Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Sep 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #4,563 of 5,568
I hope the W5 doesn't come out for a long time. I don't need any more audio investments for awhile, haha!

As for the Earportz tips, my thoughts as I had them:
Been listening to the medium pair for awhile (I'm moving to the large soon) and yeah, the sound doesn't seem to have a veil. These puppies have a secure-feeling fit. I've lost the touch of warmth I'm used to, though. Wax gets all over these, I think they'll require a wash after each use. 

Large tips.... Less comfy compared to the medium pair, but the bass came back to a more balanced level, which I like. Sounds better than the smaller pair, which lost some of the bottom end imo and felt unnatural in comparison. I think these offer a very neutral presentation and they let the W4 do its thing. They leak noise though, as much as the comply tips. I am listening at a medium high level (right before it gets ear-damagingly loud). The Earportz haven't "wowed" me, but they are definitely a good choice for those who want transparency / neutrality compared to foam tips, just wish they weren't too large for my ears.

If any of you local US members wanna try them, I'll send you all 3 pairs (s, m, l), clean, for $7. First class mail. PM me if interested!

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #4,564 of 5,568
Westone 5????? Thats something I would wait for, with open ears.
L3000.gif
Westone seems to be in an inactive state now. I just hope they are working on a new flagship to better the 4r.

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #4,565 of 5,568
Got a pack of Westone Star silicone tips last week but unfortunately I don't like them at all, too rigid and unconfortable, especially the longer ones.
The shorter ones unfortunately are too small and fall off.

After not getting along with the Earportz, I'll stick to the faithful Sony Hybrids with a spacer.

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #4,566 of 5,568
Tried the EarPortz, couldn't get a comfortable fit. Tried medium, large, didn't work for me.
My W4 showing slight fraying of the cable, not under warranty, any ideas about anything that can be done?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #4,569 of 5,568
The Fiio cables I got work fine. The only gripe I have about them is that I think one of the pins is a bit short. Sometimes it feels loosely connected. It threw me off the first time I attached them to the monitors because I couldn't hear anything.

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #4,570 of 5,568
BTG_AUDIO, hmm, that's great, have to check into that, reasonable, thanks

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #4,572 of 5,568
I second BTG Audio cables... I'm using the Sunrise cable with the W4R and it's a noticeable(ly small) improvement in detail. I'm using the Sunrise cable. The cable quality itself beats the standard W4R cable though, for sure. It has a substantial weight and build character.

My question for you all though, is how do you keep the W4R clean? I noticed with my W3 and now the W4R that the plastic is greasy from, well, being in my ear. Q-tips get the debris off after some hassle, but I am starting to get a bit aggravated touching the greasy buds everytime I put 'em in, considering I wash my hands to keep them as oil-free as possible while I'm using the computer to minimize keyboard filth. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #4,573 of 5,568
  Got a pack of Westone Star silicone tips last week but unfortunately I don't like them at all, too rigid and unconfortable, especially the longer ones.
The shorter ones unfortunately are too small and fall off.

After not getting along with the Earportz, I'll stick to the faithful Sony Hybrids with a spacer.

i am with you on the westone star silicone tips, i thought them and they now have a layer of dust to them i never used them since getting them as their ergonomics for a tip is awful. their silicone is soft, but thats where it ends.

its a shame that i seem to be the only one who really likes the earportz, i have yet to go back to any other tip as of yet. i am still thinking of the silicone um56 but still on the fence with that..... 

Tried the EarPortz, couldn't get a comfortable fit. Tried medium, large, didn't work for me.
My W4 showing slight fraying of the cable, not under warranty, any ideas about anything that can be done?

the Earportz need a bit of adjusting, to get both a comfortable fit & good isolation, you need to move the tip upwards and downwards to see which is more of a ergonomic direction for your ear, i founf once i found that particualar spot i could take them in and out without any issues of isolation or comfort. 

I second BTG Audio cables... I'm using the Sunrise cable with the W4R and it's a noticeable(ly small) improvement in detail. I'm using the Sunrise cable. The cable quality itself beats the standard W4R cable though, for sure. It has a substantial weight and build character.

My question for you all though, is how do you keep the W4R clean? I noticed with my W3 and now the W4R that the plastic is greasy from, well, being in my ear. Q-tips get the debris off after some hassle, but I am starting to get a bit aggravated touching the greasy buds everytime I put 'em in, considering I wash my hands to keep them as oil-free as possible while I'm using the computer to minimize keyboard filth. 

i go to my local grocery store and i get alcohol wipes, i try to go for a larger alcohol to water ratio like 71% or 91% alcohol, i found this makes for easier cleaning of the westones and they have a out of the box new look also. i have been using them for some time now with no ill side effects.

also call it obsessive but before i wear i iems i clean my ears. sometimes i even use very little bit of alcohol on the tip and clean my ears. this keeps tips clean and keeps the housing clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back