Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Nov 6, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #2,296 of 5,568
Ah! Well, I'll be looking forward to your impressions then, :)

I fear the pair might be too bassy, but I have a pair of speakers lacking a sub that I think would benefit greatly from the ZO, so I picked one up anyway. Hopefully it pairs well with the w4 as well though.

Quote:
Well, I'll be listening to the combo tomorrow, but thanks 
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #2,297 of 5,568
I got a chance to try Westone 4 at one of those InMotion stores at an airport.  Was kind of disappointed.  Without proper amping on a mobile player, it didn't extent well in either ends, and the Comply tips on there probably also killed some sparkles too.  Noise isolation wasn't anything special either. Don't know how they can sell any W4 in that kind of environment, especially at a $400+ price tag.

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #2,298 of 5,568

Quote:
I got a chance to try Westone 4 at one of those InMotion stores at an airport.  Was kind of disappointed.  Without proper amping on a mobile player, it didn't extent well in either ends, and the Comply tips on there probably also killed some sparkles too.  Noise isolation wasn't anything special either. Don't know how they can sell any W4 in that kind of environment, especially at a $400+ price tag.

What mobile player did you use and what Comply tips did you use? 

Noise isolation isn't as good as an Etymotic, but it's pretty good as far as other IEMs go. Prob isolates the same as the TF10 if I remember right and should have definitely put out the airport background noise.

W4 requires a good fit - if you felt it didn't isolate enough, you didn't have a good fit, and you weren't getting proper seal, and you lost a lot of the good sound. Probably explains why you didn't think it extended well in either ends and why you thought it needed an amp.

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #2,299 of 5,568
Listening to my W4s right now and they extend as low as my SE535s (which is pretty darn low...20Hz ish from my freq. sweeps) and the highs extend further than the Shures.

Seal with universal IEMs is paramount....if the Complies don't work, then I'd suggest the Shure olives.

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #2,301 of 5,568
Finally have a listen to W4 a few days ago. Definitely reminds me of UM3X, which I do prefer over W3.

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #2,303 of 5,568
I will get my W4's this friday...very excited.
biggrin.gif

Purchased from "The e^Basement" thru Amazon.com for $334.95

Nov 11, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #2,304 of 5,568
This is the only place I can post this where people might feel sorry for me rather than going on and on about how expensive headphones are pointless.  I managed to leave my Westone 4's on the train last night and they have NOT made it to lost&found.  I'm absolutely gutted about it and the wife is going to kill me if I try to replace them.

... Obviously I'm going to have to replace them with Westone 4r's, it's the only right thing to do.  She'll just have to understand I have no choice!  I'm secretly hoping they show up at lost&found by Monday but in all honestly I know my chances are about 5%.

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #2,305 of 5,568
I would have returned them for you
smile.gif

With that said, why not buy used? It should save you a pretty penny. Total bummer though. How did you manage to put them down? I'd never rest them unless it was in my ears or in my bag.

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #2,306 of 5,568
I just put them down to put on my jacket and return them to the jacket pocket and then somehow spaced out completely and grabbed my bag and hopped off the train.  I feel so stupid, I normally never dare put them down for fear that.. I'll lose them. :frowning2:

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #2,307 of 5,568

Quote:
I just put them down to put on my jacket and return them to the jacket pocket and then somehow spaced out completely and grabbed my bag and hopped off the train.  I feel so stupid, I normally never dare put them down for fear that.. I'll lose them. :frowning2:

Sorry to hear about that I feel your pain. I lost my Lune cabled UE TF 10, Sennheiser IE 8 and my 7g ipod classic but I was mugged and stabbed while I was fighting back.

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #2,308 of 5,568
Getting stabbed has got nothing on subway apathy! Ok, but really.. wow, this might be a good OT thread. Where do you live, Burma Jones?

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #2,309 of 5,568

Quote:
Getting stabbed has got nothing on subway apathy! Ok, but really.. wow, this might be a good OT thread. Where do you live, Burma Jones?

I live in Toronto, Canada where they are soft on crimes, the government likes to coddle the criminals here and this is what the misguided left leaning types call progress. Incidentally, my martial art teacher was charged with assault after breaking the arm of a home invader in his own home. Sorry for getting off topic, I'm not scare but raging mad still, but more so at the complacent attitudes towards criminals that Canadian government are known all over the world for. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back