Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Sep 29, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #4,726 of 5,568
At this point it's all speculation BUT if the W40 turns out to be the same W4 underneath I would be extremely disappointed with Westone. They would be trying to pull off what AKG has been doing for years, re-releasing something and charging full price for it.

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #4,729 of 5,568
I ordered some more after my Shure SE535's met an untimely demise at the hands of my 1 yr old. I prefer the Westone to the Shure.

Do people amp these earphones? If so, with what?
No doubt this question has received plenty of coverage already. Can't be bothered to to trawl the forums for an answer.
like everyone else has said.. Yes they benefit a lot from amping and I find the better the amp the better.. I use the Alo continental v3 and they sound incredible.. The v3 is very clean and neutral.. It really doesn't change the sound signature at all..it is quit expensive but to me was worth it.. Some people don't like it cause it is very neutral doesn't add more bass or anything... I do find that out of all the BA earphones I own the w4r sounds the best with this amp.. Mainly cause compared to dynamic earphones BA 'S do sound a little thin.. More detailed mind you but more thin.. So for dynamic earphones this amp is phenomenal.. Like with my ie80' s they have never sounded better with the v3.. Like I said it's kinda expensive with tax it was close to 600 bucks.. And for some reason the w4r sounds really good with it.. I'm not very good at describing all this stuff lol but I hope this helps.. :)

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #4,730 of 5,568
I am pretty excited to be receiving these at 299.00(cheaper than my UM3X).  I have the UM3X and am anxious to see which pair becomes my backup if I need to ever send one in for warranty repair during the 2 year period.

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #4,731 of 5,568
No yeah everything was legit...shrink wrap on box, two pieces of Westone tape I had to cut through, etc. Just confused as to why it didn't have the tips that were pictured online. I guess just chalk it up to bad luck?

Chinese workers to bussy, maybe!? You can purchace them online from Westone if you need to! But for the price you paid for the W4, its nothing! ...

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #4,732 of 5,568
Oh man, will all this comment I cant wait for mine to arrive I ordered it @ earphonesolutions last sat dont know when will it arrive here in toronto. >< Im still thinking if i will be needing an amp or dac thou since my source would be a Rooted/Sound Calibrated Galaxy Note 2 

What ROM and music player are you running? As I too will be running from my rooted Note2. I should be getting my 4R Tuesday, ES was selling them for 299.00 so I broke down and bought them. I'm upgrading from TF10 and Ety HF3 IEM's. Currently I use Neutron and Poweramp as my players. I would be very interested in your setup. Thanks, Jeff.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #4,735 of 5,568
What ROM and music player are you running? As I too will be running from my rooted Note2. I should be getting my 4R Tuesday, ES was selling them for 299.00 so I broke down and bought them. I'm upgrading from TF10 and Ety HF3 IEM's. Currently I use Neutron and Poweramp as my players. I would be very interested in your setup. Thanks, Jeff.

I think you will like the w4 they are different then the tf10 ive owned both but prefer a more reference audio sound which is the w4. The w4 are very capable depedning on your other source equipment. Many ppl judge them out of a ipod imo it does.t do them justice. Thats not to say you cant rock them oit of a ipod. They just really respond to good source equipment

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #4,736 of 5,568
Both my son and I got W4R and we have been listening/burn-in over the weekends.  We both love TF10.  So far we like W4R a lot.  However, I still like the high extension of the TF10 better.  But, that is just the matter of person preferences.  I have been using W4R with my Pico with DAC.  the setup is: Mac mini/pro with iTunes->Bitperfect->USB->Pico.  All my audio are in AIFF.  I have not tried it with my Schiit gear yet.  Overall, W4R is welcoming IEM and I am very happy with SQ.  You have got to try different tip to achieve  the sound of your liking!!!

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #4,738 of 5,568

Perhaps for you.  The longer flange of the star tips make it much more forgiving if you move your head.  But I think a comply/foam tip will always provide a fuller sound than any silicone tip

That has certainly been my experience with the Comply P100's - excellent insertion, comfort, and fuller sound (deeper bass) than with any other tip I have tried. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #4,739 of 5,568

FWIW, I have a non-rooted Galaxy Note 2 and use mostly Pandora, Plex, and Winamp (Shoutcast radio) as players. I run the Westone 4's through a Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII (DAC/AMP) via USB audio connection on the Note 2. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #4,740 of 5,568

That has certainly been my experience with the Comply P100's - excellent insertion, comfort, and fuller sound (deeper bass) than with any other tip I have tried. 

I love Comply's, especially for seal and comfort, but I still keep going back to the stars to get every bit of treble I can out of the W4's.  I know I can EQ, but I'm not a master at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back