Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #4,411 of 5,568
Quote:
Haha i read it all. Thanks for opinion, I'm now considering saving a bit more for the TOTLs... Btw, other than the refitting costs, is there any factors to consider when buying a used CIEM? Especially when it comes to the top models e.g. JH13/16. 

Thank you:)

Just research to make sure it is possible to refit in the first place, and the check out the warranty policy for refits, and if they offer (and any limitation) free refit for fitting issues.  
Might want to start with an entry level/less expensive model to make sure you like how customs feel in your ears.

Read up all impression especially from guys who came from W4 is also a good idea.  

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #4,412 of 5,568
I'm thinking about ciems really soon too. But wow it just sounds like a big headache and a lot of time for a lot of money. Some people have the money to throw around ,, I'm really not one of them. So whatever I pick will hopefully be rite the first time... The fit insulation ,,,, this is really making me have second thought about them if they are really worth the time and money :frowning2: maybe ill just go for a top tier iem like the 1 plus 2 or the 3003 I. At least if its not what I want or expect then when I sell them I'm not loosing like half of what I paid. This really discouraging !! Guess I have a lot of thinking to do lol

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #4,413 of 5,568
It is funny the amount of CIEM discussion is in a thread about appreciating the Westone 4
tongue_smile.gif
.  I know I am guilty of it too.  We hear the Westone 4 and love the sound, but end up wanting more.

I really think I have finally heard the best sound from the WR4s that I am willing to pay for.  I will still buy cheaper ones that are killer deals for work and stuff.  I am very happy and like the idea of using different tips.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #4,414 of 5,568
Quote:
Haha i read it all. Thanks for opinion, I'm now considering saving a bit more for the TOTLs... Btw, other than the refitting costs, is there any factors to consider when buying a used CIEM? Especially when it comes to the top models e.g. JH13/16. 

Thank you:)

In my opinion, (though I have not much knowledge in the used Ciems arena), why go through such a hassle needing to go through so many parties. The reshelling company may or may not be the company of manafacture and you also have to settle with the ciem seller and he might or might not be selling you a defective set out of its warranty. In my honest opinon, the potential problems and risk is quite high with possibly defective and fake (though i dun think this is common), you might as well, wait out a few weeks or months if needed to just get a new one so you can have a good night rest and not worry to much after handing over all your hard-saved/earned cash.

Edit: Rather pay a 100 or 200 extra for a new set then realise your 500 dollar ciem turns out to be defective right? (Though I'm not exactly sure about the pricing, this is just an analogy. However, if the seller is REALLY REPUTABLE and the SAVINGS ARE GREAT and you KNOW THAT CIEM IS THE ONE, then GO AHEAD!

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #4,416 of 5,568
Quote:
It is funny the amount of CIEM discussion is in a thread about appreciating the Westone 4
tongue_smile.gif
.  I know I am guilty of it too.  We hear the Westone 4 and love the sound, but end up wanting more.

I really think I have finally heard the best sound from the WR4s that I am willing to pay for.  I will still buy cheaper ones that are killer deals for work and stuff.  I am very happy and like the idea of using different tips.

You hit the nail on the head.  It can be an addiction!  I hope I reach my own "end of the road" soon.

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #4,417 of 5,568
Quote:
You hit the nail on the head.  It can be an addiction!  I hope I reach my own "end of the road" soon.

end of the road? whats that? LOL seriously there is no end of the road lol

there is good enough.....for now, but there is never ''enough''

as far as judging the westone w4r out of a ipod or ipad, thats like driving a ferrari the speed limit...the w4r true potential really starts to show with dac/amp/interconnect and cable

when i first started out with the w4r i didnt have near the equipment i have now, and they didnt nearly show the potential they do now. its insane how my w4r sounds with the equipment i have. its undrstandable that not EVERYONE can afford over 2k for cables dacs and amps and interconnect, however i dont really see unleashing the full potential of the w4r with just a ipod

i could go with customs, but with the sound im getting from the w4r i see no need to, i dont think if someone even goes to customs and is only going to rock the customs with a ipod thats still not doing justice for a even more expensive pair of iem's

if your hardcore about audiophile and sound quality. you cant just listen to the w4 with a ipod and draw a conclusion.....again go take a lambo for a ride and do the speed limit and then come back and tell me if its worth .5 mil.....you would say no........but put the pedal to the floor, and your answer will definitly change
normal_smile .gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #4,418 of 5,568
I have little use for my customs.
The fit is fine, the sound is OK, but everything about the W4 and my other IEM's are superior. Comfort, fit (kind of the same thing, but not), and sound.
I don't 'regret' purchasing them, but they are not necessarily the 'End of the Road'. Not for me, anyhow...

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #4,419 of 5,568
Listening to the W4R out of an ipod gets you 95% there IMO.  The extra money and hassle of having to carry around a separate DAC and amp is just not worth the maybe 5% improvement in audio quality IMO.  The largest difference between different DACs, AMPS and cables is in going to the W4Rs from a lower end IEM. 

There are a lot of people in this thread who are happy with their W4Rs out of just an iPod

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675523/are-high-end-iems-a-waste-on-an-iphone

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #4,420 of 5,568
Quote:
I'm thinking about ciems really soon too. But wow it just sounds like a big headache and a lot of time for a lot of money. Some people have the money to throw around ,, I'm really not one of them. So whatever I pick will hopefully be rite the first time... The fit insulation ,,,, this is really making me have second thought about them if they are really worth the time and money
frown.gif
maybe ill just go for a top tier iem like the 1 plus 2 or the 3003 I. At least if its not what I want or expect then when I sell them I'm not loosing like half of what I paid. This really discouraging !! Guess I have a lot of thinking to do lol

TBH the amount of time hassle and money I spent on customs really haven't been worth it in the long run.  I made the jump (or tried to) as I didn't figure that it would be worth spending the money on a higher end iem like the w4 and just go with the lower end ciem market. Now with hindsight I kinda wish I had just got the westone 4, a sansa clip plus with 64 gig card and quit whilst I was ahead.  That's hindsight for you though :)

Also in terms of isolation I've read on this site that it tends to go Silicone, Foam (comply etc) Acrylic, tips so make of that what you will.

All that's just in my humble experience though.

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #4,421 of 5,568
Quote:
end of the road? whats that? LOL seriously there is no end of the road lol

there is good enough.....for now, but there is never ''enough''

as far as judging the westone w4r out of a ipod or ipad, thats like driving a ferrari the speed limit...the w4r true potential really starts to show with dac/amp/interconnect and cable

when i first started out with the w4r i didnt have near the equipment i have now, and they didnt nearly show the potential they do now. its insane how my w4r sounds with the equipment i have. its undrstandable that not EVERYONE can afford over 2k for cables dacs and amps and interconnect, however i dont really see unleashing the full potential of the w4r with just a ipod

i could go with customs, but with the sound im getting from the w4r i see no need to, i dont think if someone even goes to customs and is only going to rock the customs with a ipod thats still not doing justice for a even more expensive pair of iem's

if your hardcore about audiophile and sound quality. you cant just listen to the w4 with a ipod and draw a conclusion.....again go take a lambo for a ride and do the speed limit and then come back and tell me if its worth .5 mil.....you would say no........but put the pedal to the floor, and your answer will definitly change
normal_smile%20.gif

Actually, I thought the very first Lambo I ever saw would be worth $500K, and it was parked!!  
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #4,422 of 5,568
Quote:

In my opinion, (though I have not much knowledge in the used Ciems arena), why go through such a hassle needing to go through so many parties. The reshelling company may or may not be the company of manafacture and you also have to settle with the ciem seller and he might or might not be selling you a defective set out of its warranty. In my honest opinon, the potential problems and risk is quite high with possibly defective and fake (though i dun think this is common), you might as well, wait out a few weeks or months if needed to just get a new one so you can have a good night rest and not worry to much after handing over all your hard-saved/earned cash.

Edit: Rather pay a 100 or 200 extra for a new set then realise your 500 dollar ciem turns out to be defective right? (Though I'm not exactly sure about the pricing, this is just an analogy. However, if the seller is REALLY REPUTABLE and the SAVINGS ARE GREAT and you KNOW THAT CIEM IS THE ONE, then GO AHEAD!

Thx bro:) You have changed my mind:D 

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #4,423 of 5,568
I don't use a dac but I do use a amp and IMO the amp it brings them up at least 30 percent in sq and not just making them louder either. They don't sound even close just out of my ipod they sound ok out of my ipod but not like they do when I amp them. Unless you have tried them both ways you don't know what your missing IMO of course

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #4,424 of 5,568
Quote:
I don't use a dac but I do use a amp and IMO the amp it brings them up at least 30 percent in sq and not just making them louder either. They don't sound even close just out of my ipod they sound ok out of my ipod but not like they do when I amp them. Unless you have tried them both ways you don't know what your missing IMO of course

Would you mind telling us which amp do you use? I'm quite interested of a good amp:D

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #4,425 of 5,568
By the way, will you guys suggest me to get a reshell of the Westone 4s? Is there any risks or problems associated with this? The biggest question is, does the refit really worth its price(~$150)?

Thanks all:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back