Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Aug 11, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #2,041 of 5,568

Quote:
Does the ZO help with the 'harsh' treble?

I use the word "harsh" in comparison to make a point about the differences between the W4 and 1964-Q. That's why I said I would use the words harsh and soft, to try to put in words the difference in treble sound between the two. Now, with that being said, the W4 highs aren't harsh enough on its own that it would need smoothing out to my ears.

To answer your question in general, however, on how the Zo might affect IEMs with harsh highs, I would have to say no. The Zo mainly adds sub bass, but doesn't really affect the natural (or house) sound of the earphone. That's the beauty of the Zo. Now, it may add a little bit more texture (or weight) to the sound signature if you really increase the Zo's bass level, but I wouldn't say it darkens or lightens the sound signature as a whole.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #2,044 of 5,568
Aug 11, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #2,045 of 5,568

Quote:
That is GREAT!!

Thanks for the confirmation...in that case, I agree with you.
smile.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #2,046 of 5,568

Quote:

I have never heard the 64-Qs, but I did own the W4s for a couple of months, and I don't care what IEM you are comparing the Westones too, their treble could never, ever be characterized as harsh, even the way you used the term. The W4 treble is, among all the IEMs I have heard, about as smooth and unoffensive as any. In fact, I am one of those who EQ'd the upper frequencies a bit.

You did say that the W4 treble left your ears ringing, which sounds like a general statement about the W4 treble, not a comparison to the 64-Qs. All I can say is if the W4 treble left your ears ringing, as you said, you might want to consult an audiologist.

I can understand hearing the treble of two different IEMs as dissimilar, but if the 64-Q treble is even smoother and more laid back than the W4s, sounds like it might be recessed to those who find the W4 treble to be very smooth and laid back.

No, I won't be buying the 64-Qs, so you are right in that unless you own both, it is impossible to compare. But I did hear the W4s for a prolonged time, and it is really amazing that any IEM, custom or otherwise, could have a more inoffensive, laid back treble response (and last time I checked, this was the W4 thread, so this post is relevant).

Just wanted to clarify that to anyone reading this thread considering the W4s, the treble is not harsh, ever.

You know what, fine. I got a couple of inboxes from some of the silent watchers of this post stating they understood what I was saying, so I won't even try to clarify further. There is nothing wrong with the W4, period. I have stated that over and over again. I said what I said to give luco an analogy on the differences of sound between the two trebles. I will stick to that. Apparently, some people caught on to what I was conveying, and apparently you and a couple other people didn't understand. Some things you can't take so literally. And you probably wouldn't understand unless you hear the 1964-Q too and A/B it with the W4. Please let it end there. I have no intentions of getting into a war of words with you (or anyone else), especially over a universal IEM (the W4) that I have no major gripes with. Where I have it listed on my signature speaks volume, as far as I am concerned, about what I think of the W4. Let it go please. Thank you.

By the way, I DID NOT  say the W4 left my ears ringing, so it appears you didn't read my words too carefully to begin to try criticize me, in addition to not having heard both IEMs to understand where I was coming from, and apparently not understanding what the word analogy means. I will not address this with you (or anyone else) again.

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #2,047 of 5,568
My friends, please stop it before "silent watchers" start unsubscribing by the dozens. Like ever so often, isn't it merely a matter of preference and semantics, just like with the SM3's treble that has been described as anything from recessed to best ever.

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #2,048 of 5,568
A couple of people have actually complained that the Quad's treble is too recessed, fwir. W4 is also meant to be a stage monitor from what I've been told, despite of the series 

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #2,049 of 5,568

Quote:
SM3's treble that has been described as ..(snip)..best ever.

Who the heck said that?  Maybe I need to recheck my ignore list.  
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #2,053 of 5,568

Quote:
What's "the Zo"?

I've been using the W4 with PureSound Eartips for the past few weeks and lovin' it. They also have a large sound hole, and they seem to enhance the low end, as well as detail. They look like they'd be really uncomfortable, but are not for me. I did find that, normally, I tend to use medium size ear tips. With the PureSound tips, I couldn't get quite enough seal with the mediums. So I ordered the large version, and those seal really well, feel fine, and sound better than anything I've used with the W4 so far. Really interesting ear tips. I think the fact that they're a little more rigid than the biflanges helps hold the sound port open farther into your ear, which could be some of the reason they sound so good.

Between the Sensorcom biflanges, EarSonics biflanges (still need to get some of those to try), Future Sonics biflanges, and these PureSound tips, there's a pretty good range of tips for these IEMs now, and they all sound quite good. Anything with larger sound holes than the typical Shure type tips seem to enhance the sound of the W4s.

Sensorcom PureSound Eartips...

Just wanted to chime in and say I've been using these Sensorcom PureSound tips for the past few weeks, and they are THE best sounding universal tip for the W4 so far. I've tried all the double flanges from Future Sonics, EarSonics, and Sensorcom, and even those don't compare to the PureSound. They may not be the most comfortable out of all of them, but the comfort level is definitely OK. Getting the right size for your ear is also a necessity to get them to work right... but once you do, the sound is just so pure coming the IEMs compared to the others tips. Crystal clear with really great low end definition. If you haven't tried them, you should at least give them a go. Just make sure you get the right size to seal your ear canal, or they won't work well. You may have to try a couple of different sizes to find the right one. With these tips, I can pretty much say there are no faults with the sound quality of the W4s. Probably as close to a custom fit sound in a universal you'll get.

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #2,054 of 5,568

what size do you recommend if i use large comply foamies for the ety ER-4S? and usually a M to L on the shure tips.
Quote:
Just wanted to chime in and say I've been using these Sensorcom PureSound tips for the past few weeks, and they are THE best sounding universal tip for the W4 so far. I've tried all the double flanges from Future Sonics, EarSonics, and Sensorcom, and even those don't compare to the PureSound. They may not be the most comfortable out of all of them, but the comfort level is definitely OK. Getting the right size for your ear is also a necessity to get them to work right... but once you do, the sound is just so pure coming the IEMs compared to the others tips. Crystal clear with really great low end definition. If you haven't tried them, you should at least give them a go. Just make sure you get the right size to seal your ear canal, or they won't work well. You may have to try a couple of different sizes to find the right one. With these tips, I can pretty much say there are no faults with the sound quality of the W4s. Probably as close to a custom fit sound in a universal you'll get.

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #2,055 of 5,568

Can you get those in the states?
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back