the new Headamp Pico Slim - Justin's new offering has serious synergy with the ES3X and is definitely something to jump on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back