Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Apr 20, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #633 of 1,871
ES3X SN150 arrived today!....only to discover that:

1. The left phone was intermittantly inoperative. The audiologist was not able to determine if it was the cable or earpiece socket.

2. Cable plugs do not seat flush on either earpiece. A fair-sized gap with pins visible between earpiece and cable plug.

3. Wrong color cable shipped.

My cables from my FreqShows seemed to work OK, but I am not sure that there is not part of the crossover located in the cable where it splits into L & R. The defective side took much less force to insert and remove the cable than did the right side.

At any rate, I am disappointed in the apparent lack of QC at Westone, considering that these are considered to be their flagship series.

Hopefully, I will not have to wait another 3 weeks to receive them back.

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #634 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ES3X SN150 arrived today!....only to discover that:

1. The left phone was intermittantly inoperative. The audiologist was not able to determine if it was the cable or earpiece socket.

2. Cable plugs do not seat flush on either earpiece. A fair-sized gap with pins visible between earpiece and cable plug.

3. Wrong color cable shipped.

My cables from my FreqShows seemed to work OK, but I am not sure that there is not part of the crossover located in the cable where it splits into L & R. The defective side took much less force to insert and remove the cable than did the right side.

At any rate, I am disappointed in the apparent lack of QC at Westone, considering that these are considered to be their flagship series.

Sorry to hear that!!! This is not boding well!! What's going on with the LEFT ear pieces?? That's usually the side that has the imbalance problem.
I too have a similar issue with the cable not sitting flush with the right ear piece. Although it's not effecting SQ, it's still not aesthetically pleasing. At this rate, think it's fair enough to say that we make the issues known to Westone. There's really no excuse for the slack in QC!!

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #635 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EyeAmEye, would you think its worth getting the ES3X since i already have the UE-11s?

Tough call, really. Have you heard the W3? I would say the ES3X rests somewhere in between the sig of the W3 and the UE11. It really boils mostly down to how you feel about the UE11's bass. It has always been bloated in my opinion and hid some of the midrange detail. It's an enjoyable listen, no question, but I find the ES3X more balanced and equally enjoyable, so it suits my taste better. It's lighter also and more comfortable, so that's a bonus.

If you are really enjoying the UE11 and have no issues with the SQ, there is probably no need to get the ES3X.

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #636 of 1,871
This is so maddening I know...

I received my (faulty) ES3X's exactly one week ago and it was #133, so they're manufacturing already about 20 pairs per week at the moment -- perhaps too much for them to give every pair the time and attention it needs.

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #638 of 1,871
That's what I was thinking... They're really cranking them out! You would think their QC manager would be aware of the fact that the time it takes to get it right the first time is less costly than rework! Hopefully Powderhound is also monitoring this thread and taking the info back.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #641 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tough call, really. Have you heard the W3? I would say the ES3X rests somewhere in between the sig of the W3 and the UE11. It really boils mostly down to how you feel about the UE11's bass. It has always been bloated in my opinion and hid some of the midrange detail. It's an enjoyable listen, no question, but I find the ES3X more balanced and equally enjoyable, so it suits my taste better. It's lighter also and more comfortable, so that's a bonus.

If you are really enjoying the UE11 and have no issues with the SQ, there is probably no need to get the ES3X.

Thanks for your post. It might save me some bucks. I'm currently using the UE11 with the Imod/Vcap Dock and Lisa III and the sound for me is perfect with tight and never bloated bass. When using the UE11 straight with an Ipod Classic in certain songs I hear an uncontrolled bass but since I never use them on the go (and would never expose a U$850 phone to the street) the ES3X would be like a side grade phone to my main rig.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #642 of 1,871
.............................snip................. ............................

My cables from my FreqShows seemed to work OK, but I am not sure that there is not part of the crossover located in the cable where it splits into L & R. ..........................

..............................snip................ .............................

I checked with Westone, and they told me that all of the crossover components are located in the earpieces, and that the cables are just that...cables.

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #643 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They had my set for repair for 7 days + 4 days' shipping tme both ways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hopefully Powderhound is also monitoring this thread and taking the info back.

6 days ago (14th April) I emailed the following to the person I was dealing with at Westone: "...you may not be aware of the following which was posted on the head-fi website only yesterday: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...ml#post5605032 -- it was posted on the main ES3X thread which is already 38 pages long, with over 500 posts already."

So, they're aware of said issues, and my guess is that even without the link provided above Westone have been monitoring this thread all along -- Here's a reminder again of their reply the same day: "...thank you for providing me with the link below. I have presented this matter to the appropriate people on our music team..."

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #645 of 1,871
You guys are making me antsy again. I really want mine to be done right from the start. I'm planning to use them on a gig in Mid May, and the sound Techs are already chomping at the bit as I'll be the first one bringing in the Westone ES3X to play. Everyone else there uses the Shure scl5's or UE's so they are anxious to hear my assessment.

Dear Westone-

Please don't screw mine up!

Later-

Charlton Ho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back