Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Mar 8, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,186 of 5,568

Quote:

Sounds like they're missing forward projection. I hated this about the SM3. YMMV.

Ok, could some helpful W4 owner please make a short test to clarify the soundstage presentation for me? Listen to Eagles / Hell Freezes Over (the live record), track 5 "Tequila Sunrise". At 1:16 into the song there's a castanet sound that should be heard from far right, but still in front of you. If it plays from behind your head (like with the SM3), the W4 are not for me. Thanks!
smile_phones.gif

it's at the right, slight front.

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #1,188 of 5,568

Quote:
what tips makes reveals the beauty of westone 4? im using the single flange and while it is good. its not so comfy

I prefer the Shure olives on the W4.  They work best for me.  They sound more balanced to me with the olives.  Of course, your mileage may vary.

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #1,189 of 5,568

Quote:

Sounds like they're missing forward projection. I hated this about the SM3. YMMV.

Ok, could some helpful W4 owner please make a short test to clarify the soundstage presentation for me? Listen to Eagles / Hell Freezes Over (the live record), track 5 "Tequila Sunrise". At 1:16 into the song there's a castanet sound that should be heard from far right, but still in front of you. If it plays from behind your head (like with the SM3), the W4 are not for me. Thanks!
smile_phones.gif

It's right where it should be.. front/far right..  and that is one of my favorite test albums.
beerchug.gif

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #1,190 of 5,568
Quote:
it's at the right, slight front.

Thanks!

Quote:
Phew!  

@James 
tongue.gif

Yeah, lol!
ksc75smile.gif

Never before so close to buying a Westone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyRusso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's right where it should be.. front/far right..  and that is one of my favorite test albums.
beerchug.gif

Again, thanks! Wow, two replies and one PM within a few minutes - You guys rock!
beerchug.gif

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #1,191 of 5,568
hello my name is vicente. i am pretty new to the more high end iem's. i had a pair of shure e2c but my dog had a go at them when i miss placed them and now i need to upgrade really bad. i am looking to place my order soon but i cant decide on if i should go with the westone 4's or shure se 535 or the um3x. i listing to allot of techno , some metal and also classical. for my preference i liked my e2c for there clarity and the base they carried. ive read almost every page on this thread but i am still not sure what to get so i need some help.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #1,192 of 5,568
Vicente,

You can't go wrong with the W4, judging by your musical taste.

Quote:
hello my name is vicente. i am pretty new to the more high end iem's. i had a pair of shure e2c but my dog had a go at them when i miss placed them and now i need to upgrade really bad. i am looking to place my order soon but i cant decide on if i should go with the westone 4's or shure se 535 or the um3x. i listing to allot of techno , some metal and also classical. for my preference i liked my e2c for there clarity and the base they carried. ive read almost every page on this thread but i am still not sure what to get so i need some help.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #1,193 of 5,568
well from all the info i got from this forum i am liking the idea getting them. honestly i wish that shure made a quad drive because i love the whole detachable cable concept. kind of wish they made the 4s with detachable cables but that's just me.

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #1,195 of 5,568

Quote:
If the W4 is an arc, the SM3 is a sphere w/ you in the center.  Wide doesn't make it unique, it's the arc that never violates my periphery that is.  If you think the W4 SS sounds like the SM3 I beg to differ.

Hello,

I agree with you that sometimes, on certain records, the sound from the Sm3 comes a little bit from the back (200-220 degrees) but to my ears, the whole presentation isn't like a 360 degrees sound (sphere).

Best regards.

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #1,196 of 5,568
Arg. I was one of the individuals that pre-ordered the W4 way back from earphone solutions and still haven't received mine! It's been almost a month now and still nothing! Never choose to go with the "free shipping" to Canada, I don't know why they even offer it. Biggest mistake I've ever made. I just hope it's not lost...really want my W4s!!

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #1,197 of 5,568
first impressions since using them for 2 days straight. speed, accuracy, instrument separation, and super smooth is what i would call them. each frequency is perfect and never does it get muddy. since getting these babies i havent listened to any of my iems and that includes eq5 re262 ex600 fx700 ddm ie8 ie7 etc. these are THAT good. im afraid the only logical upgrade is customs

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #1,198 of 5,568
Arg. I was one of the individuals that pre-ordered the W4 way back from earphone solutions and still haven't received mine! It's been almost a month now and still nothing! Never choose to go with the "free shipping" to Canada, I don't know why they even offer it. Biggest mistake I've ever made. I just hope it's not lost...really want my W4s!!

You should give them a call. I used free shipping with them twice and received my earphones within 5 days. And I live in Hawaii. Everything normally takes twice as long to get here

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #1,199 of 5,568
Update: just got them this morning! Didn't mean to bad mouth Earphonesolutions, this makes for another successful order that I've placed with them. I guess the blame (which I should disclose, is still within reason - under 30 days) should be placed on USPS and Canada Post's slow shipping times.

Quote:
Quote:

You should give them a call. I used free shipping with them twice and received my earphones within 5 days. And I live in Hawaii. Everything normally takes twice as long to get here

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #1,200 of 5,568
how does the w4 compare to a pair of srh840s? I think its high time for me to leave the shure sound (i dont know if its worth it trying to get 535's if i have the shure sound signature in my 840s). i've had scl2's for ages, before i picked up my srh840 earlier this year. for me, i dislike taking the baby steps because i know i'm just going to want more so i prefer to just cut to the top and skip the steps such as um2 and tf10 and just go with the w4. i've been reading a lot on the w3 and now w4 and i have come to the conclusion this would be perfect for casual listening (more engaging, more fun) than the analytical shure sound (though i listen to a lot of indie and vocals so they definitely sound great, just looking for something more engaging and fun). anyway, just looking for some thought from someone who might have both. would the w4 just destroy the 840s? would i not use the 840s once i get the w4? it seems the w4 can compete with full size cans...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back