Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Oct 24, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #1,831 of 1,871
Right, my ES3X arrived a while ago. They go with iMod and p-51. I was blown away when I've heard them for the first time. The differences between those customs and Westone 3 are far beyond the ones I expected.
Anyway, here's my toy. Custom artwork done by Variphone.

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #1,832 of 1,871

Quote:
Right, my ES3X arrived a while ago. They go with iMod and p-51. I was blown away when I've heard them for the first time. The differences between those customs and Westone 3 are far beyond the ones I expected.
Anyway, here's my toy. Custom artwork done by Variphone.

Nice!

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #1,834 of 1,871

Quote:
Indeed. The solid black is spectacular with that art work.

00lunar, it looks like you went with acrylic tips. Was good looks the reason? (If so, you hit a home run but I'm curious.)

Actually, the tips are vinyl mate
biggrin.gif
It looks like they're made of acrylic only on the picture, but I did vinyl only to ease my curiosity. I find them a tad more comfortable that full acrylic ones. When holding my ES3X on hand you can tell, that there is noticeable difference between acrylic and vinyl. 

As for the artwork, I wasn't expecting it to be threedimensional. Red colour goes really deep into faceplate, but you can see that only while looking at IEM-s from very close range.

Well, I'm really happy about them. Now it's only a pleasure to choose player for them. Having iMod, p-51 and HM-602 it shouldn't be difficult
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #1,835 of 1,871
Black viny... Cool!

I'm using an iMod with my ES5 and it is a lovely combination. With the Mustang, you should be all set. Please also report back on how that conpares with the 602. You have some nice kit there.

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #1,836 of 1,871
Quote:
Black viny... Cool!

I'm using an iMod with my ES5 and it is a lovely combination. With the Mustang, you should be all set. Please also report back on how that conpares with the 602. You have some nice kit there.

Will do, when HM-602 burns in.  It would be shame, not to give him fair chance to show its quality in front of iMod and p-51 combo, eh
smily_headphones1.gif
?

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #1,838 of 1,871
How much are ES3X's Now impressions and all? All I have are full sized cans and a pair of Etymotic ER-6's I need some serious IEM's....

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #1,839 of 1,871
Guys, I am curious what you think of the dynamic range on ES3X. To my ears, they sounded quite compressed compared to quality dynamic driver headphones, such as DT880, HD650 or FA-003. That was actually one of the main issues I had with them. I always used the "dynamic normalizer" setting on my Sony Walkman to make things sound more interesting. Actually, pretty much all BAs, except for Shure SE530 suffer from this issue to my ears, but I would expect the high end, expensive customs like ES3X to be better in this regard, but they just weren't to my ears. SE530 is the only BA IEM I've heard that has effortless dynamics IMO. Every other BA I tired sounds compressed in one way or another. Could be the fit of course, but with ES3X how exactly could fit impact dynamics?

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #1,841 of 1,871
Feb 17, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #1,842 of 1,871

Quote:
How about unamped?

Well, they're only as good as their source and amp - with my 5.5G iPod video or 2G Nano I did think they were lacking, but with my iPhone 3GS and 4 I was pretty happy.  But adding an LOD and Pico Slim to those iPhones brings the ES3X up to a whole new level of performance.  They take off, dance, jump and maneuver around all kinds of crescendos and fortes.   
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #1,843 of 1,871
True. I had similar experience with my ES3X. When combined with iMod and p-51 they are one spacious beasts, but IMO Westone 3's are stil a notch ahead it that matter. Also I've noticed, that sometimes midrange was a little bit withdrawn in ES3X. But still... those sure are very musical indeed. W3 in therms of musicality are no math for them IMO.

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #1,844 of 1,871
What is the best (read least expensive) source for Westone ES3s?  I am hoping to mail my ES2s to Westone to clone, because they fit well, but the fit was achieved only after a lot of shipping back and forth.

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #1,845 of 1,871

Quote:
Guys, I am curious what you think of the dynamic range on ES3X. To my ears, they sounded quite compressed compared to quality dynamic driver headphones, such as DT880, HD650 or FA-003. That was actually one of the main issues I had with them. I always used the "dynamic normalizer" setting on my Sony Walkman to make things sound more interesting. Actually, pretty much all BAs, except for Shure SE530 suffer from this issue to my ears, but I would expect the high end, expensive customs like ES3X to be better in this regard, but they just weren't to my ears. SE530 is the only BA IEM I've heard that has effortless dynamics IMO. Every other BA I tired sounds compressed in one way or another. Could be the fit of course, but with ES3X how exactly could fit impact dynamics?

Not sure I understand this. The W3's are very much more "Dynamic" Than the 530's IMHO. Also the "Dynamic Normalizer" on the Sony's give a more (slightly) compressed overall sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back