Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Oct 25, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #3,421 of 5,568
i fall asleep at my desk at work when my headphones aren't amp... my source is a cd player though....

*i just noticed* when my westone 4 unamped it sounds like i'm like sitting in the balcony listening to the music. with it ampd i'm in the front row where i can feel music much more foward highs,mids, and lows much more pronounced

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #3,422 of 5,568
What kind of CD player are you using?

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #3,423 of 5,568
its just a  sony dnf400. i use a battery powered 3 channel cmoy amp. pico slim coming in soon (they are for my jh-13s) but i'll let you guys know what they sound like on w4s

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #3,424 of 5,568
Quote:
its just a  sony dnf400. i use a battery powered 3 channel cmoy amp. pico slim coming in soon (they are for my jh-13s) but i'll let you guys know what they sound like on w4s

Yes please, I've been using Fiio E1 amp I can't feel any difference with it, and now I'm using Fiio E11 not so much different that I can hear with my W4.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #3,425 of 5,568
i fall asleep at my desk at work when my headphones aren't amp... my source is a cd player though....

*i just noticed* when my westone 4 unamped it sounds like i'm like sitting in the balcony listening to the music. with it ampd i'm in the front row where i can feel music much more foward highs,mids, and lows much more pronounced

That's funny cuz I use mine through my rockboxed sansa clip+ mostly. Like I'm right there... Don't find they need an amp at all.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #3,426 of 5,568
Finally got my tips in today. Think I have finally found the best fit vs. sound using the tips that can be found here:
http://www2.buyincoins.com/new_en/details/8-x-pairs-double-mp3-ears-earphones-headphone-in-ear-silica-gel-buds-tips-product-7700.html
And the adapter mod that I posted here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/527694/westone-4-appreciation-thread-and-reviews-a-k-a-westone-4/3375#post_8794572

They are just long enough and nice and soft. I got 16 pairs of them for 4 dollars shipped. They took 3 weeks to get here though :frowning2:

I like how they come in white and black so I can put black on left and white on right.
20560e47_image.jpeg

They have the larger bore hole so do not affect the sound negatively like the stock triflange.
30d87ab8_image.jpeg

Just thought I would post this incase anyone wanted to try them for a couple bucks.

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #3,427 of 5,568
Pico slim used came in... I must say 10x better than a standard cmoy and fiio. music doesn't sound as dull and laid back. bass is accentuated and clean sounding. sound stage expanded. When I plugged in the amp with the  expectations thinking it was just as good as the 3 channel cmoy but it just blew me away and tears came from my eyes when i was listening to some M. Ward. Only con is that not all the steps before 12 o clock are absolutely useless. sweet spot is some where at 1 o clock. Don't turn your source all the way up maybe 75% or else you're going to hear some static and unwanted noise. Over all absolutely stunning amp .

Oct 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #3,428 of 5,568
Quote:
OMG 
blink.gif
 that's RSA Arrow 4G and you are not using it for this great IEM ?

headstage arrow 4G
this great iem will benefit from output impedance more than an amp
my itouch's output impedance is about 7ohms  and I noticed that arrow makes my w4r a little thicker and warmer.
there is a difference between coloring the sound and improving quality.

Oct 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #3,429 of 5,568
My new Westone's arrived in the post this morning. Unfortunately they're only W4's, not the W4R's I thought I ordered.
Oh well, back to retailer in Monday's post then.
It's looking like another weeks wait.

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #3,434 of 5,568
Quote:
I just got my W4R. These came with the new tips.

It came with everything shown in the picture except the "foam" looking tips right next to the iem cable.

Very annoying and aggravating!  How on earth can Westone customer service have NO CLUE about any new style tips as they told me just a few days ago when I called them????????

So let me get this straight.....they are unaware of the accesories they ship with their product?  Insane.....

If anybody has any idea where to get these new style silicone tips please advise because Westone has no clue they are even supplying them.

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #3,435 of 5,568
Having said that the modified tri-flange to bi flange works great with stem cut 1-2mm less than flush.  It sounds just as "open"  as the comply but with massive added air and treble.  Not really sure I could improve upon that without custom tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back