Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Aug 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #2,056 of 5,568
I've seen them called [size=x-small][size=x-small]ProGuard EarPortz. Trial packs available at the Earplug Superstore for about $18 for XS, S, M, L or also in single size for $5.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Edit to add link: [/size][/size]http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/proguard-earportz-earphone-adapters-trial.html

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #2,057 of 5,568

Quote:
what size do you recommend if i use large comply foamies for the ety ER-4S? and usually a M to L on the shure tips.

I'm gonna say you probably will need the Large. I usually used mediums on most all the Shure type tips, but the Medium PureSounds did not quite seal up my ear canal well enough... I had to go to Large.

Quote:
Can you get those in the states?

I ordered them online from Sensorcom, and received them in the US fairly quickly.

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #2,058 of 5,568
Thanks for the info sir.

Quote:
I'm gonna say you probably will need the Large. I usually used mediums on most all the Shure type tips, but the Medium PureSounds did not quite seal up my ear canal well enough... I had to go to Large.

I ordered them online from Sensorcom, and received them in the US fairly quickly.

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #2,059 of 5,568
Can I use the  PureSound Eartips or [size=small][size=small]ProGuard EarPortz on my SM3 V2?[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]Thank You[/size][/size]

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #2,060 of 5,568

Quote:
Can I use the  PureSound Eartips or [size=small][size=small]ProGuard EarPortz on my SM3 V2?[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]Thank You[/size][/size]

I would say so. I think the nozzle on those is the same size as Shure and Westone, as they're all able to use the same dual flange silicon tips. I would think they can all use the PureSound or EarPortz tips, too. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #2,061 of 5,568

Thanks for that description Eric , if i am reading you correctly you are saying that your ears perceive the quads as having less noticeable treble presence than w4 whilst maintaining a similar extension , this may be due to the quads having more bass presence than the w4 ,therefore masking the treble somewhat ? .Ether Way it is not an issue for your ears as i know that treble is not the most important part of the sound spectrum for you.
beerchug.gif
 .For my ears the w4 has a perfect treble and is pretty much identical sounding to the treble of the sm3 but a bit more extended.

Quote:
Hey luco buddy... Hmmm? To some smoother means warmer, but I don't think the sound signature  of the Quad is warmer than the W4. So, I would use the words harsh and soft. You have to remember that the 1964-Q is designed to be an onstage in-ear monitor. The W4 is more audiophile earphone. This means that the treble of the Quad was tuned to a point where when musicians use it at higher volumes on stage the treble wouldn't cause them ear damage. Yes, the extension is there, but it's tuned in such a way that some people think it's not greatly extended in the treble region. It is, however, with great details in the highs too.

Now, you play the W4 at that same volume and for my ears the treble is going to be too harsh or brash. It's going to leave my ears ringing. Yet, the W4 still has great extension and details in the highs too. Did that help buddy? If not, I'll try again (unless someone else would like to take a crack at explaining it better than I did).

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #2,062 of 5,568
You are quite welcome luco. At least the person who originally asked the question understood what was I attempting to convey (and a few others). That's all that really matters. lol..
beerchug.gif

Both trebles sound great to my ears luco, but they are different.

Quote:
Thanks for that description Eric , if i am reading you correctly you are saying that your ears perceive the quads as having less noticeable treble presence than w4 whilst maintaining a similar extension , this may be due to the quads having more bass presence than the w4 ,therefore masking the treble somewhat ? .Ether Way it is not an issue for your ears as i know that treble is not the most important part of the sound spectrum for you.
beerchug.gif
 .For my ears the w4 has a perfect treble and is pretty much identical sounding to the treble of the sm3 but a bit more extended.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #2,063 of 5,568
Yet again, to my amazement, the Zo completely whatever it's paired with, and the W4 is definitely no exception. I'm hearing it now as we speak, with my favorite bass test track, and the results are just as expected; alas, where words fail, to anyone with the W4 desiring more powerful and impactful lows (ranging from moderate to
basshead.gif
), the Zo certainly delivers.

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #2,064 of 5,568
Not a bad track at all, especially from youtube.

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #2,065 of 5,568

Quote:
Yet again, to my amazement, the Zo completely whatever it's paired with, and the W4 is definitely no exception. I'm hearing it now as we speak, with my favorite bass test track, and the results are just as expected; alas, where words fail, to anyone with the W4 desiring more powerful and impactful lows (ranging from moderate to
basshead.gif
), the Zo certainly delivers.

No doubt i2ehan..no doubt at all..

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #2,066 of 5,568
But actually with the right seal - this will shock james444 - I get enough bass out of the W4 (no gobs mind you) without the Zo. But when I want to turn the W4 into a bass lover's dream, I reach for the Zo. Today I have just the 160gb iPod Classic and no Zo. It's on flat and the bass is plenty!!

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #2,067 of 5,568
Quote:
But actually with the right seal - this will shock james444 - I get enough bass out of the W4 (no gobs mind you) without the Zo. But when I want to turn the W4 into a bass lover's dream, I reach for the Zo. Today I have just the 160gb iPod Classic and no Zo. It's on flat and the bass is plenty!!

I don't find it the least bit surprising my friend. To me, whatever added bass the Zo brings me with the W4 is solely based on my preference alone, and even without the Zo, the W4 does a great job IMO, but only when called upon. Hence it heavily varies from track to track, where I seldom find the need, per se, to use the Zo. IMHO, the Zo only adds a 'fun' factor to an already exceptional in-ear (W4).

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #2,068 of 5,568
Just got a pack of  S M L.  Mighty expensive (15 quid incl vat/delivery) considering you'll only be using one pair, but an even greater waste of money if I got a pack which didn't fit. Anyhow.  Will report back.  If the sound is as you say it is, I'd happily pay that for a pair.
Quote:
Just wanted to chime in and say I've been using these Sensorcom PureSound tips for the past few weeks, and they are THE best sounding universal tip for the W4 so far. I've tried all the double flanges from Future Sonics, EarSonics, and Sensorcom, and even those don't compare to the PureSound. They may not be the most comfortable out of all of them, but the comfort level is definitely OK. Getting the right size for your ear is also a necessity to get them to work right... but once you do, the sound is just so pure coming the IEMs compared to the others tips. Crystal clear with really great low end definition. If you haven't tried them, you should at least give them a go. Just make sure you get the right size to seal your ear canal, or they won't work well. You may have to try a couple of different sizes to find the right one. With these tips, I can pretty much say there are no faults with the sound quality of the W4s. Probably as close to a custom fit sound in a universal you'll get.

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #2,069 of 5,568

Quote:

Paired with my x7 and all its sound enhancements the w4 becomes a bass monster ,easily putting out a powerful  impactful full on bass to satisfy any bass head.
popcorn.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #2,070 of 5,568
i just went with the version from earplugstore that was linked. it looks like the same product, just cheaper for me since they're based in the US. i guess we can compare when we get them to see if the earplugstore version is a knockoff or something.

Quote:
Just got a pack of  S M L.  Mighty expensive (15 quid incl vat/delivery) considering you'll only be using one pair, but an even greater waste of money if I got a pack which didn't fit. Anyhow.  Will report back.  If the sound is as you say it is, I'd happily pay that for a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back