Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Mar 9, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #1,201 of 5,568
Well that 80 pages made me... By the way I don't own anything. This is my first post. Actually know I feel that I am qualified to post and ask here after a couple of months.
rolleyes.gif
I owe you guys a lot. You really opened up my world in the past 6 months. You guided me to ship the ad700 and my soundcard Titanium HD over the continents. You people are unique. I was wearing a 5 dolar earbud 1 year ago. After that i had cx300 for nearly one year. Then i had AD700 thx to you but I use it only at home. I'm a computer hardware addict and i know how you guys feel about your wallets and desires to upgrade and how people around you respond to this. I always tried to make a silent gaming pc and for 2 years I spent a lot for this goal. I think thats why my ears became sensitive and wanted better sound. Actually my wallet can't take another high cost addiction but...
L3000.gif
By the way I'm from Turkey and all they know around here is Sennheiser except some handful of guys. Anyways after a year with cx300 i wanted to buy someting which is how can i say "unique". And by order i researched cx500, IE 6 7 and 8 like all the jarheads here
atsmile.gif
and then I came across Grado GR10, Shure E315 and then Monster Turbines then E530 and then i found out Westones and the other high end IEM's. Lastly, the customs. I've been reaserching for the last couple of months and having heck of a struggle to understand these vocabulary without even listening to an actual IEM. Finally, I sold lots of second hand hardware and decided to buy Westone 4, according to my sound preferences "which i think that i don't have one"... Consequently, i thought it would be wise to buy an all arounder. But the thing is that I am coming from a cx300... I'm still asking my self that do my ears deserve or can understand this tresure. Naturally, I can't ask any questions about the sound but here is the 2 question i have:

1- Is it wise to move to Westone 4 from cx300?
I'll miss all the knowledge and music taste that you guys gained through your journeys. As far as i know from my pc hardware addiction you'll always want the upgrade so i think W4 is the way to go once for all. And after I buy my first high-end IEM, I definately plan "not to check this forum for a long time to be happy and live longer".
biggrin.gif

2- I only have an ipod touch 3rd gen as a source. Will it drive the W4 enough?

Sorry for the grammer and spelling mistakes. Again, many thanks to all of you guys...

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #1,202 of 5,568
i plan on making a similar jump, but using an srh840 in between, which some people compare to se530 which is a notch behind the w4. i find using the srh840 i never use my scl2's...for obvious reasons, both are dynamic drivers and well, the 840 brings everything the scl2 can but better. then again the scl2's were ~$80 years ago and took me through high school and the 840s were $150 maybe a half year ago so they shouldnt compare (shures lower end iem v higher end headphones).

i think jumping the gun from cx300 to w4 you probably wont appreciate the small differences from say moving up from the w3 or tf10 and any of the steps in between but you will certainly enjoy the music. i think that it isnt a bad thing though, skipping steps in between you don't know whats in the middle, but if you back track you can probably tell the difference ie use tf10's and know they are a step up up from cx300 but behind the w4. this is at least how i have come to terms with it in my head. 

as for the ipod as a source, it should suffice. if i can get w4's i plan on using them with an ipod classic 120gb. maybe use a d4 as a portable amp, but i think the benefit of the d4 isnt worth the burden of carrying it (the d4, while smaller width and height, is much wider) if i am really just doing casual portable listening like on BART or just something small. car rides are another story. anyway, aren't iems much less demanding than headphones? the way i see it, and read on the forums is that cans benefit from amping, and the higher end iems do as well but not to the extent amps are necessary (contrary to some cans). 

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #1,203 of 5,568

Quote:
how does the w4 compare to a pair of srh840s? I think its high time for me to leave the shure sound (i dont know if its worth it trying to get 535's if i have the shure sound signature in my 840s). i've had scl2's for ages, before i picked up my srh840 earlier this year. for me, i dislike taking the baby steps because i know i'm just going to want more so i prefer to just cut to the top and skip the steps such as um2 and tf10 and just go with the w4. i've been reading a lot on the w3 and now w4 and i have come to the conclusion this would be perfect for casual listening (more engaging, more fun) than the analytical shure sound (though i listen to a lot of indie and vocals so they definitely sound great, just looking for something more engaging and fun). anyway, just looking for some thought from someone who might have both. would the w4 just destroy the 840s? would i not use the 840s once i get the w4? it seems the w4 can compete with full size cans...

I think the W4 are more engaging and fun than the 840s.  But so are a lot of things out there.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #1,204 of 5,568
Thats what I have deduced as well. But how is the detail and instrument separation? Better worse? 

The sound stage on the 840 is really funky for me, its like the music is playing behind my head, with my back facing the music. Its enough to bother me if I'm paying attention to it but I try not to...Hopefully the w4's don't have this weird soundstage issue. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #1,205 of 5,568

Quote:
Thats what I have deduced as well. But how is the detail and instrument separation? Better worse? 

The sound stage on the 840 is really funky for me, its like the music is playing behind my head, with my back facing the music. Its enough to bother me if I'm paying attention to it but I try not to...Hopefully the w4's don't have this weird soundstage issue. 

I never got the W4 behind me.  You might have seen a few posts about W4 SS  a page or two back.  The detail and instrument separation is very good and goes very wide.  Sometimes too wide for me but others prefer that.  I was actually able to place each piece of Neil Peart's drum kit in front of me.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #1,206 of 5,568

Quote:
i plan on making a similar jump, but using an srh840 in between, which some people compare to se530 which is a notch behind the w4. i find using the srh840 i never use my scl2's...for obvious reasons, both are dynamic drivers and well, the 840 brings everything the scl2 can but better. then again the scl2's were ~$80 years ago and took me through high school and the 840s were $150 maybe a half year ago so they shouldnt compare (shures lower end iem v higher end headphones).

i think jumping the gun from cx300 to w4 you probably wont appreciate the small differences from say moving up from the w3 or tf10 and any of the steps in between but you will certainly enjoy the music. i think that it isnt a bad thing though, skipping steps in between you don't know whats in the middle, but if you back track you can probably tell the difference ie use tf10's and know they are a step up up from cx300 but behind the w4. this is at least how i have come to terms with it in my head. 

as for the ipod as a source, it should suffice. if i can get w4's i plan on using them with an ipod classic 120gb. maybe use a d4 as a portable amp, but i think the benefit of the d4 isnt worth the burden of carrying it (the d4, while smaller width and height, is much wider) if i am really just doing casual portable listening like on BART or just something small. car rides are another story. anyway, aren't iems much less demanding than headphones? the way i see it, and read on the forums is that cans benefit from amping, and the higher end iems do as well but not to the extent amps are necessary (contrary to some cans). 

Thanks for the reply. I too like that IEM's don't really require amps. You just buy it and use it without much need for extras. I'll order the W4's when in stocks.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #1,207 of 5,568
I just received the W4 an hour ago and it really impress me already.  It is definitely the best universal IEM I have heard, it is more fun than W3 while retaining the UM3x' details.  This is as close to JH13 as you can get without going custom IEM. 

Setup: iMod>Arrow 3G>W4 with UM56

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #1,209 of 5,568

Quote:
as far as i read comparisons between se535 and w4, the w4 is more analytical. dont think they are more engaging and fun. w3 maybe would be.

I won't call W4 analytical at all, SE530 and/or SE535 is certainly more fun than all Westone IEM I have heard but it does not have the separation or as detail as W4.

Mar 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #1,210 of 5,568

Quote:

I won't call W4 analytical at all, SE530 and/or SE535 is certainly more fun than all Westone IEM I have heard but it does not have the separation or as detail as W4.

The 535's were definitely NOT more fun than the W3 for me.  They were too polite, except in the mids.  They were a one trick pony to my ears.  They did mids, mids and more mids.  To the point where they actually irritated me in a few frequencies.  They were sold as quickly as possible.  I had high hopes for them but they couldn't deliver for me, for whatever reason (fit, tip).  The W4's may come off as analytical at first, most likely due to their excellent separation.  Shortly thereafter you'll find your toes tapping and a growing smile as you work through your playlists.  At least that's how it happened for me.  I loved them on first listen and love them even more after spending some quality time with them.  For those who haven't tried them, I highly recommend trying the Shure olives.  They have been my favorite tip by far (for those that have read that over and over, sorry to sound like a broken record).  I'm so satisfied with my W4's that I'm even considering selling my full size headphones, as they get less and less head time.  While they may technically be better (debatable), it's hard to beat the form factor of the W4 or any top tier IEM for that matter.  Only time will tell if my HD600's move on.

Mar 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #1,211 of 5,568

Quote:
I never got the W4 behind me.  You might have seen a few posts about W4 SS  a page or two back.  The detail and instrument separation is very good and goes very wide.  Sometimes too wide for me but others prefer that.  I was actually able to place each piece of Neil Peart's drum kit in front of me.

Where's the like button???  LOL  oh yeah, that's on Facebook.
beerchug.gif

Mar 9, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,212 of 5,568

Quote:
how does the w4 compare to a pair of srh840s? I think its high time for me to leave the shure sound (i dont know if its worth it trying to get 535's if i have the shure sound signature in my 840s). i've had scl2's for ages, before i picked up my srh840 earlier this year. for me, i dislike taking the baby steps because i know i'm just going to want more so i prefer to just cut to the top and skip the steps such as um2 and tf10 and just go with the w4. i've been reading a lot on the w3 and now w4 and i have come to the conclusion this would be perfect for casual listening (more engaging, more fun) than the analytical shure sound (though i listen to a lot of indie and vocals so they definitely sound great, just looking for something more engaging and fun). anyway, just looking for some thought from someone who might have both. would the w4 just destroy the 840s? would i not use the 840s once i get the w4? it seems the w4 can compete with full size cans...

The 535's DO NOT sound like the 840's, so no worries there.  THe 840's are more fun and closer to the W3, than the W4.  The W4 reminds me more of my HD600's than the 840.  I haven't touched my 840's in months.  They're a bit heavy and hot on my head.  They are great for movies, but I haven't been watching movies on my PC lately.  I think it's time they move on, although my daughter really likes them.

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #1,213 of 5,568
I also would not think of the 535 as fun. I just could not get much enjoyment out of them. That shows once again how we all hear differently. I do find the W4 absolutely fun and feel they have the right amount of everything for me. The mids are perfect for me...even Um3x was too much for me in that regard.

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #1,214 of 5,568
Today, after lots of going back and forth, I am prone to think that the W4 is truly amazing. Maybe flawless. Especially, after understanding that this weird echo/reverb on some albums is actually a characteristic of good over the ear headphones. I was a little spooked out by that at first.

Are there some things I will miss that other earphones have? Yes.
Do I wish I could still own several pairs of iems for their specific flavor? Yes. Some days you want some Shure mids or Ety analysis.
Do I wish the W4 were serviceable/had removable cables? Yes. I am more afraid of keeping these as my only earphone than I would be with the SE535 or ER4P (particularly because I hear of Westone problems more than those companies; not that Westone doesn't back up their warranties, I just would rather not send in my iem ever.)

But, that being said, I am really, really impressed by the W4 (which oddly enough is the first first impression I had of the W4) I'm in a boat where I need to have one, maybe two pairs of iem. I think my iem boat has come to its harbor.

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #1,215 of 5,568
Quote:
Do I wish the W4 were serviceable/had removable cables? Yes. I am more afraid of keeping these as my only earphone than I would be with the SE535 or ER4P (particularly because I hear of Westone problems more than those companies; not that Westone doesn't back up their warranties, I just would rather not send in my iem ever.)

i guess you missed out on the earlier versions of the shure e500s. wonderful iems - a delight to listen to. but many had cable problems (i never did, but then i probably treated them more gently than others might) and shure was helpful only up to a point (some had problems getting satisfaction there). it likely had something to do with the redesign.  it sounds like westone toughened up their cable.  i doubt that they want a headache here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back