Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Aug 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #4,396 of 5,568
I was on this same path before and my w4r upgrade was the TG334. FITEAR had since released Parterre which is a bit less expensive but a great upgrade for w4r at about $1k.

At $600 level given your genre preference you may want also to check out aurisonic asg2 or rhasodio rdb1, more fun sounding and less polite than w4 but good IEMs at around $600.

Or as another poster pointed out just skip this round and go for the knockout with something better, or the best like Tralucent 1plus2.

ASG-2 would be an upgrade from the W4 in your views?

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #4,397 of 5,568
Aug 9, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #4,398 of 5,568
I wasn't a fan of the Westone 4rs when I tried them out a few months before. However, a friend recently purchased them and was kind enough to give them a try. I think tip selection is pretty important with these IEMs. When I tried them out the first time it was with single flange tips and I found the sound too warm and almost veiled. I was suprised that the sound was much brighter (but not too bright) with the triple flanges.

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #4,399 of 5,568
Quote:
Thank you for all your replies:)

I'm looking for a higher clarity and more details, with good mids and a large soundstage. It will be best to have a punchy bass
L3000.gif

I'm kind of in the same boat, just want to try something different at about a $600 limit.  So far I've narrowed down my choices to the ASG-2 or Ocharaku Kuro, based solely on impression threads.   Man, I wish there was someplace to audition good iem's before purchase!!

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #4,400 of 5,568
Quote:
I wasn't a fan of the Westone 4rs when I tried them out a few months before. However, a friend recently purchased them and was kind enough to give them a try. I think tip selection is pretty important with these IEMs. When I tried them out the first time it was with single flange tips and I found the sound too warm and almost veiled. I was suprised that the sound was much brighter (but not too bright) with the triple flanges.

what amp/source/dacs/cables and interconnects are you using.

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #4,401 of 5,568
I'm kind of in the same boat, just want to try something different at about a $600 limit.  So far I've narrowed down my choices to the ASG-2 or Ocharaku Kuro, based solely on impression threads.   Man, I wish there was someplace to audition good iem's before purchase!!

There is! My country. If you plan to come to Singapore then I would give you more details.
Brands for audition: FitEar/UM/JH/ASG

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #4,402 of 5,568
Quote:
The problem is you can't fit used ones without a refit which will also cost you. With a budget of 600. I'm not trying to be offensive but is it possible for you to save a while longer? The thousand mark is where you get really tons of choices for you to pick.

Yes I'm planning to use 600 solely for the earphone, excluding the cost of refitting. So in your opinion, the ~$600 CIEMs are not really a good upgrade from westone 4?

Thank you so much for replying:)

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #4,404 of 5,568
Quote:
I was on this same path before and my w4r upgrade was the TG334. FITEAR had since released Parterre which is a bit less expensive but a great upgrade for w4r at about $1k.

At $600 level given your genre preference you may want also to check out aurisonic asg2 or rhasodio rdb1, more fun sounding and less polite than w4 but good IEMs at around $600.

Or as another poster pointed out just skip this round and go for the knockout with something better, or the best like Tralucent 1plus2.

Thank you for your opinion, but I prefer CIEMs more for their comfort and isolation:D

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #4,405 of 5,568
Quote:

That's exactly how I feel! Anyone knows a good place for trying those CIEMs out in Toronto?

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #4,406 of 5,568
Quote:
There is! My country. If you plan to come to Singapore then I would give you more details.
Brands for audition: FitEar/UM/JH/ASG

If only I could!  I'd be like a kid in a candy shop!

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #4,407 of 5,568
Quote:
Thank you for your opinion, but I prefer CIEMs more for their comfort and isolation:D

Did you have prior experience with CIEM?  If so and you like the fit/comfort, suggest you to look at "higher" model of the same makers.

For me, my experience with CIEMs ranged from meh to bad in the fit/comfort department and wasted enough time/energy for me to go with them again.  Maybe MH335 due to their much shallower insertion.  The pain of twisting my JH5pro in/out (especially if in a hurry) was really too much.  Maybe my ear canal aren't suitable for customs.  Also had bad experience with multiple refit with UM.

You may want to seek out MaoDi for help with Unique Melody as I recall he is in Canada and was very active with UM lineup.  Seems the Miracle are gaining largely fave reviews.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #4,408 of 5,568
Quote:

Did you have prior experience with CIEM?  If so and you like the fit/comfort, suggest you to look at "higher" model of the same makers.

For me, my experience with CIEMs ranged from meh to bad in the fit/comfort department and wasted enough time/energy for me to go with them again.  Maybe MH335 due to their much shallower insertion.  The pain of twisting my JH5pro in/out (especially if in a hurry) was really too much.  Maybe my ear canal aren't suitable for customs.  Also had bad experience with multiple refit with UM.

You may want to seek out MaoDi for help with Unique Melody as I recall he is in Canada and was very active with UM lineup.  Seems the Miracle are gaining largely fave reviews.

No I'm a newbie with CIEMs...  I understand not everyone is suitable for customs, but I will give it a try anyway:D

Thx for reminding, I may look for him after I've made up my mind:)

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #4,409 of 5,568
Yes I'm planning to use 600 solely for the earphone, excluding the cost of refitting. So in your opinion, the ~$600 CIEMs are not really a good upgrade from westone 4?

Thank you so much for replying:)

In fact I'm trying to find the answer to that. I am comparing the W4 to the UM Marvel, which in my country, the UM Marvel is cheaper despite being a custom (shipping and impressions costs already included).

I wouldn't say it will not buy you an upgrade. There are still a fair amount of choices in this price range but what I wish to convey is that once your budget hits the thousand mark, the options really flood in with lots of TOTLs for your choice.

It's alright if you spend 600 on a pair of customs, I might be thinking of doing so even though I have the ability to go for a totl.

Just a disclaimer, I have yet own a ciem, but I have been researching and consulting ciem owners, etc.

TL;DR: A bigger budget will buy you more choices, more sound signatures, shell types, etc.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #4,410 of 5,568
Quote:
In fact I'm trying to find the answer to that. I am comparing the W4 to the UM Marvel, which in my country, the UM Marvel is cheaper despite being a custom (shipping and impressions costs already included).

I wouldn't say it will not buy you an upgrade. There are still a fair amount of choices in this price range but what I wish to convey is that once your budget hits the thousand mark, the options really flood in with lots of TOTLs for your choice.

It's alright if you spend 600 on a pair of customs, I might be thinking of doing so even though I have the ability to go for a totl.

Just a disclaimer, I have yet own a ciem, but I have been researching and consulting ciem owners, etc.

TL;DR: A bigger budget will buy you more choices, more sound signatures, shell types, etc.

Haha i read it all. Thanks for opinion, I'm now considering saving a bit more for the TOTLs... Btw, other than the refitting costs, is there any factors to consider when buying a used CIEM? Especially when it comes to the top models e.g. JH13/16. 

Thank you:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back