Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Apr 24, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #676 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not likely, have you had any experience with piccolino?? its hugely flexible and tough as nails. all the same, the thought doesnt bare thinking about; luckily its more likely to detach from the housing (pull the plug) than actually snap. plus unless totally destroyed I would be able to salvage it anyway. bit of heatshionk and a soldering iron. of course wouldnt be ideal, but i'm not worried; likely i'll be insuring them anyway.

and LOL @ Larry having a case from every IEM he owns for different situations hehe

mix & match; IEMs and case.

I use Shure SE110 pouch with my IE8

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #677 of 1,871
yes, I use pelican 1020 for carying just IEMs (which I believe is the same as the westone tough case. but I also use the W3 D shaped case.

Apr 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #679 of 1,871
Well, today my ES3Xs, SN150, returned home from Westone, where they were sent exactly 7 days ago due to faults discovered when they were first delivered.

Westone discovered a poor solder joint in one of the pin receptacles on the left phone that accounted for the intermittent operation. They also fixed the plug seating so the plugs now fit absolutely flush with the earpiece. As I had ordered a clear cable, and the original cable came in beige, they also replaced that with a clear one, which I must say is the softest, silkiest cable I have ever had on an IEM.

I am completely pleased in every way. The fit is as near to perfect as can be, comfort is better than any IEM I have owned. I find it impossible to break the seal despite my best efforts to do so.

The sound has been described in detail by Headphone Addict and many others, so I will only say that I concur in all respects. If I could only have one headphone, (god forbid!!), to live with the rest of my life, I would have to say this is it.

It is not a phone to analyze amps, sources, recordings or to compare interconnects, rather it is a phone to enjoy music for the sake of music. It spans the entire audio spectrum in such an effortless manner that one quickly forgets there are phones attached to ones head!

All-in-all, they are worth every penny of their cost, even a bargain at that considering the stellar level of performance.

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #680 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It is not a phone to analyze amps, sources, recordings or to compare interconnects, rather it is a phone to enjoy music for the sake of music. It spans the entire audio spectrum in such an effortless manner that one quickly forgets there are phones attached to ones head!

Nice way of putting it and I totally agree -- Glad all's been sorted now.

Well, today I sent my ES3X's back for the second time with a new set of ear impressions as the repairs done recently did fix the channel imbalance problem but not the fit issue, specially the left earpiece. Looks like my first impressions took too long to get to the lab (3 weeks+) from the day they were made and this may be the reason why the 1st & 2nd times the fit wasn't as good as it should have. Keeping my fingers crossed now and hoping it'll be a case of 3rd time lucky.

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #681 of 1,871
Glad to hear everything got settled in a good way HiFlight, and glad you're finally able to enjoy them
smily_headphones1.gif

And I agree with your impressions
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #682 of 1,871
Quote:

Well, today my ES3Xs, SN150, returned home from Westone, where they were sent exactly 7 days ago due to faults discovered when they were first delivered.

Westone discovered a poor solder joint in one of the pin receptacles on the left phone that accounted for the intermittent operation. They also fixed the plug seating so the plugs now fit absolutely flush with the earpiece. As I had ordered a clear cable, and the original cable came in beige, they also replaced that with a clear one, which I must say is the softest, silkiest cable I have ever had on an IEM.

I am completely pleased in every way. The fit is as near to perfect as can be, comfort is better than any IEM I have owned. I find it impossible to break the seal despite my best efforts to do so.

The sound has been described in detail by Headphone Addict and many others, so I will only say that I concur in all respects. If I could only have one headphone, (god forbid!!), to live with the rest of my life, I would have to say this is it.

All-in-all, they are worth every penny of their cost, even a bargain at that considering the stellar level of performance.

Yup, I picked up my refitted es3x's on friday and boy do they isolate a lot better now. Westone's customer service is top-notch. I didn't expect Westone to pay shipping both ways especially since I'm in Canada.

I fully agree with Hiflight's opinion regarding the comfort, isolation and sonic qualities (as of today). However, I would need to try some more headphones before deciding to take one pair with me for eternity... teehee
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #683 of 1,871
Quote:

HAH! I am happy to say, "I told you so!"

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #684 of 1,871
u know what, i realise i do not need an amp for the ES3X.

tried the P51, Predator, Voyager and SR71A, to me the little improvement doesnt call for the need for an amp..

its portable mind blowing sound!..haha..

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #685 of 1,871
Quote:

Did you get the long or short-fitted ES3X?

Apr 28, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #686 of 1,871
Just so everyone is aware. We are watching the threads, we are taking note of the issues and they have been brought up to the team and the lab manager. We're meeting weekly to make sure issues (build quality, wrong color cable, etc.) like this become non-existent. Please do not hesitate to state issues you have had, sometimes it's the only way we really hear about them. We're doing our best to be the best and we greatly value the input of this community and it's members.

Oh and Blutarsky finally won out on the special color when he offered to wax my car for me.. LOL!!

Apr 28, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #687 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just so everyone is aware. We are watching the threads, we are taking note of the issues and they have been brought up to the team and the lab manager. We're meeting weekly to make sure issues (build quality, wrong color cable, etc.) like this become non-existent. Please do not hesitate to state issues you have had, sometimes it's the only way we really hear about them. We're doing our best to be the best and we greatly value the input of this community and it's members.

Oh and Blutarsky finally won out on the special color when he offered to wax my car for me.. LOL!!

Thank you Westone for your input. It seems that some people here have been discouraged from stating frankly what their experience with your products have been like, especially when those experiences have been negative. But it is only by us stating all experiences, positive and negative, can a company improve its products. It is also heartening that you are reading these threads and taking peoples complaints seriously. It is because of this post of yours and your considered response that I would feel confident ordering an ES3X. Regards.

Apr 28, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #688 of 1,871
I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread - it really helped me make my decision. Last Friday I went to the audiologist and my ES3X's should be here in a couple weeks! I went with right: red candy, left: blue candy.

Apr 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #689 of 1,871
Just a couple of comments...

Having had the opportunity to compare the colored cable with the clear, I must say that the clear feels like silk..very soft and comfortable. It is my understanding that they are of equal strength, but that the pigment adds to the more "plastic" feel of the colored cables.

Also, for any Head-Fi-ers in the southwest Florida area, I would most highly recommend Dr. Ricardo Gauthier, of Harbor Audiology in Punta Gorda, FL as a most competent Audiologist. He was the only one in my area that was familiar with audio IEMs and their correct fitting techniques.

The impressions that he made for me resulted in a perfect fit the first time. Additionally, the impressions were overnighted to Westone. I feel that the service I received was superb in all respects!

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #690 of 1,871
Quote:

Just a couple of comments...

Having had the opportunity to compare the colored cable with the clear, I must say that the clear feels like silk..very soft and comfortable. It is my understanding that they are of equal strength, but that the pigment adds to the more "plastic" feel of the colored cables.

I actually originally ordered both the black & (a spare) clear cables, and while I agree the clear one feels smoother, silk-like, and more flexible, the black cable's braiding is more tightly twisted, almost as if glued together (see photos below), making it less likely to untwist and making it feel stronger.

Funny how when I see the photos I took of the Candy Blue with the clear cable I like the combination more than the same photos with a black cable, but when held in my hands I very much preferred the black cable with Candy Blue combo. So, mainly due to the texture I asked Westone to replace my spare clear cable for another black one when I first sent my ES3X's back for repairs.

I also didn't like the white plug on the clear cable, which actually still appears as black on Westone's website: Hearing products for hearing professionals :: Westone -- When I said I wanted a clear cable with a black plug instead of the white one I'd seen from other people's ES3X's before I got mine, I was told the photo on the website was of the older clear cable and that current clear cables only came with a white plug. You can also see on the older model that the braiding is different, more like the black one.

IMG_2901hhh.jpg

IMG_2904kkk.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back