Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jul 31, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #1,981 of 5,568
The only tips that don't hurt my ears after continued use (I have small ear canals) are the gray silicone sleeves and the Ety small biflange (if I don't stick them too deep - good thing W4's don't allow for the deep fit), but they are still a bit large and keep popping out. The complys that came with it were too large for me, but I know that the smallest size doesn't hurt to an unbearable degree. This is the reason I'm going the custom route lol!

If I could get a good long listen to these, I'd be happy. Perhaps I should get the custom tip, but I'm already getting the ES5 so IDK about that.

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #1,982 of 5,568

Quote:
Aren't all Canadians cool?
smile.gif

Of course we are, everyone should know that by now.

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #1,983 of 5,568
So, I wanted to add a quick note as I continue to settle in and get to know the W4. Original impressions haven't changed too much (I still think they're great earphones), but there is one major criticism. At first I couldn't quite put my finger on it. The W4 is definitely detailed; I don't hear a veil as some people have described about them (the IE7 and IE8 had veiled sounds to me); but something is missing. I thought it might have been tips that I'm using, but switching tips around still didn't help my issue. Finally, I realize what is bugging me.

The W4 - as great as it sounds - isn't the the most transparent multi-driver BA IEM I've heard. Again, details are there but the Westone house sound (assumption since I haven't heard any other Westone) doesn't seem to be one of total transparency. The 1964-Q is quite more transparent; but so is the EX600 and the GR07. Again, before someone claim I'm bashing the W4, I think this is one of the best out there, but there is a lack of transparency that's a little bothersome. So I'm finding that I have to listen to the W4 a bit louder to totally appreciate it. And the Zo helps too, but the lack of transparency bothers me a little. I don't need it to be analytical, but the e-Q7 is clearly more transparent than the W4. Again, I still like the sound of the W4.

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #1,984 of 5,568
So is it transparent at louder volumes then?  That does remind me of phones like the Monsters that really like juice to sound best.  

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #1,986 of 5,568

Quote:
So is it transparent at louder volumes then?  That does remind me of phones like the Monsters that really like juice to sound best.  

Yes, the transparency improves greatly at louder volumes.

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #1,987 of 5,568
I agree with Eric that the W4 aren't up there with the very best when it comes to transparency and believe that's due to a combination of slight warmth, slightly thick note and slightly subdued dynamics. None of these is actually bothersome on its own, but altogether they make an audible difference in transparency as compared with a phone like the e-Q7. That said, I still rate the W4 overall higher than the e-Q7.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #1,988 of 5,568

Quote:
I agree with Eric that the W4 aren't up there with the very best when it comes to transparency and believe that's due to a combination of slight warmth, slightly thick note and slightly subdued dynamics. None of these is actually bothersome on its own, but altogether they make an audible difference in transparency as compared with a phone like the e-Q7. That said, I still rate the W4 overall higher than the e-Q7.

X2

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #1,989 of 5,568
I've had mine since this afternoon, and while I can only compare them with a limited number of current and previous IEMs, the W4 are just superb!  My wallet is due a well earned rest now and its gonna get a long one!

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #1,990 of 5,568

Quote:

Good point.  The lack of transparency and crispness and efficiency makes me rate W4 way down on the line of universals.  Westone is great at nailing exactly the sound they want with all of their IEMs but I still dont understand what they were trying to do with W4.  it is very balanced...but it all ends there.  not much else to praise IMHO.

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #1,991 of 5,568

Quote:
Good point.  The lack of transparency and crispness and efficiency makes me rate W4 way down on the line of universals.  Westone is great at nailing exactly the sound they want with all of their IEMs but I still dont understand what they were trying to do with W4.  it is very balanced...but it all ends there.  not much else to praise IMHO.

I personally think you got rid of the W4's too soon. The W4 honestly sounds the closest to a higher end headphone than any other IEM I've listened to thus far. What they tried to do with the W4 is provide a balanced, wide sounding, detailed sonic presentation. The soundstage is unreal for an IEM, very expansive with class leading (among universals) instrumental separation.

The problem is, they can be a tad timid in the bass department unless amped. But combined with the cMoyBB and/or SR-71A, these things really sing. With the cMoy they actually have an even wider soundstage with even better instrumental detailing. Bass is much punchier too. I EQ mine to bring out some of the low bass, increase the mids ever so slightly, reduce some of the mild veil, and finally add a tiny bit more sparkle to the high's, and honestly, they consistently impress.

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #1,993 of 5,568
Testing the Denon D5000 now as well, one tell tell trait that high end phone's would benefit from being amped is weak or soft padded bass and sometimes overly bright or messy higher presentation. The Denon D5000's show similar properties to the Westone 4's being plugged straight in to an iPhone 4. They sound fine, very good in-fact. But the sound stage isn't quite as expansive and bass takes quite a hit. The SE535 and D5000 still both have more bass quantity than the W4's, but with an amp the gap is closed by a good margin. I personally still EQ the W4's even amped, but that's because I'm a bit of a bass junky and EQ a teeny bit of bass to nearly all my phones.

I don't use the Bass Boost switch on the cMoy mind, that's a bit too much bass even for me. But I bet some of you guys would love it, especially if you listen to a lot of Hip Hop, Drum n Bass, Dub Step etc.

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #1,994 of 5,568

Quote:
So, I wanted to add a quick note as I continue to settle in and get to know the W4. Original impressions haven't changed too much (I still think they're great earphones), but there is one major criticism. At first I couldn't quite put my finger on it. The W4 is definitely detailed; I don't hear a veil as some people have described about them (the IE7 and IE8 had veiled sounds to me); but something is missing. I thought it might have been tips that I'm using, but switching tips around still didn't help my issue. Finally, I realize what is bugging me.

The W4 - as great as it sounds - isn't the the most transparent multi-driver BA IEM I've heard. Again, details are there but the Westone house sound (assumption since I haven't heard any other Westone) doesn't seem to be one of total transparency. The 1964-Q is quite more transparent; but so is the EX600 and the GR07. Again, before someone claim I'm bashing the W4, I think this is one of the best out there, but there is a lack of transparency that's a little bothersome. So I'm finding that I have to listen to the W4 a bit louder to totally appreciate it. And the Zo helps too, but the lack of transparency bothers me a little. I don't need it to be analytical, but the e-Q7 is clearly more transparent than the W4. Again, I still like the sound of the W4.

Hmm.  My thoughts exactly.  "Transparency", "clarity", "instrument separation", however you want to describe it.  I just don't think it's a strength of the Westone house sound.  I've heard the W4, W3, UM3x, UM2, UM1.  The UM2 and UM1 seem to fair a little better, but the higher end earphones just don't have the same "transparency".  I agree that the details are certainly not lacking.  In fact, the higher-end Westones are incredibly revealing, yet the way the details are presented aren't the most "transparent" at all.  The SE535, ER4P/S, Triple.fi10Pro, Monster Copper/Gold/MDT, etc IMHO aren't quite as resolving as say the W4 or UM3x, but because of their less congested sound I find them all more enjoyable to listen to.  

Note to self: the UM3x is probably the most "transparent" of the Westone line-up.

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #1,995 of 5,568

Quote:
Hmm.  My thoughts exactly.  "Transparency", "clarity", "instrument separation", however you want to describe it.  I just don't think it's a strength of the Westone house sound.  I've heard the W4, W3, UM3x, UM2, UM1.  The UM2 and UM1 seem to fair a little better, but the higher end earphones just don't have the same "transparency".  I agree that the details are certainly not lacking.  In fact, the higher-end Westones are incredibly revealing, yet the way the details are presented aren't the most "transparent" at all.  The SE535, ER4P/S, Triple.fi10Pro, Monster Copper/Gold/MDT, etc IMHO aren't quite as resolving as say the W4 or UM3x, but because of their less congested sound I find them all more enjoyable to listen to.

I wouldn't say instrument separation is off.  I was able to pick out a left tom from a right tom using the W4.  It's so good at times I find it often unnatural tbh.  Maybe you are referring to dynamic range?  

I only roll amped however so no idea about the W4 unamped. 

Note to self: the UM3x is probably the most "transparent" of the Westone line-up.

That you've heard.  That's not their whole lineup obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back