Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Nov 11, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #1,786 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys. I just want to chime in here and say that while I really appreciated what ES3X can do, I felt that it just doesn't deserve the low-end sources that I have. With my sources, I preferred the sound of my Hifiman RE0 as I found it more balanced and dynamic. So I had to return the ES3X.

I am really not saying RE0 is better, but I am just saying that unless you got a great source, RE0 might be a better and much smarter choice than ES3X.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Too bad...If you had just gone out and bought an Ibasso D4 for a quarter of the ES3X's price, you probably would have been able to enjoy them more - perhaps much more than the RE0.

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #1,787 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kinda interested at the cable upgrade from Null Audio actually.
I wonder if there's much of a difference between the Enyo and Lune series, since the price is almost double.

MaoDi, on the NullAudio website they don't offer cables for the ES series. Did you just get the cable for TF10pro? Same socket as ES3X?

Read the review posted above, the prongs don't fit exactly they are a little loose. But i don't have trouble using it with the ES3X.

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #1,788 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am one of those who think cables don't add much as long as you use a quality cable, I am quite happy with my ES3X. My only concern is that white cables turn green with time, although it does not affect their sound. The Westone cables are very nice and soft.

I love the flexibility of the Westone cable. I just wish I'd gotten the longer one.

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #1,789 of 1,871
Quote:

Hey guys. I just want to chime in here and say that while I really appreciated what ES3X can do, I felt that it just doesn't deserve the low-end sources that I have. With my sources, I preferred the sound of my Hifiman RE0 as I found it more balanced and dynamic. So I had to return the ES3X.

I am really not saying RE0 is better, but I am just saying that unless you got a great source, RE0 might be a better and much smarter choice than ES3X.

What you discovered is not so surprising. What other source, amplification did you try with the ES3X?

Actually, what you've identified is something that I think other's are just starting to discover, or maybe admit, that the ES3X are not so easy to drive, and are so revealing of other shortcomings in the music chain. Oh, they sound pretty good from whatever you might have with you, your iPhone, iPod, whatever. However, to really hear all the music they are capable of requires something much more stout.

Component synergy is important as well, with some combinations sounding better than others. The iPhone is Ok. The Pico Amp/DAC is much better. More-so, in my experience the Pico is a better DAC than it is an amp. To realize what the ES3X are capable of requires a full-fledged desktop system. I'm using the ES3X with my DNA Sonett with wonderful results. However, it's not portable, and it's further up on the monetary chain.

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #1,790 of 1,871
Quote:

It would have made more sense to upgrade your source.

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #1,791 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would have made more sense to upgrade your source.

There are probably many of us thinking the same thing. Why go through all the effort of getting well fitting customs and then not provide them with an adequate source?

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #1,792 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are probably many of us thinking the same thing. Why go through all the effort of getting well fitting customs and then not provide them with an adequate source?

x2

It's generally understood that your system is only approximately as good as the weakest link. If you're gonna spend $850 on the customs, why not spend a fraction of that to get a great dac/amp?

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #1,793 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

It's generally understood that your system is only approximately as good as the weakest link. If you're gonna spend $850 on the customs, why not spend a fraction of that to get a great dac/amp?

Not just the money, but the effort too. I can imagine buying expensive universals, not having the source, and sending them back for a refund. But after getting impressions made for customs and waiting for a good fit (which doesn't always happen on the first try), there is extra incentive to try to get the best out of them.

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #1,795 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

Some people listen to their IEMs mostly on the go.

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #1,796 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people listen to their IEMs mostly on the go.

I see your point. Still, the thought of pairing a $850 earphone solely with an ipod-level dap (or something close) doesn't make much sense...unless I were rich. Then again, if I were rich, I wouldn't be using an ipod; Sony X1000 or iphone would hypothetically be my primary choice. Otherwise, I could invest the extra money in something more practical - for example, for $100 I could donate a meal to 100 needy families for Thanksgiving.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #1,797 of 1,871
ditto

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #1,798 of 1,871
I started out using these for portable use. Pretty amazing that you can attain nearly 85% of what they're capable of out of a DAP or portable. Moving up the ladder to a reference desktop and ancillaries has me listening to these at home only. My lil' Ety ER4P's are now the "road warriors." But ouch they hurt to insert!
frown.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #1,799 of 1,871
I got my ES3X back from refit.
Comfort issue is now solved, though i still find the right monitor a tad looser than the left. I'll try it out for a couple of days and see if it will have a seal problem.

One thing i did notice though, is that the drivers in the right ear are placed in different locations compared to the left. As shown in the attached pic, the bass driver in the right monitor is on the bottom, while the mid and high drivers are on the top. The left monitor is vice versa. From what i've see so far with customs, both monitors are supposed to have the drivers arranged in the same way, would my case cause slight imbalance of treble/bass between the 2 sides?

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #1,800 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started out using these for portable use. Pretty amazing that you can attain nearly 85% of what they're capable of out of a DAP or portable. Moving up the ladder to a reference desktop and ancillaries has me listening to these at home only. My lil' Ety ER4P's are now the "road warriors." But ouch they hurt to insert!
frown.gif

Honestly, after wearing the ES3X's for months now, I have difficulties with anything but customs entering my ears. I'm hoping that in the near future I'll have the JH13Pros to compare with the ES3Xs, but given the materials, I think the ES3Xs will win out in comfort. They just feel sooooo nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my ES3X back from refit.
Comfort issue is now solved, though i still find the right monitor a tad looser than the left. I'll try it out for a couple of days and see if it will have a seal problem.

My right is looser than the left too. Always has been. THe sound is fine, but I often feel or perceive that the left is just better, more authoritative sound because of the locked in vacuum-like seal. I'm sending mine back to have the odd ringing in the right fixed up, perhaps I should ask about a refit? Do I need to get new molds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back