Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jul 6, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #2,956 of 5,568
All the time i thought the mushroom ear tips i have been using is the best... but i am wrong after A/B comparison.

But it has the good bass extension... Sweet though.

I tried the Bullet tips... For me, it was a bit over transparent and bright for my taste...  but.. good clarity though.

Today i had tried the tips which i never try before after i bought it... which is.. 

I love this tips a lot. Very very good among other stock tips i tried. Very close to Olive tips i have but i dislike the olive tips due to i couldn't fix them properly. The sound i feel alike to Etymotic ER4 series. Not that comfortable wearing this tips but it is a matter of time to adopt them.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #2,957 of 5,568
I have also moved from Shure Olive to the three flanges tips one month ago. The isolation is improved and the sound also seems more clear. Still have little bit uncomfortable when putting it into the ear canal, and it slips out of the ear when I smile or eat. And also, it turns yellow after I used for one month.

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #2,958 of 5,568
Really? Have you opened your jaw when inserting? You would get better isolation with jaw open when inserting.

Ya, the sound is great. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #2,959 of 5,568
Quote:
All the time i thought the mushroom ear tips i have been using is the best... but i am wrong after A/B comparison.

But it has the good bass extension... Sweet though.

I tried the Bullet tips... For me, it was a bit over transparent and bright for my taste...  but.. good clarity though.

Today i had tried the tips which i never try before after i bought it... which is.. 

I love this tips a lot. Very very good among other stock tips i tried. Very close to Olive tips i have but i dislike the olive tips due to i couldn't fix them properly. The sound i feel alike to Etymotic ER4 series. Not that comfortable wearing this tips but it is a matter of time to adopt them.

I have tried all of those and still like the "mushroom" ones the most. They just give me a sense of intimate sound that can make me say "wow". The bullet tips sounds good, but unfortunately, the fit is horrendous. The tri-flanges to me still veils the mid a bit though. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #2,960 of 5,568
Quote:
I have tried all of those and still like the "mushroom" ones the most. They just give me a sense of intimate sound that can make me say "wow". The bullet tips sounds good, but unfortunately, the fit is horrendous. The tri-flanges to me still veils the mid a bit though. 

+1 Swapped back to the mushroom tips...  As cool as it is to put the bullets in my ear, mushrooms give me the deepest lows and most intimate sound, it's kind of trippy :p

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2,962 of 5,568
I see, maybe i bias to the UERM Synergy. 
confused.gif

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #2,963 of 5,568
Quote:

Are you sure? I feel that the tri-flange bring out the background details, feel more forward compare to "mushroom tips" and more analytical. The bass extension was just cut off a bit.

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #2,965 of 5,568
Quote:
There is a lot to like about the the Westone 4/4R but one thing that bugs me is the lack of transparency and false timbre. Pianos have a plastic sound to them, a grand piano sound like a honky tonk one. I hear it with guitars and violins too. Its not my particular pair of earphones I had the W4 and now the W4R and it's the same with both. If there is a universal like the W4 but with the timbre and transparency of the Grado GR10 I'd like to know what it is.

Try Proguard Earportz. I was going to sell my W4 but those tips saved my W4.

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #2,967 of 5,568
Quote:

Good suggestion @heart banger, I've been trying the impedance adapter from UE's toolkit on my commute today and it has a significant impact on the W4's sound signature, taking the bass down to point where they almost start sounding thin, much closer to the likes of a GR10. Mids and highs are less affected and gain clarity and presence, piano notes sound crisper and a tad less blurry. Extension remains still excellent at both ends, especially the very lows seem to have gained a little presence relative to mid-upper bass, as I hear the bassline drop to bottomless depths on Mute Math's track "Equals".

One thing worth mentioning though, volume output takes a noticeable hit and I had to add an amp to the chain, at least for classical and more quiet recordings. Also note that these are provisionary impressions and I obviously need to listen longer and in quieter surroundings to rule out other possible downsides. But overall this has turned out to be a promising experiment so far.
smile_phones.gif

(Test setup: Cowon i9 (flat EQ) > Xin supermicro IV > UE impedance adapter > W4)

Sorry to say, scratch the above, since I haven't been able to repeat the same effect with different DAPs (and amps) in a reasonably consistent manner. Now I tend to believe that it's more about particularly good synergy with the W4s from the mentioned source, than an improvement from added impedance as a general rule. Cowon i9 (flat EQ) > Xin supermicro IV > UE impedance adapter > W4 does indeed sound excellent, but other setups using a Sony or Creative DAP showed little or no improvement at all.

On a different note, to anyone who happens to have a Nuforce Icon mobile, please try it with the W4. This little amp does a pretty good job of taking the warmth out of phones, it's my favorite pairing with the IE8/80 and it sounds great with the W4 as well.

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #2,968 of 5,568
Quote:

Sorry to say, scratch the above, since I haven't been able to repeat the same effect with different DAPs (and amps) in a reasonably consistent manner. Now I tend to believe that it's more about particularly good synergy with the W4s from the mentioned source, than an improvement from added impedance as a general rule. Cowon i9 (flat EQ) > Xin supermicro IV > UE impedance adapter > W4 does indeed sound excellent, but other setups using a Sony or Creative DAP showed little or no improvement at all.

On a different note, to anyone who happens to have a Nuforce Icon mobile, please try it with the W4. This little amp does a pretty good job of taking the warmth out of phones, it's my favorite pairing with the IE8/80 and it sounds great with the W4 as well.

thanks again
wink_face.gif

I have already ordered a w4R and 75 ohm added impedance to pair them with my arrow 4G and itouch (line out signal)
whenever I receive them, I will compare w4r with and without added impedance

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #2,969 of 5,568
Hi everyone, I am about to buy a new set of comply foam tips for my westone 4r. The problem is I am not so sure about which tip correspond to the p or t series.

The small and big sizes have a black core and I believe those correspond to P series.

On the other hand, the middle size has a white core, and I believe this is the T series.

Many thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back