Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Feb 15, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #751 of 5,568

Quote:
Honestly, after hearing the W4, I'm not sure if I'm more or less intrigued by customs.  The one and only thing that I could ask for over the W4 at this point anyway, is perhaps more bass impact.  I wouldn't want to sacrifice any of the detail or separation that I'm hearing above and beyond the W3, but I could always live with more impact :)   That may be where the line is drawn between universal and customs at this point.  It has to be that last bit of detail/impact/balance that can be rung out of these armatures that you pay for in a custom.  That and the isolation/comfort.

Oh Joey, compared to the W4 the ES5 bass impact can punch you in the gut and knock you off your a**!  

Feb 15, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #752 of 5,568
So after almost 24 hours with the W4, I thought I chip in my first impressions also. I would be one of those 'ordinary' headfiers (as music_4321 would say). My recent "decent" IEM history has been UE Super.fi5EB -> Shure SE530 -> Sennheiser IE8 -> MTPC. So I normally like bassy, and like javahut, I was kind of nervous about the early reviews and the "lack of bass". I normally listen to several different genres, pop, rock, hip-hop, dance, trance, metal. My main source is my iPhone 4, unamped and EQ set to Rock / R&B, now more often at "off."

For trying these out these were my reference tracks:
Jump Into the Fog - The Wombats (Indie Rock)
(Classical) Machines (The Remix) - Biffy Clyro (Classical / Vocal)
B.o.B. - OutKast (Hip-hop / rap)
All Hope is Gone - Slipknot (Metal)
You've Got the Love - Florence + The Machine (Pop / Vocal)
Mescaline - The Prodigy (Dance)
Stereo Bass - Bass Outlaws (Bass tester?!)

I was considering buying the W3 as I have had real trouble getting the MTPC to fit my ears and stay there and the W3 seemed to fit my sound likes. I have pretty small ear canals, and I tried every tip in the MTPC pack, even importing SuperTips into the UK and still no joy. But I perservered with them as when I got a good fit I loved their sound. I figured I'd hold off to see what these were like first though and if I didnt like them go for the W3.

So first impressions:-

Packaging - I was kinda disappointed! Its like a small white cardboard box with just the phones, case and tips. Oh and a CD. BTW, @Flavio T, on the website it says included is a "free EarphoneSolutions Instructions and Tips on How To Get the Best Sound Exclusive" but I never got one. Unless thats the Westone CD. Anyway, back on topic - compared to my other recent purchases I was a little taken aback at what my $449 just got me. Physically, they are plasticky and very light. The cable is thin but tightly braided and looks sturdy enough, as do all the supports. But they say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover and it seems they were right...

Fit - This is the first IEM I've had fit my ear like its meant to and shows on the marketing blurb. I tried both the small white bullet tips and the small gray silicones. Insert, twist back, and outside world noise disappears. Can't hear a thing. TV, wife, cat, dogs in the street - gone. And this is before the music started. Comfortable too. After a minute or so in my ear, I can't feel them at all.

Sound - I guess I could just about rehash everything here that has been said before by lostangeles, joeyrusso and javahut. First and foremost to me was the bass. There definitly isn't as much in your face bass as the 5EB or IE8, or even the MTPC, but in my opinion its marginal. What it is, is that its better presented. Its not lacking by any means, but it's better than I've heard off my other IEMs. Well controlled, fast, there, TBH this was the thing I was most nervous about, but I shouldn't have been. It no Bass Monster, but on stuff like Stereo Bass to test it with, its plenty there. The bass doesn't interfere with the mids like it does for me on the MTPC. There is clear seperation between the two and even between Mids and Highs. On tracks like Jump Into the Fog, I swear I could hear every audio mix of the track seperately, and all round my head. Sound stage on these is incredible, and compared to the other big soundstage IE8 is in a different league. On Classical Machines it was like I was sitting in the middle of the orchestral parts. The vocals on You've got the love were clear and front stage. Not an ounce of hiss on quiet parts also. I found I could listen comfortably at a lower volume on the iPhone too, maybe its because of the isolation on them. The sound is well balanced and I'm enjoying them more and more the more I listen. No matter what I throw at them they cope superbly, and right now I can't find their weak genre style - at least for me.

Are they worth $449? For me, yes. For you, I couldn't say. What I can say is that $449 is around £280 in UK money today, and that's not including the inevitable customs bill I'm going to get invoiced for. I don't regret buying them in anyway though. I seen them advertised on a UK site for £314.99 but they were out of stock. Depends on how much you want them now if you are in the UK I suppose.

To sum up - great fit, great sound, well happy. Anyone wanna buy some MTPC........

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #754 of 5,568

Quote:
So after almost 24 hours with the W4, I thought I chip in my first impressions also. I would be one of those 'ordinary' headfiers (as music_4321 would say). My recent "decent" IEM history has been UE Super.fi5EB -> Shure SE530 -> Sennheiser IE8 -> MTPC. So I normally like bassy, and like javahut, I was kind of nervous about the early reviews and the "lack of bass". I normally listen to several different genres, pop, rock, hip-hop, dance, trance, metal. My main source is my iPhone 4, unamped and EQ set to Rock / R&B, now more often at "off."

For trying these out these were my reference tracks:
Jump Into the Fog - The Wombats (Indie Rock)
(Classical) Machines (The Remix) - Biffy Clyro (Classical / Vocal)
B.o.B. - OutKast (Hip-hop / rap)
All Hope is Gone - Slipknot (Metal)
You've Got the Love - Florence + The Machine (Pop / Vocal)
Mescaline - The Prodigy (Dance)
Stereo Bass - Bass Outlaws (Bass tester?!)

I was considering buying the W3 as I have had real trouble getting the MTPC to fit my ears and stay there and the W3 seemed to fit my sound likes. I have pretty small ear canals, and I tried every tip in the MTPC pack, even importing SuperTips into the UK and still no joy. But I perservered with them as when I got a good fit I loved their sound. I figured I'd hold off to see what these were like first though and if I didnt like them go for the W3.

So first impressions:-

Packaging - I was kinda disappointed! Its like a small white cardboard box with just the phones, case and tips. Oh and a CD. BTW, @Flavio T, on the website it says included is a "free EarphoneSolutions Instructions and Tips on How To Get the Best Sound Exclusive" but I never got one. Unless thats the Westone CD. Anyway, back on topic - compared to my other recent purchases I was a little taken aback at what my $449 just got me. Physically, they are plasticky and very light. The cable is thin but tightly braided and looks sturdy enough, as do all the supports. But they say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover and it seems they were right...

Fit - This is the first IEM I've had fit my ear like its meant to and shows on the marketing blurb. I tried both the small white bullet tips and the small gray silicones. Insert, twist back, and outside world noise disappears. Can't hear a thing. TV, wife, cat, dogs in the street - gone. And this is before the music started. Comfortable too. After a minute or so in my ear, I can't feel them at all.

Sound - I guess I could just about rehash everything here that has been said before by lostangeles, joeyrusso and javahut. First and foremost to me was the bass. There definitly isn't as much in your face bass as the 5EB or IE8, or even the MTPC, but in my opinion its marginal. What it is, is that its better presented. Its not lacking by any means, but it's better than I've heard off my other IEMs. Well controlled, fast, there, TBH this was the thing I was most nervous about, but I shouldn't have been. It no Bass Monster, but on stuff like Stereo Bass to test it with, its plenty there. The bass doesn't interfere with the mids like it does for me on the MTPC. There is clear seperation between the two and even between Mids and Highs. On tracks like Jump Into the Fog, I swear I could hear every audio mix of the track seperately, and all round my head. Sound stage on these is incredible, and compared to the other big soundstage IE8 is in a different league. On Classical Machines it was like I was sitting in the middle of the orchestral parts. The vocals on You've got the love were clear and front stage. Not an ounce of hiss on quiet parts also. I found I could listen comfortably at a lower volume on the iPhone too, maybe its because of the isolation on them. The sound is well balanced and I'm enjoying them more and more the more I listen. No matter what I throw at them they cope superbly, and right now I can't find their weak genre style - at least for me.

Are they worth $449? For me, yes. For you, I couldn't say. What I can say is that $449 is around £280 in UK money today, and that's not including the inevitable customs bill I'm going to get invoiced for. I don't regret buying them in anyway though. I seen them advertised on a UK site for £314.99 but they were out of stock. Depends on how much you want them now if you are in the UK I suppose.

To sum up - great fit, great sound, well happy. Anyone wanna buy some MTPC........

Hey, thanks for your detailed impressions!

Like you, amongst other things, I'm wondering about the bass performance of the W4s compared to the UM3Xs. I know I found the UM3X's bass considerably better than the SE535's and more refined and natural sounding than the W3's.

Quote:
Thanks for your impressions FlexPen. Can you specify which UK site you saw the W4s advertised for £314.99?

Here: http://www.theheadphonecompany.co.uk/headphones/westone-headphones-westone-4-true-fit-quad-driver-earphones.php

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #755 of 5,568
For those who are interested, I emailed theheadphonecompany about when they expect to receive stock and they replied with:

Quote:
[size=small][size=10pt]We have been told they will be in some time this month. That is all we know at the moment.[/size][/size]
[size=small][size=10pt]As soon as we are informed by the distributor of a confirmed delivery date we will update the website straight away.[/size][/size]
[size=small][size=10pt]May be put yourself on the email me when in stock list, this way you will know as soon as we have them in, you will be notified via email[/size][/size]

For the sake of (hopefully) up to 13 days, it may be worth waiting to purchase from them rather than import from America.

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #756 of 5,568

Quote:
Great impressions/review.  I want to throw in a few more of my own impressions.  I feel the same way about the W4 when it comes to throwing everything and all genres at them and having a hard time finding flaws.  If anything, I might ask for slightly more sparkle, transparency and air like the Westone ES5, but then again we're comparing the W4 to a custom IEM costing 2x as much and it's just not going to perform at that level.  Nevertheless, I've not had a universal IEM make me feel quite this close to the music before, when used with a good source and amp.

I see that you've tried different tips.  I'm surprised that they sound so good without needing my UM56 custom tips, and I liked them with the Complys, single flange silicone and triple flange with the stalks cut shorter.  I might have a pair of black olives buried around here to try later, but I seem to recall they didn't go in deep enough to seal when I tried them with my W3 in the past.  When I use the UM56 custom tips the W4 don't really sound a lot different, while my W3 sounded noticeably better with the UM56 as it balanced out their bass, mids and treble a little better (with UM56 tips I still like W3 more than UM3X).  

The W4 are already more balanced sounding and the UM56 don't make them a whole lot better, so although it is an improvement they're not mandatory.  On the other hand the fit and isolation are much better with the custom tips.  Note - if I push the W4 too deep into my ear using the single flange silicone tips then the treble does get a little bit muted with them - but re-seating them shallower fixes that.  So, the sound can be dependent on the tip and fit, like with any other universal fit IEM.  Another note, the universal silicone tips can make my ear canals itch a bit, but the UM56 silicone custom tips don't have that problem for me.

I believe that I get a bigger improvement upgrading my source and amp than with changing to different tips.  The UM56 tips are more like icing on the cake.  I've been using the W4 with my UM56 custom tips all day, trying them with different sources and amps. Like a good high end custom they scale up nicely with a good source and amplification so that they're not typically the weak link in the chain.  The iPhone 4 or 6G Nano headphone out sounds nice with them, but going to an LOD with Pico Slim or my HM-602 gives a noticeable jump in performance, as does my DACport 24/96 USB DAC from my Macbook.  I could certainly listen un-amped all day long, but I prefer to use the Slim or HM602 for portable (and the DACport sounds very similar to these).  

Moving from portable upgrades to my HDP DAC/amp with Macbook was small step up and improved the treble presence, air and ambience; but the DACmini out of the Macbook is another jump above that, giving me a "WOW" moment a couple of times.  The synergy is really great with this combo.  I still might have to try them with my Woo WA6 or ZDT amps, which are crazy silent, sound wonderful with my custom IEM, and have good channel balance at low volumes.  Those have always been my best amps for my ES3X, JH13Pro and UE11Pro.  

On the other hand, despite scaling up with better gear, the W4 don't seem to make a lower performing iPhone 4 or my lower bit-rate music sound bad, since their sound is not overly analytical.  If I can't carry around an LOD+Amp or HM-602 with me I'm still perfectly happy using the iPhone 4, and having just now switched back to the single flange silicone tips that opinion hasn't changed when giving up the custom tips.

Thanks Larry.  I love the olive tips on the W3 and on the W4.  They don't sap as much off the top as the Comply's for me.  I must have a shallow ear opening, because I've never had issues with getting a seal with most IEM's.  If anything, too deep can be an issue for me.  The ER4P was uncomfortable, the Klipsch S4 tolerable, although the silicon made my ears itch.  That's how I first discovered the Olives.

The W4 sounds great with all of my sources so far.  I listened out of my iPhone 3G, my J3 and mostly through my D4 (Foobar2k).  They are definitely best with the D4, but the difference's are negligible.  I'd love to hear these through a tube amp, just to hear the changes.  That may be the next move for my HD600's and hopefully for the HE6P's when they are released.

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #757 of 5,568

Quote:
Oh Joey, compared to the W4 the ES5 bass impact can punch you in the gut and knock you off your a**!  

C'mon brother, you're killing my buzz... LOL   That's what I'm honestly expecting out of a custom after hearing the W4.  The final level of refinement with the added kick.  We'll see how long I can resist the temptation.. LOL

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #758 of 5,568

Quote:
Here: http://www.theheadphonecompany.co.uk/headphones/westone-headphones-westone-4-true-fit-quad-driver-earphones.php

Quote:
For those who are interested, I emailed theheadphonecompany about when they expect to receive stock and they replied with:

For the sake of (hopefully) up to 13 days, it may be worth waiting to purchase from them rather than import from America.

Good to know, thanks both.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #759 of 5,568
These sound extremely good and I had my eyes set on something else. 
mad.gif
mad.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #760 of 5,568
Quote:
Great impressions/review.  I want to throw in a few more of my own impressions.  I feel the same way about the W4 when it comes to throwing everything and all genres at them and having a hard time finding flaws.  If anything, I might ask for slightly more sparkle, transparency and air like the Westone ES5, but then again we're comparing the W4 to a custom IEM costing 2x as much and it's just not going to perform at that level.  Nevertheless, I've not had a universal IEM make me feel quite this close to the music before, when used with a good source and amp.

Larry, i can't recall if you've addressed this before, but how does the w4 compare with your es3x?

Quote:
C'mon brother, you're killing my buzz... LOL   That's what I'm honestly expecting out of a custom after hearing the W4.  The final level of refinement with the added kick.  We'll see how long I can resist the temptation.. LOL

Joey, you're going to need both the es5 and the jh16 pro soon, to be truly satisfied! 
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #761 of 5,568

Quote:

Larry, i can't recall if you've addressed this before, but how does the w4 compare with your es3x?

Joey, you're going to need both the es5 and the jh16 pro soon, to be truly satisfied! 
wink.gif

Given my enjoyment of Westone products to date.. I'll stick with what I know..
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #762 of 5,568
Quote:
bigsmile_face.gif

JoeyRusso said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
...  for those occasions when a little brain bouncing is called for :)

i've no doubt that you'd be thrilled to pieces by the es5. i was just thinking that the jh16s will appeal to your inner bass monster when you want to shake your brain a bit!
evil_smiley.gif

[welcome to h-f, sorry about your wallet.... 
eek.gif
]

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #763 of 5,568

Quote:
Hi guys. I wanted to ask a few questions of what you guys prefer about the the Westone 4 and Shure SE535.
(For owners of both the SE535's and W4's, Please respond)
-What are the main sonic advantages of either one of these phones over the other and vice versa?
-Which is more balanced and neutral in your opinion?
-What genre of music are they best for?
-Which is more portable for you? 
-(Obvious Question) Which one do you honestly prefer?
Thanks guys!
A1811

I just got my Westone 4 yesterday and I happen to have my brother's SE535 on loan with me at the moment. The first things that comes to my mind is how refined and sophisticated the W4 are in their presentation. The W4 does most things better than the SE535, they have better extensions on both ends of the spectrum, the bass have better control, imaging is superior, soundstage is bigger and more " 3-d " The SE535 is a very good top-tier iem and the two things it does better than the W4 ( very slightly btw ) is transparency and the midrange. The SE535 does have a emphasis on the midrange, because of that I feel the W4 is more balenced and neutral. Also the W4 is the first b.a. iem I have heard that has that smooth sonic integration of all the frequency spectrum that can only usually be found in a dynamic drive iem .                                                                                                                                                                               
I listen to many different types of music, here are some of the genre I've been feeding the W4, classical music, jazz, world music, classic rock, alternative rock, folk, blues, electronica, electronic music, reggae and they all sounded very good with the W4. The SE535 does have a very slight edge on music that mainly focus on vocals and the midrange ( classic rock, blues, folk ).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   In terms of comfort and portability the W4 wins hands down. The cable on the SE535 is a pain in the butt to put on ,they're also have a lot of microphonics but they are comfortable once they're in your ear and they do have a slight edge in isolation.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     In the end I prefer the W4 because I have a wide variety of different genre of music I enjoy and the W4 doesn't do anything wrong . The only bad thing I can think of is they can be quite addictive and my other toys don't get much playtime.                                                                                                                                                                                                                           I've compare both iem using Shure black olives tip and my sources are 7'th gen ipod classic 160b, iphone 3gs and Sensa Clip +. By the way they both scale very well with different amps as well but that's another story for another day. Hope that might be some help to you.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #764 of 5,568

I don't know, the fact that a company made some products that you like doesn't guarantee anything more than sonic preferences imo. Sonic preferences are everything, brand names are of the last things I look at unless the build/quality control will require good customer service. From what I'm reading they all sound very different and Westone doesn't seem to have a house sound. Having said that I think it's healthier to stick to universals for now since you're so satsified.  
Quote:
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back