Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Aug 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #4,426 of 5,568
Would you mind telling us which amp do you use? I'm quite interested of a good amp:D
Sure np. I'm using the alo continetal v3 I like it a lot. It's a tube amp and at first I thought it didn't sound very warm for a tube amp but as I use it more it's getting better and better. It is very clean and detailed. IMO it works really well with the w4r. I was going to seek it a few days ago cause I thought it wasn't getting any warmer or sound like a tube amp I should say but I'm glad I didn't cause it's really starting to open up and sound incredible. Some people are saying that you don't need a amp with these. And maybe true they do sound ok rite out of my ipod but with the amp it's really at a different level. Hope this helps.

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #4,427 of 5,568
Quote:
Sure np. I'm using the alo continetal v3 I like it a lot. It's a tube amp and at first I thought it didn't sound very warm for a tube amp but as I use it more it's getting better and better. It is very clean and detailed. IMO it works really well with the w4r. I was going to seek it a few days ago cause I thought it wasn't getting any warmer or sound like a tube amp I should say but I'm glad I didn't cause it's really starting to open up and sound incredible. Some people are saying that you don't need a amp with these. And maybe true they do sound ok rite out of my ipod but with the amp it's really at a different level. Hope this helps.

Wow that's pretty expensive:O Anyways, it sounds good:) I'm planning to get a iBasso D-Zero.

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #4,428 of 5,568
Quote:
By the way, will you guys suggest me to get a reshell of the Westone 4s? Is there any risks or problems associated with this? The biggest question is, does the refit really worth its price(~$150)?

Thanks all:)

yes there is risk, i mean nothing major, but mainly just fit issues that could occur, if i was you i would get really good molds made however even with great molds you still can run into fit issues. so lets just say you have fit issues on the first try, you would have to get molds, send them out for reshell, reshell then get them back maybe 6 week turn around maybe faster? and you get them they dont fit right or one ear fits better than the other so you have to send them out again.....rinse and repeat......maybe you get it right the first time.

imo the only reason i would reshell would be to gain the removeable cable.

imo its not worth the price but thats just me 

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #4,429 of 5,568
Quote:

yes there is risk, i mean nothing major, but mainly just fit issues that could occur, if i was you i would get really good molds made however even with great molds you still can run into fit issues. so lets just say you have fit issues on the first try, you would have to get molds, send them out for reshell, reshell then get them back maybe 6 week turn around maybe faster? and you get them they dont fit right or one ear fits better than the other so you have to send them out again.....rinse and repeat......maybe you get it right the first time.

imo the only reason i would reshell would be to gain the removeable cable.

imo its not worth the price but thats just me 

It seems too troublesome:frowning2: Will there be any improvements in SQ, or any changes in sound signature?

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #4,430 of 5,568
Wow that's pretty expensive:O Anyways, it sounds good:) I'm planning to get a iBasso D-Zero.
Lol yes sorry didn't mention the price. Yes it's very expensive. I had to save for it but to me it was well worth it. I basso makes nice stuff from what I've heard too so you can't go wrong. Very expensive hobby huh?? Holy crap my wallet has taken a kickn the last couple years that's for sure. Lol anyways happy listening :)

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #4,431 of 5,568
It seems too troublesome:frowning2: Will there be any improvements in SQ, or any changes in sound signature?

Eh. Well you arent really changing the internal components so you arent going to notice any mayjor change thst way. You might have better isolation so its possible you might hear more detsil in sound. Deeper insertion could mean better seal and yeild some more bass. But mostly everything is going to depend on the seal and isolation

Imo its norhing you couldnt achieve with the right tips

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #4,432 of 5,568

There would definitely be a change, but may or may not be an improvement. I reshell my er4s into custom before and it totally screwed the sound and everything became veiled.

The perception that customs were better was not due to the form factor but more to do with limited quality provided by universals years ago. Nowadays, with universals sharing the same design/craftsmanship/components/price guess what they also share the performance without all the hassle and resell hit. My 2c.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #4,433 of 5,568
There would definitely be a change, but may or may not be an improvement. I reshell my er4s into custom before and it totally screwed the sound and everything became veiled.

The perception that customs were better was not due to the form factor but more to do with limited quality provided by universals years ago. Nowadays, with universals sharing the same design/craftsmanship/components/price guess what they also share the performance without all the hassle and resell hit. My 2c.

Your post really make me reconsider my thoughts about getting a totl ciem.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #4,435 of 5,568
It's official! I would be using the Westone 4 as a reference to compare to other TOTL CIEMS and IEMs, to figure out what to purchase. (Even though I don't even own the W4, I really like it except for a few areas, so I think it is sort of near-perfect)

Who knows, maybe, I might even end up buying the Westone 4. According to ljokerl's multi-iem review, the W4 is at least one of the top 3 sub-1000 universal iem, with the sm64 being first.

Here's my comparions list:
-Monster Trumpet and Turbine Copper (for comparison sakes)
-UE 900
-UM3X 
-The Entire Unique Melody Line
-AKG K3003i
-Sennheiser IE800

Btw, I have already tried the IE80, SE535, SE535 Red and the lack of transparency and clarity was the deal breaker for me. The FAD Heaven VI had a very "muted" bass, kind of suppressed bass, with a slight lack of clarity compared to the W4 (dunno what's going on here!).

Any others you guys thing are worthy of comparison?

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #4,436 of 5,568
An iGadget is enough to power the W4R. I have ABX'd it with a couple of amps and IMHO there isn't much need to add additional power to it. And, of course, cable upgrades and interconnects will not change the sound unless the originals are defective or broken, so don't worry with that.

So it's perfectly fine for a so-called "serious audiophile" to grab a W4/W4R, an iPhone/iPad/iPod and be happy.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #4,437 of 5,568
The cable on my W4 went out after almost 2 years. Sent them back to Westone and after three day received W4R in return. 
Westone customer service is some of the best I have ever dealt with. You can get them on the phone very quickly/easily and they are very responsive to email as well as always being very helpful and nice ime.  Thank you Westone!

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #4,438 of 5,568
Quote:
The cable on my W4 went out after almost 2 years. Sent them back to Westone and after three day received W4R in return. 
Westone customer service is some of the best I have ever dealt with. You can get them on the phone very quickly/easily and they are very responsive to email as well as always being very helpful and nice ime.  Thank you Westone!

Great deal!  W4 -> W4R   
ksc75smile.gif

Good to know they are taking care of us the right way.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #4,439 of 5,568
Quote:

Great service!  BTW, what info did you have to give them, if any?  I have the W4, and thankfully the cable seems really strong and secure.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #4,440 of 5,568
I just called them and gave them my purchase info from earphonesolutions...I had registered them with Westone to get the second year of the warranty.
The cable only went out after almost two years of a lot of use.  It seemed like only when I started using them when skiing that the cable started to go out.  I think the cold temps made it brittle.
I actually like the fit of the W4 better as I don't like memory wire but in the long run the W4R is a bit safer with the replaceable cable.  I loved the cable on the W4...especially the cable relief on the earphone...went over the ear so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back