Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Oct 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #3,391 of 5,568
Is anyone using the yellow shure foamies?  That's what I use and I have no problem with bass extension or treble sounding muddy, I find they fit perfectly on all the Westone's including my Westone 4.  They provide a little bit better of  a seal because they are the same thickness all the way through their length.  I agree that any of the deficiencies that people seem to claim on the westone 4 can either be fixed by a slight eq adjustment or a better fit.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 20, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #3,392 of 5,568
I have those TS series "ovals" but I dont care for them.  Have tried to use on W3 and UM3X.  They are so short I think it affects soundstage to a large degree.  I really like my modded tri-flange option which has been around a few years.

Yea I can see how that can be an issue. I don't put them on all the way for better insertion.

You gotta admit though they do a better job of not deadening the sound than the other tips.

Maybe they put all those tips in there just so people like us have something to talk about..... :beyersmile:

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #3,393 of 5,568
Quote:
GET OUT! man knowing all of this now, really bites! as I just sold my W4Rs? would have been very very nice to give this mod a listening to before I sold them off? I always just used the grey olives that came along with the W4s? should know better then a newbie on trying different tips/setups? in hearing things in a different manner, and uncovering what is already there?

the W4s where aweomse, but a little and only a very very little light  in the bass dept? and nothing that my rig could put back into the sound of them? but who would of thought, but I should have thought? that with altering the sound as it comes out from the IEM is a great place to do it from, from the source of the source of the sound, the IEM itself? not the player/source,

everything is a contributing factor, and I guess even more so the obscure? I have sound coming from the IEM, but even how it comes out, or whatever the sound passes thru will make a big diference, from the original file that passes thru player, and then goes to the amp/dac, to the cables it passes thru, and in the end on how/what it passes thru? not electrically, but the actual physical sound entering my ears, I guess even if we have earwax in our ears, even that will make a difference, untill it hits my eardrum,

and even then it has to be reprocessed back into an organic elecrtronic signal, all the way to where it has an impact on my cerebral cortex, and then goes thru even more processing? and then to finally settling into my sense of being! my spirit, my soul, and bringing me a sense of comfort, joy, and belonging, that NO other one thing can do for me on the face of the planet, that this little electronic wonder of music that I carry around with me, around my neck everywhere I go can do, hhmmm that's intersting? and you think that that's air that your breathing? hhmmm, go figure! lol,

anyways, damn I wish I had known this 5 days ago, maybe I wouldn't have sold them, oh well W4's, I hope the Merlins I will be getting are better still?

anyways Happy Listening everyone!
atsmile.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gotta love them W4s! or just gotta Love! my brother myself! Peace!

uhhhhh.. Dude.. Ur High or smthing?  you should better get some sleep man.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #3,394 of 5,568
Quote:
Is anyone using the yellow shure foams?  That's what I use and I have no problem with bass extension or treble sounding muddy, I find they fit perfectly on all the Westone's including my Westone 4.  They provide a little bit better of  a seal because they are the same thickness all the way through their length.  I agree that any of the deficiencies that people seem to claim on the westone 4 can either be fixed by a slight eq adjustment or a better fit.

i use yellow foamies on my w4s... and its gives a great transparency compared to other Grey foam tips and silicon..  it truly unleashes the power of W4s.. but too bad very few uses it..   never mind ! Love to see Ur hearing i mate!

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #3,395 of 5,568
Quote:
 uhhhhh.. Dude.. Ur High or smthing?  you should better get some sleep man.  
bigsmile_face.gif

LOL, awe Dude.....why Yes I am, on life and music! and sleeping very well also, spank you very much!
wink_face.gif

but bumming that I didn't try the tip mod with those W4s before I sold them off? as my brain converts the harmonious audio waves of pleasure back into organic eletronic signals, that feed into my cerebral cortex, and then settle into my being, my soul, and creates peace, joy, love, and harmony, as I become one with everyone and everything around me! might have kept them W4s after all,

likes I sayz, gotta love them W4s, or just gotta love, your brother, your sister, yourself!

Happy Happy everyone, Peace out, and listen to the music!

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #3,396 of 5,568
Quote:
I just got this a week ago, but i think I don't like it. It's feel like lack of treble .

That's what I thought previously, but ever since I am listening more and more, I'm loving it.
my previous IEM is UE700 and I do listent to Metal songs which mainly concentrates on guitar crunch.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #3,397 of 5,568
Quote:
I just got this a week ago, but i think I don't like it. It's feel like lack of treble .

Quote:
That's what I thought previously, but ever since I am listening more and more, I'm loving it.
my previous IEM is UE700 and I do listent to Metal songs which mainly concentrates on guitar crunch.

yes that's also exactly what I thought when I first got them, that they needed a boost in the treble dept? and I was going to get an all silver cable from Chris_Himself to help out in the treble, and even used the treble booster setting on the iPod to help compensate, but after a couple of weeks the sound seemed to change, the treble brightened up, no longer needed the treble booster on the crappy eq. the sound really balanced out ALOT? I really started loving them alot more then, I didn't think that BAs needed burn in time, as Dynamic drivers do? but the W4s really benefited from a week or so of playtime? some white and pink noise overnight also,  

but in the end it was the low end that seemed light for me, so I sold them off? wish I'd had tried the tip modd before hand though? oh well, to bad so sad, lol,
confused.gif

my ASGs are curiously fitting the bill for me atm? alot heavier sound, really mid centric, with a booming low end to them, and the treble seems to fall just where I like it? hhmmm go figure,

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #3,399 of 5,568
Has anyone noticed that Westone has changed their tips recently? It seems like the silicone tips now have larger openings (aperture). I went on the Westone website and saw this picture:

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #3,402 of 5,568
Finally found a tip that works better for me than the triples (which wouldn't stay sealed) - the Phonak Audeo Silicon Ear Tips (Large). Curiously, while they work great on the W2, W4, UM2 and UM3X, they don't work for me on the Shure Se535.

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3,403 of 5,568
I tried larger bore soft triples on my little adapter mod and i feel ear-raped after an hour.

My ears get itchy with silicon but not so irritating to me to use foam for some reason so I had another mod idea i am going to try. I'll post pics if it works out for those who prefer foam over silicon.

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #3,404 of 5,568
RipnBurn is correct.  The tips on the W4 in the picture are surely a silicone with a larger hole.

I got a new pair last week from Earphone Solutions but they are original style of everything.

You can see on their website they are showing most of these IEM's with a new type of silicone tip.  I need to know where to get those.  Gott ahave them!!!

http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/westone-music-products/universal-monitors.html

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #3,405 of 5,568
Quote:
RipnBurn is correct.  The tips on the W4 in the picture are surely a silicone with a larger hole.

I got a new pair last week from Earphone Solutions but they are original style of everything.

You can see on their website they are showing most of these IEM's with a new type of silicone tip.  I need to know where to get those.  Gott ahave them!!!

http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/westone-music-products/universal-monitors.html

IDK if it's the angle they have it at.  But those bigger tips remind me of the bullet tips, but in a translucent black instead of a translucent white :p  If you scroll down, you do get the old style tip (unless that's what you're referring to :p). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back