Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jul 11, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #2,971 of 5,568
Hi I've asked this in the sansa clip zip thread too.

I was just wondering if anyone with a W4r and a clip zip say whether there is hiss on it. Also, just to confirm, cables don't really cause hiss right? I plan to use aftermarket Lune mkII cables from Null Audio for my W4r.

So does the Clip Zip + Westone 4r + Lune mkii cable have any hiss?

Thank you :)

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #2,974 of 5,568
Quote:
Hey, just got my W4's! 

I've been reading alot about the Shure Olives. Which ones will fit the 4's? Is it worth it? 

Olives of any size will fit the W4's, if that's what you're asking. I've been using them since I got the W4's, they're some of the most comfortable, balanced sounding tips you can get for these.

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #2,975 of 5,568
Olives of any size will fit the W4's, if that's what you're asking. I've been using them since I got the W4's, they're some of the most comfortable, balanced sounding tips you can get for these.

I'm assuming is the Olive one made by sure not the ones that look like the Shure Olive by Comply Foam: http://www.complyfoam.com/products/Ts-100/

Correct? Does anyone the difference between the Shure or the Comply with the same shape?

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #2,977 of 5,568
Quote:
Hey all, is their any difference between the 4 and the 4R models? Other than the removable cable (which I don't care much for), is there any type of differences in sound?
Thanks

Technically speaking, no, there is no difference.  But do note that imbalances (which are rare to begin with) are going to be less common on the 4R than the 4 due to the 2 dB limitations.  Otherwise, the 4s will sound the same; I recommend you go after the 4 over the 4R if you don't care able removable cables.

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #2,978 of 5,568

Small imbalances are common actually, few manufacturers match drivers with measurement gear. We don't notice it much because our ears tend to go with what the sound averages out to be, when theyre small.Theres more precise matching on the 4R, guess kind of like the difference between a Etymotic 4P and 4PT. It's not a big deal though as long as you don't get something like a 3db imbalance.

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #2,979 of 5,568
Quote:
Hey all, is their any difference between the 4 and the 4R models? Other than the removable cable (which I don't care much for), is there any type of differences in sound?
Thanks

As far as I have compared my 4R to the store's 4, there's no noticeable difference. But the 4s are more comfortable without the memory cable though, although the memory cable is more secure. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #2,982 of 5,568
Hey james444... the W4's are growing on me. Especially with my home rig, they are actually very nice.
I've listened to nothing else since I bought these and the combination of very slight break-in, and becoming acustomed to the sound is having positive results.

Nice IEM's.
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2,985 of 5,568
^  Well, not all the credit --my ego does need some credit but not that much-- because, although I did say the W4 was my favourite Westone IEM, and one of the best BA phones I'd heard, I did say I preferred the sonics of the Heaven-S and felt he might prefer the sonics of the FADs, too, but did warn him about the FAD's cable and strain reliefs. So, how about just sharing the credit? I'm even prepared to share some of the credit with Mr shotgunshane.  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back