Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Apr 22, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #661 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well ideally you should have them silver too and I think with steves livewires cable he makes the connectors himself, but the length of the pins is sooo tiny that it isnt enough to make any impact on the sound. but if you are gonna take it that far the circuitry in the ipod should be silver, the amp should all be silver too. all these things in an ideal world would be so; but we are out to control what we can and if you go optical out of iriver to dac/amp then straight to piccolino I think youre pretty safe. thats all i'm saying on the subject though; i'm not interested in getting into a back and forth about it. i'm not the opnly one saying these things; everyone I know that has had any experience with piccolino says the same thing.

The other question I have about the Piccolino; is the cable pliable enough so that when one wears the ES3X correctly, does the cable wrap over and behind the ears nicely? The cable looks rather stiff in pictures. Thanks.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #662 of 1,871
its not stiff at all; its the most flexible wire I know of other than the stock W3 cable; piccolino is another name for flexible piccolo; which is piccolino's bigger brother in the crystal cables line. thinking about it now, it might actually cost you more than $500; i'll let them answer that for sure. depends on how long you want it. I would be surprised if it were stiffer than the westone ES3X cable as that appears to be thicker than the W3 cable and remember that you only need 2 strands for 4 signals, so only one strand per channel

which pictures ?? you might also be looking at picclo

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #664 of 1,871
aha, the one I linked. good that you read that thread, because its a good review of the stuff IMO and my comments in there still stand to this day. I still havent come across another wire that competes. but we should probably move on as this isnt a piccolino thread.

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #666 of 1,871
will do, wont be for about a month just over. late may beginning of june is when i'm aiming for. If I can wangle a supply of it myself it might be sooner; but I dont like my chances of that. and even then the price of the bare wire isnt peanuts either.

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #667 of 1,871
It has begun...

3465748504_bb731d8424.jpg

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #668 of 1,871
I found the piccolino cable for Livewires to need 150-200 hours on them to smooth out the sound, and the LW with Piccolino were very picky about what amp and source I used. With my iBasso D2 or D2 (I forget) it was too bright during burn-in, but when I tried the LW/piccolino with my iMod and Headamp Pico all I could describe the sound as was "stunning". It was as transparent as my stat rigs, but with just a little less bass and presence than I would have liked. To me, based on poor auditory memory, I would still prefer my stock ES3X to the LW/piccolino cable. I bet I would prefer the ES3X/piccolino even more. But, I just don't want to spend $500-600 on a headphone cable.

Apr 24, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #671 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious, do you guys use a diff case to store your ES3X + player or just use the provided pelican case?

I use the small D-shaped Westone zipper case. See my photos in my review earlier in the thread.

Apr 24, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #673 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey larry

ah ic. Can you recommend something that can fit a fuze/mustang too?
tongue.gif

The larger zipper case that comes with the Klipsch Image X10.

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #675 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imagine getting into some minor accident with your ES3x and your $500 piccolino cable snaps. Ouch.

not likely, have you had any experience with piccolino?? its hugely flexible and tough as nails. all the same, the thought doesnt bare thinking about; luckily its more likely to detach from the housing (pull the plug) than actually snap. plus unless totally destroyed I would be able to salvage it anyway. bit of heatshionk and a soldering iron. of course wouldnt be ideal, but i'm not worried; likely i'll be insuring them anyway.

and LOL @ Larry having a case from every IEM he owns for different situations hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back