Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Sep 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #4,711 of 5,568
There is certainly room for improvement.

I want a W4 with a fuller sound....more bottom end.    I want a W3 with a bit more midrange and clean up the midbass.

These products don't exist.
I use the medium shure silicon tips and it makes the w4r sound a lot fuller with more bottom end.. IMO they are better than any of the star tips that's for sure..

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #4,713 of 5,568
I use the medium shure silicon tips and it makes the w4r sound a lot fuller with more bottom end.. IMO they are better than any of the star tips that's for sure..

Perhaps for you.  The longer flange of the star tips make it much more forgiving if you move your head.  But I think a comply/foam tip will always provide a fuller sound than any silicone tip

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #4,714 of 5,568
Perhaps for you.  The longer flange of the star tips make it much more forgiving if you move your head.  But I think a comply/foam tip will always provide a fuller sound than any silicone tip
I really like the black foam ones too.. I find for me something like the longer red foam tips makes them sound thinner.. The red silicon star tips ain't too bad.. Your rite about them staying in place when your moving though.. These shure tips.. But I had to make sure that the plastic part that shapes to your ears was bent just rite and now I have no problem with them moving and breaking the seal.. :) guess I'm just lucky i figure lol

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #4,716 of 5,568
I ordered some more after my Shure SE535's met an untimely demise at the hands of my 1 yr old. I prefer the Westone to the Shure.

Do people amp these earphones? If so, with what?
No doubt this question has received plenty of coverage already. Can't be bothered to to trawl the forums for an answer.

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #4,717 of 5,568
Do people amp these earphones? If so, with what?
No doubt this question has received plenty of coverage already. Can't be bothered to to trawl the forums for an answer.

I use the E12 via LOD out with my Sony Walkman F806. The W4R definitely benefits from it... and the bass boost option is also a plus...

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #4,718 of 5,568
Of ALL the IEM's in my sound sig.  W4 ranks very high on the list of IEM's that need an amp (or greatly improve).

I use a Ibasso T3 (analog) which cost me about $100 new.  It is suppose to be a neutral amp not affecting sound sig of IEM's being fed into it.

For what it's worth....I much prefer SE535 (even unamped) to W4.  Just more "oomph" and color making it a bit more enjoyable sound experience with hard driving music.

But I am on record here saying W4 with acoustic and vocal is unbeatable.

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #4,719 of 5,568
  For what it's worth....I much prefer SE535 (even unamped) to W4.  Just more "oomph" and color making it a bit more enjoyable sound experience with hard driving music.

This is why I use the bass boost option with the E12. It makes the 4R warmer and much more enjoyable while not muddying up the mids...

It's actually one of the few IEMs that handles the boost quite well (I have the v2 E12).

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #4,720 of 5,568
Of ALL the IEM's in my sound sig.  W4 ranks very high on the list of IEM's that need an amp (or greatly improve).

I use a Ibasso T3 (analog) which cost me about $100 new.  It is suppose to be a neutral amp not affecting sound sig of IEM's being fed into it.

I suppose it's just a matter of taste. I owned the Westone when it first came out and sold it to buy the Shure. Can't really remember what the W4 sounds like now but I've always had the idea that it's the better IEM. Maybe I'll think otherwise once they arrive.

Come to think of it, my iPod Classic has seen better days so I may just splash out on a new DAP. Any recommendations?

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #4,721 of 5,568
The last year I have played between W4 and SE535.  I am a  big EQ fan to customize your own sound so this is taking all that into account.

My opinions:

W4:  it's awesome and much better than UE900. The non-fatiguing warm but amazingly detailed presentation make it amazingly smooth but there is no real crispness to the detail.  There is a slight veil to the whole presentation.  In addition, if you are the type that likes to crank it up and rock... the W4 can (sort of) do that but you just get the sense that the IEM is straining to do this.  This in itself was a real downfall for me for a quad driver (same as UE900).

SE535:  Have owned it 3 times and I believe was first on HF with original review.  THAT was all based on olives or comply tips.  I am currently using the largest Westone Star tips and am basically floored by the clarity and detail throughout the whole frequency range.  I need my treble but can emphatically say I desire NO MORE treble with this set-up.  It's perfect.  Imagine something in between a W3 and a UM3X.  That's what I hear with perhaps a more forward midrange.

It's funner sounding than W4 to me, the bass hits harder and it has just as much detail.  Really dont get why SE535 gets any bad wrap.  TIPS ARE A HUGE FACTOR.  I do not care for SE535 with foam tips.  But the star tips take away a veil revealing tons of detail with zero siblance.  Error on the large side on the tip fitting.

Is quality or durabilty even a question?  To me, the fact that it is virtually tangle proof is my favorite factor.  So annoying when you are in a hurry and thinner braided cables tangle up so easily.  UUrgh!!!!!

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #4,722 of 5,568
The new W40 is going to use the mmx connector? Good Lord. I guess Westone management walked through the customer service floor, noticed everybody was smiling and happy, and decided to change that.

After 9 torturous months with the UE900's mmx connectors... Never. Ever. Ever. Again.

Since the new mmx cable has a remote and microphone, I suspect they are hoping folks will upgrade to get that feature.

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #4,723 of 5,568
Mmcx is the new standard, Sony will be using it as well. UEs implementation is bad cause its silver plated. These are gold plated and look sturdy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back