Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Nov 17, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #1,801 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My right is looser than the left too. Always has been. THe sound is fine, but I often feel or perceive that the left is just better, more authoritative sound because of the locked in vacuum-like seal. I'm sending mine back to have the odd ringing in the right fixed up, perhaps I should ask about a refit? Do I need to get new molds?

Yea sometimes i feel the left is slightly richer than the right, but seems like if i twist the right one a bit the seal will be better (but also breaks more easily than the left). I think you should address the refit problem too, i mean why not, its already going back to Westone
tongue.gif
. You shouldn't need new impressions, but shoot a email to Westone to make sure.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #1,802 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing i did notice though, is that the drivers in the right ear are placed in different locations compared to the left. As shown in the attached pic, the bass driver in the right monitor is on the bottom, while the mid and high drivers are on the top. The left monitor is vice versa. From what i've see so far with customs, both monitors are supposed to have the drivers arranged in the same way, would my case cause slight imbalance of treble/bass between the 2 sides?

Actually, the drivers are placed in the way that best fits YOUR ear. There is no "supposed to" with anything custom. It also will not effect any kind of imbalance.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #1,803 of 1,871
Quote:

Honestly, after wearing the ES3X's for months now, I have difficulties with anything but customs entering my ears. I'm hoping that in the near future I'll have the JH13Pros to compare with the ES3Xs, but given the materials, I think the ES3Xs will win out in comfort. They just feel sooooo nice.

My right is looser than the left too. Always has been. THe sound is fine, but I often feel or perceive that the left is just better, more authoritative sound because of the locked in vacuum-like seal. I'm sending mine back to have the odd ringing in the right fixed up, perhaps I should ask about a refit? Do I need to get new molds?

I had my audiologist do new impressions with my refit. I purposely held my mouth open nearly two inches (used the bite block, but also extended my mouth opening). I don't know if that was the key, but the refit feels much more secure and I experience a more positive seal.

EDIT: Comfort is the same, nearly unnoticed after the warmup.

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #1,804 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the drivers are placed in the way that best fits YOUR ear. There is no "supposed to" with anything custom. It also will not effect any kind of imbalance.

Thanks powderhound, I just wanted to make sure because when my first ES3X came drivers on both sides are placed in the same way.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #1,805 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had my audiologist do new impressions with my refit. I purposely held my mouth open nearly two inches (used the bite block, but also extended my mouth opening). I don't know if that was the key, but the refit feels much more secure and I experience a more positive seal.

EDIT: Comfort is the same, nearly unnoticed after the warmup.

I did this the first time around and the left is superb. THe only reason I pick at the right side is because the left is so great. Even so, all of this is just to maximize the experience to the nth degree. I already find the experience completely exhilarating and the sound is at the top scale for me. If I had to choose between the PS-1000 or the ES3X, I'd have to think about it for a while weighing all the factors. The ES3Xs are the only IEM that I have ever heard that would have me consider giving up on full-sized headphones.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #1,806 of 1,871
p0wderhound has already agreed to check out my ES3Xs with the ringing right channel, and the only reason I haven't sent them in yet is because I have been working disgusting amounts of hours and I don't want to be without the ES3Xs just yet. They keep me sane. Or at least more sane than I would otherwise be
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #1,807 of 1,871
Quote:

I did this the first time around and the left is superb. THe only reason I pick at the right side is because the left is so great. Even so, all of this is just to maximize the experience to the nth degree. I already find the experience completely exhilarating and the sound is at the top scale for me. If I had to choose between the PS-1000 or the ES3X, I'd have to think about it for a while weighing all the factors. The ES3Xs are the only IEM that I have ever heard that would have me consider giving up on full-sized headphones.

O_O Wow, those PS1000 are expensive... just googled them, apparently.

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #1,809 of 1,871
Quote:

p0wderhound has already agreed to check out my ES3Xs with the ringing right channel, and the only reason I haven't sent them in yet is because I have been working disgusting amounts of hours and I don't want to be without the ES3Xs just yet. They keep me sane. Or at least more sane than I would otherwise be
wink.gif

It is GOOD to be working in this economy!

I had the ringing too. They'd ring just a bit when I was seating them in my ears. With the new redo's I noticed a couple of differences in the construction: 1.) filters in each of the sound tubes, and 2.) what look like little separators between the x-overs and the drivers. I'm not sure which of these items actually prevent ringing, but they are Ok now.

Good luck on yours Zanth!

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #1,811 of 1,871
when i first got my es3xs, the seal broke on both ears when i smiled really widely, but now it's only the right ear. furthermore, if i turn on the tap, i can definitely hear it louder in the right than the left. lastly, i can sort of hear my fingers rubbing against each other through the right. is there any justifiable cause for a re-mold? i'm outside the 90 day guarantee. am i just too concerned with the minutiae of an otherwise great-sounding pair of monitors?

thanks

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #1,812 of 1,871
What color are the ear wax/impedance filters? Is it white for both bores or white for the mid/high and red for low end?

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #1,813 of 1,871
Quote:

wink.gif

I know whact what you mean. Ever since I got mine, I have taken them to work with me. My office closes at around 5 pm but frequently have to stay 2 or 3 more hours do to paperwork. They keep me sane too.
I am able to work longer and more efficiently while listening to Beethoven.
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #1,814 of 1,871
Who is it on your avatar? I guess he is from the Baroque, but is it The Glorious-Almighty J.S.Bach? If not, than it should be!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back