Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Aug 8, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #2,011 of 5,568
Quote:
^ Of course it's not nice to start thinking about another (very) expensive IEM after just getting the W4s, but even though I also liked the W4 - my favourite universal IEM only 3 months ago -, I find the Sony EX1000 to be a step up. I think you would not find the same sonic flaws on the EX1000s. On good recordings and/or masterings I've not heard a phone that matches the EX1000's SQ, not even my $850 customs (Westone ES3X). However, if isolation is key, then the EX1000s may not be for you.

Unfortunately isolation is quite important.  That said, both the MDR-EX1000 and ATH-CK100 have piqued my interest.  Something about the Japanese :)

On the subject of tips, I'm having a little fun with the white translucent tips.  With the smallest one, the seal is poor and as expected, bass suffers and the balance shifts towards the treble end.  The accuracy of the timbre improves, but at the expense of bass quantity and quality.  Seems like I'll need to find a tip with the just the right amount of bass leakage ie poor seal!  I remember having to do the same for the now defunct E500 PTH / SE530.  Tell you what though, the W4 with tri-flanges sound mighty awful.  GAWD.  Congested, bright, and not to mention very uncomfortable.  The W3 was equally repulsive with the tri-flanges.  The only IEM I've had success with them were the Etymotics.  Grey silicone are pretty decent.  Very natural sound.  Upper midrange pops out now at the expense of a bit of warmth.  Soundstage widens, but a little congested and lacking in clarity.  Now I'm guessing there's a reason why the W4 came with (short) Complys attached. :wink:  ... Slim Complys are even better IMO.

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #2,012 of 5,568
^ Both EX1000 & CK100 have very different sound sigs. The CK100, also a triple-BA IEM, reminded me a lot of the UM3X sonically, though the latter had the slight edge. The EX1000 is a DD IEM and is a different beast altogether.

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #2,013 of 5,568
@ericp10: Question for you my friend. Would you say that the Zo pairs as well with the W4 as it does with the Sony EX series? I find with my EX1000, it's a match made in heaven.

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #2,014 of 5,568

Quote:
@ericp10: Question for you my friend. Would you say that the Zo pairs as well with the W4 as it does with the Sony EX series? I find with my EX1000, it's a match made in heaven.

i2ehan, I would say the Zo pairs well with any IEM I've listened too recently (except I didn't like it too much with the Custom 3, but haven't done an extensive listen yet). The Zo is just exquisite with both the EX1000 and the EX600. I was quite please with its sound with the W4, but I've been busy trying to capture and get use to the W4's natural sound that I haven't used the Zo a lot with either. I'll check it out tonight and give you an update. The last several days the GR07 have been glued into my ear canals, but I gave them break and listened to the EX600 last night for awhile with the Zo and then unamped. The Zo loves the EX600. Today I actually wore the W4 to work, but unamped (testing them out some more with my Monster foam hybrid tips, which I love the combination thus far).

I can tell an IEM, however, that the Zo is not compatible with. That would be the IE8. I didn't personally listen, but I let a colleague try out the Zo with the IE8 and he said that IEM (even on low) has just too much bass to be used with the Zo. He said the sound was overloaded and too muddy (even with the Zo on low too).

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #2,015 of 5,568
Quote:
i2ehan, I would say the Zo pairs well with any IEM I've listened too recently (except I didn't like it too much with the Custom 3, but haven't done an extensive listen yet). The Zo is just exquisite with both the EX1000 and the EX600. I was quite please with its sound with the W4, but I've been busy trying to capture and get use to the W4's natural sound that I haven't used the Zo a lot with either. I'll check it out tonight and give you an update. The last several days the GR07 have been glued into my ear canals, but I gave them break and listened to the EX600 last night for awhile with the Zo and then unamped. The Zo loves the EX600. Today I actually wore the W4 to work, but unamped (testing them out some more with my Monster foam hybrid tips, which I love the combination thus far).

Thank you my friend. Looking forward to it.
smile.gif

I can tell an IEM, however, that the Zo is not compatible with. That would be the IE8. I didn't personally listen, but I let a colleague try out the Zo with the IE8 and he said that IEM (even on low) has just too much bass to be used with the Zo. He said the sound was overloaded and too muddy (even with the Zo on low too).

I've quite honestly found this to be the case with just about every bass-heavy IEM of mine, and find the Zo pairs best with any in-ear that's not already bass-heavy. Otherwise, going past the very first setting is simply overkill. The MDT's are a prime example, as are my Atrio's, and the JVC's (to a lesser, but similar extent).

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #2,017 of 5,568
^^  The upper midrange is actually quite good.  Articulate, detailed, and not at all too bright.  It's the bass that sounds a tad anaemic/rolled-off and lacks visceral impact; the attack/decay in the lower end of midrange & upper bass (cello/double basses around) is a fair bit off and blends into the rest of the midrange.  There's just too much 'sound' in that frequency range (150-300Hz).  Gosh it's hard to put into words.  I don't know if I'm doing a good job describing what I'm hearing.  Ideally I'd push the frequencies <~70Hz up and put a small dip in the 150-300Hz.  It really cleans up the sound, but I'm not really an EQ person at all.  I'm still experimenting with tips and insertion depth - so far learned that out of the tips provided, the Complys sound the best, and that there is no need to insert them deep into ears.

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #2,019 of 5,568

Quote:
What you are describing is almost exactly how I eq'd them when I had them.

Haha really?!  I'm glad someone's verified that I don't have tin ears!

PS modded tri-flanges sound great  (cut stalk to flush with largest flange + snip off smallest flange flush with the middle flange).  Slightly sibilant though, but lower mid/upper bass is quite clean now.  Bass needs EQ now for rock/electro-pop, but perfect for classical.  Acoustic instruments sound closer to in real life.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #2,021 of 5,568
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a portable amp for the W4's in the near future. I may get the digiZoid ZO v2 in september. Are their any other amps that you guys would recommend for the W4's in the $100-200 range?

Thanks

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #2,023 of 5,568

Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a portable amp for the W4's in the near future. I may get the digiZoid ZO v2 in september. Are their any other amps that you guys would recommend for the W4's in the $100-200 range?

Thanks

It might sound strange....but honestly, the JDS cMoy is a great pick for use with the Westone 4's. I have both the SR-71A and cMoy and whilst the SR-71A is slightly cleaner and ever so slightly sharper, the cMoy often gets more listening time for it's slightly warmer, greater (but not as crisp) bass and the main reason, the wider soundstage. The W4 has fantastic instrumental separation and I think the cMoy really pairs well to emphasise this. The space between farthest left and right is greater using the cMoy and instruments are given an extra layer of prominence which really makes it easier to appreciate the little details in music. 

Plus, at only $60, your're laughing. Just make sure you use as powerful a 9V Ni-mi rechargeable battery with it as you can find.

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #2,024 of 5,568
Yes, instrument separation in the W4 is bananas!!

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #2,025 of 5,568

Quote:

Okay, as promised, I'm listening to the W4 through the Zo. Great great synergy. The Zo nicely adds that extra sub-bass that some may feel is missing from the W4. And it's so natural sounding. It doesn't sound like an artificial add on at all. Zo is quite amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back