Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jul 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #2,941 of 5,568
I have not heard the FX700. The timbre on EX1000 is also excellent, very realistic. You have probably seen James' comparison of these iems. I agree mostly with him except I found the EX1000 to be more aggressive and engaging than romantic but I don't think I ever got a good seal which is why I sold them. From memory I think the EX1000 was better in the lower frequencies (more texture to cellos for example) but the GR10 has awesome mids, they are a bit forward but have amazing detail, clarity and speed. Guitars and violins sound amazingly crisp.

Jul 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #2,942 of 5,568
Based on the pictures I have seen, the Westone 4 (without the removable cable) looks like it would be a lot more comfortable than the 4R.
Can anyone who has tried both comment on the comfort of each? Thanks.

Jul 3, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #2,944 of 5,568
Quote:
There is a lot to like about the the Westone 4/4R but one thing that bugs me is the lack of transparency and false timbre. Pianos have a plastic sound to them, a grand piano sound like a honky tonk one. I hear it with guitars and violins too. Its not my particular pair of earphones I had the W4 and now the W4R and it's the same with both. If there is a universal like the W4 but with the timbre and transparency of the Grado GR10 I'd like to know what it is.

Interesting, I listened to acoustic guitar music today (both nylon and steel string) and didn't notice anything severely off. I'm not so good with judging pianos, but if there were something gravely offensive (like the CK10's and B2's metallic highs), I think I would have noticed. Out of the multi-BAs I've heard, the W4 strike me as quite good in timbre (though a bit warmish) - however, their sound signature varies wildly with tips and maybe that's an explanation for our differing impressions.

I agree on lack of transparency though, especially compared to something like the GR10. As for your last remark, what do you actually prefer on the W4 over the GR10?

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #2,945 of 5,568
I use the long complys for maximum isolation but I have also tried the grey tips and I still hear the plastic sound. It is a colouring I've not heard with any other top tier earphone. It seems I'm the only one who hears it. Maybe your warm is my plastic? I can listen to a piano concerto and everything seems fine until the piano starts playing and I'm suddenly very aware that the tone is wrong. I swich to the IE8 then GR10 and convince myself its nothing to do with the recording. Its the same with the violin its as if the strings are coated with wax.

I prefer the soundstage, ergonomics, isolation, bass, cable and the accessories that come with the W4. In fact I love everything about my W4R except the sound :)

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #2,946 of 5,568
Quote:
I agree on lack of transparency though, especially compared to something like the GR10. As for your last remark, what do you actually prefer on the W4 over the GR10?

Well, it may not be entirely fair to compare the W4's transparency to something as bright as the GR10 as they seem to be tuned largely for the transparency. However I could hear lots of detail with the W4 despite the lack of transparency, especially on the grey westone tips. 
Quote:
Based on the pictures I have seen, the Westone 4 (without the removable cable) looks like it would be a lot more comfortable than the 4R.
Can anyone who has tried both comment on the comfort of each? Thanks.

Westone 4 is a whole lot more comfortable. But the 4Rs wire stay more still because of the memory. 

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #2,947 of 5,568
Quote:
I use the long complys for maximum isolation but I have also tried the grey tips and I still hear the plastic sound. It is a colouring I've not heard with any other top tier earphone. It seems I'm the only one who hears it. Maybe your warm is my plastic? I can listen to a piano concerto and everything seems fine until the piano starts playing and I'm suddenly very aware that the tone is wrong. I swich to the IE8 then GR10 and convince myself its nothing to do with the recording. Its the same with the violin its as if the strings are coated with wax.

I prefer the soundstage, ergonomics, isolation, bass, cable and the accessories that come with the W4. In fact I love everything about my W4R except the sound :)

I think perhaps the plastic sound you're getting is perhaps the veil, I have found the veil to be pulling the piano down. I think you should try the translucent tips and see how it is. 

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #2,948 of 5,568
Still trying to decide between the w3 um3x or 4.  Need good isolation, comfort etc.  Listen to rock/metal as well as the usual audiobooks/podcasts out of a 3rd gen ipod touch.  I know I've asked the question a while back but still need to make a decision.  Thing is all of them seem to do something but not in one package!  Have had the 2's previously and liked those, though did feel they lacked a little in bass.

Any pointers?

Cheers

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #2,949 of 5,568
Quote:

Quote:
Well, it may not be entirely fair to compare the W4's transparency to something as bright as the GR10 as they seem to be tuned largely for the transparency. However I could hear lots of detail with the W4 despite the lack of transparency, especially on the grey westone tips. 

Don't know what being fair has to do with it, but it's quite obvious that the GR10 are flatter and more transparent than the W4, which are tuned for a slightly warmish and more pleasant sound signature:

But don't get me wrong, I love the W4 and the relaxed listening they provide, plus I agree that they have extremely good separation and detail without sounding overly analytical.

Quote:
I think perhaps the plastic sound you're getting is perhaps the veil, I have found the veil to be pulling the piano down. I think you should try the translucent tips and see how it is. 

Not so sure about the first part, since the veil is mostly a consequence of their slight warmth. By that measure the IE8 should be much more off-timbre (due to their bass hump), but dwizard doesn't seem to have an issue.with these.

I agree wholeheartedly on the second part of your post though, the W4 can change a lot with tips, and it's well worth exploring all possible options. I ended up preferring the Shure olives, but as always, ymmv.

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #2,950 of 5,568
I think I know what the problem is. I'm hearing the 5kHz drop in the frequency response as a "plastic" sound. I eq'ed +4db at 5kHz and it was much more transparent and the piano sounds more real :D
Thanks for posting the graph James.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #2,951 of 5,568
Quote:

Don't know what being fair has to do with it, but it's quite obvious that the GR10 are flatter and more transparent than the W4, which are tuned for a slightly warmish and more pleasant sound signature:

But don't get me wrong, I love the W4 and the relaxed listening they provide, plus I agree that they have extremely good separation and detail without sounding overly analytical.

Not so sure about the first part, since the veil is mostly a consequence of their slight warmth. By that measure the IE8 should be much more off-timbre (due to their bass hump), but dwizard doesn't seem to have an issue.with these.

I agree wholeheartedly on the second part of your post though, the W4 can change a lot with tips, and it's well worth exploring all possible options. I ended up preferring the Shure olives, but as always, ymmv.

I was saying that the Westone 4's signature has a slightly warmer and darker signature like the SM3v2, IE80 etc., therefore it is not fair to compare the transparency levels to the best of the best like the GR10, ER-4P/S or DBA-02/MKII. 

Well, as for the shure olives, I heard many saying that they are good, although I never had a chance to try them. 

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #2,952 of 5,568
I'm really interested in using an added impedance  with w4

has anyone heard such setup?

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #2,953 of 5,568
Right now I'm listening through: IPC --> Algrithm solo --> Continent V2 --> W4. I have to agree it's not that transparent, and the timbre of some of the instrument sounds not as realistic as my EX1000. But the vocals are so good and the overall sound is super smooth and non-aggressive, which made me like it more than my any other IEMs.

Jul 5, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #2,954 of 5,568
You can experiment with different impedences by using the volume controller that comes with the W4. Doesn't make much difference to me. Interestingly the IE80 and GR10 don't have the drop around 5kHz which may be the reason they sound more realistic to me.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #2,955 of 5,568
Quote:
I'm really interested in using an added impedance  with w4

has anyone heard such setup?

Quote:
You can experiment with different impedences by using the volume controller that comes with the W4. Doesn't make much difference to me. Interestingly the IE80 and GR10 don't have the drop around 5kHz which may be the reason they sound more realistic to me.

Edit: deleted, here's why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back