Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Aug 12, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #2,071 of 5,568
On second thought, I may have jumped the gun. I'd personally hold off on the Zo & W4 combo. After one too many tracks, I cannot exceed even the second gain setting on the Zo (out of 32 possible), without the lows beginning to sound muddy, whereas with both the RE262 and EX1000, even at the max setting, the detail and clarity remain so. Whiel the Zo initially did sound great with my W4, it didn't take long before I realized that it doesn't work nearly as well as withy the other 2 aforementioned. Then again, to be honest, the W4's  bass is enough as is IMO.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #2,072 of 5,568

Quote:
On second thought, I may have jumped the gun. I'd personally hold off on the Zo & W4 combo. After one too many tracks, I cannot exceed even the second gain setting on the Zo (out of 32 possible), without the lows beginning to sound muddy, whereas with both the RE262 and EX1000, even at the max setting, the detail and clarity remain so. Whiel the Zo initially did sound great with my W4, it didn't take long before I realized that it doesn't work nearly as well as withy the other 2 aforementioned. Then again, to be honest, the W4's  bass is enough as is IMO.

Aha!! See, I knew it. Yea, I didn't mention  that when I do use the Zo with the W4 I keep it at it's lowest setting. It still adds a little extra "umph" if you will, but you don't really need it. Again, as I've said before, I found the SE535 a bit anemic in the bass, but not the W4.  I know I know, somebody is going to say I need my head examined for saying the Shure bass was a bit anemic...lol. Bring it on...lol. 
popcorn.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #2,075 of 5,568

Quote:
Hmm... could it be because they're virtually a new pair of W4's?
blink.gif

I suppose that's possible.  I remember when I first tried the combo I couldn't go more than about 3 or 4 steps but after a while (no idea how long) I noticed I was going a lot higher.  Either brain burn in, zo burn in, W4 burn in or shotgunshane burnout.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #2,076 of 5,568
Well, for me, the Zo is not bad with the W4, but I think the Gr07 and EX600/EX1000 have better synergy with the Zo. I'm listening to the EX1000 right now connected to the Zo and iPod Classic.  I'm probably in the highest green level - very nice!

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #2,077 of 5,568

Quote:
Aha!! See, I knew it. Yea, I didn't mention  that when I do use the Zo with the W4 I keep it at it's lowest setting. It still adds a little extra "umph" if you will, but you don't really need it. Again, as I've said before, I found the SE535 a bit anemic in the bass, but not the W4.  I know I know, somebody is going to say I need my head examined for saying the Shure bass was a bit anemic...lol. Bring it on...lol. 
popcorn.gif

Since you asked for it.
smile.gif

The LCD-2s are FAR from having anemic bass....and well, I thought a picture says a thousand words:
wink_face.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #2,078 of 5,568
I just wonder what sort of tips/insertion depth Headroom used for their measurements as most know as well as I do that it makes a huge difference.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #2,079 of 5,568
Okay

But.......

Still sounds anemic to my ears 
beerchug.gif
deadhorse.gif
popcorn.gif

lol

Quote:

Since you asked for it.
smile.gif

The LCD-2s are FAR from having anemic bass....and well, I thought a picture says a thousand words:
wink_face.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #2,082 of 5,568

Quote:
Relative to any other multi-driver universal IEM's , the W4 bass is anemic, period. 

Relative to the Monster IEMs or IE8s, not doubt, but those are single drivers. Does the W4 have less bass than the W3 (a bit too much for me to call balanced)...yes it does. Does anyone know where a FR graph for the W4s can be found? The bass does seem a little less than the "perfectly flat" SE535s to my ears.

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #2,084 of 5,568
Ah, it appears the Westone white tri-flanges (which I'm personally not at all a fan of) were the culprits. They accentuated the bass a tad too much for my ears, and now with the stock gray silicone tips, I'm comfortably at the highest green setting.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back