Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Nov 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #5,012 of 5,568
I use the complys for electronic music. What are your favorites tips ?

I personally like the proguard earportz for the w4r. They have a tappered bore smaller at the nozzle larger at the bore opening. This imo helps The mids and highs. But some ppl dont have luck with them some do.

My second best tip imo is the shure e2c silicone clear tip. It also has a tappered or flare bore opening again mids and highs seems to be imrpoved. But some people gripe with that tip is its not super soft silicone.

Westone had their own version of this tip that the iems used to come with but instead of clear it was frosted.

They since have started shipping with the silicone star and true fit which imo are a flop.

I did try the star silicone tip that has no color on the bottom its like a medium size...tried it with my se535 and it wasnt bad but then tried it with the w4r and didnt get the same results.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #5,013 of 5,568
Although I agree that foamies slightly veil the higher freqs compared to silicone tips, I love 'em. I don't like a lot of treble and the W4R have forward enough mids that the ever so slight recess isn't noticeable to me anymore. The wax guard tips are for my peace of mind and they are ridiculously comfortable. Easy maintenance, too.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #5,015 of 5,568
Thrice "Live at the House of Blues" is a favorite album of mine.  I used to sit next to my HeadRoom micro stack with my TF10's and 535's (which I never liked) and just be in awe of the detail.  The 4R's straight out of my iPhone 5 leaving me feeling like that.  

I purchased some 4r's on ear solutions about a week ago.  They are replacing some TF10's that failed about a year ago.  It took me about 2 days to really start appreciating the 4r's.  I've settled on the red stars tips from the supplied packaging. 

I have an RSA Protector and some cables from Ted on the way.  I'm excited to play with the new toys.  

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #5,016 of 5,568
  Thrice "Live at the House of Blues" is a favorite album of mine.  I used to sit next to my HeadRoom micro stack with my TF10's and 535's (which I never liked) and just be in awe of the detail.  The 4R's straight out of my iPhone 5 leaving me feeling like that.  

I purchased some 4r's on ear solutions about a week ago.  They are replacing some TF10's that failed about a year ago.  It took me about 2 days to really start appreciating the 4r's.  I've settled on the red stars tips from the supplied packaging. 

I have an RSA Protector and some cables from Ted on the way.  I'm excited to play with the new toys.  

good choice of cable maker.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #5,018 of 5,568
When I got my W4R's I missed the engaging musicality of my old TF10's.  Today I received an RSA protector (secondhand) in the mail.  I do not have my balance cable yet so I am listening SE.  This amp restored everything I missed about my TF10's.  I'm tapping my foot again.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #5,019 of 5,568
  When I got my W4R's I missed the engaging musicality of my old TF10's.  Today I received an RSA protector (secondhand) in the mail.  I do not have my balance cable yet so I am listening SE.  This amp restored everything I missed about my TF10's.  I'm tapping my foot again.

I had a similar experience. I recently had the W4R. Its always good but...something missing. When I paired it with a SR71a, just amazing. The combo was so good I actually started thinking about high end customs again, for the first time in a long time. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #5,020 of 5,568
I personally like the proguard earportz for the w4r. They have a tappered bore smaller at the nozzle larger at the bore opening. This imo helps The mids and highs. But some ppl dont have luck with them some do.

My second best tip imo is the shure e2c silicone clear tip. It also has a tappered or flare bore opening again mids and highs seems to be imrpoved. But some people gripe with that tip is its not super soft silicone.

Westone had their own version of this tip that the iems used to come with but instead of clear it was frosted.

They since have started shipping with the silicone star and true fit which imo are a flop.

I did try the star silicone tip that has no color on the bottom its like a medium size...tried it with my se535 and it wasnt bad but then tried it with the w4r and didnt get the same results.

Can you give me a link for the shure e2c ? Thank you.

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #5,024 of 5,568
  Sad news.  I lost my Westones on a flight to Bangkok.  I fell asleep and when I woke up as we were landing they were gone.  I am thinking someone stole then while sleeping but I asked around and no one saw them.  I stayed on the plane an extra 10 minutes looking all over the floor etc but never did see them.

A sad day indeed.  Due to budget constraints I picked up a pair of RHA MA350's from amazon for 40.00 to tide me over until I can save up enough to buy another pair.

Great news for the world and sad news for my wallet.... I picked up a used pair of W4's for a reasonable price off the for sale forum that will be shipped next week.  I will soon be back in the club.  I will treat these with more care to ensure they don't get stolen.

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #5,025 of 5,568
Hi,

I received my Fiio X3 today and after A-B-ing with my iPod Video 5G, I find no difference in sound!

I was wondering how you guys 'setup' or EQ your Fiio X3s? Other than tweaking treble/bass (which I could have done on my rockbox'd iPod anyway), am I missing out on something?

I have noticed options called "Gain" and "Balance" but I have no idea whatsoever they do.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back