Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Feb 16, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #781 of 5,568
I'm really excited with W4 reviews you guys are putting out so far. Looks like W4 improves on major drawbacks that were bothering me with my W3 - overly boomy bass that bleeds into low mids giving them too warm coloring. I really hope that unlike W3 the W4 don't need EQing.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #782 of 5,568

Quote:

Larry, i can't recall if you've addressed this before, but how does the w4 compare with your es3x?

Joey, you're going to need both the es5 and the jh16 pro soon, to be truly satisfied! 
wink.gif

I did compare them here a while back, see below.  The thing is they do sound different, and my ES3X remind me more of my re-cabled HD800 and the W4 remind me more of my LCD-2 - two different ends of the spectrum but both very good with the right source and amp. 

Quote:
BRIEF SECOND THOUGHTS:  Still doing more listening tonight, and I do think the W4 sound is groundbreaking for a universal IEM.  

It's the best universal that I could be happy with in place of a custom IEM, and I don't feel a constant desire/need to switch over to one of my better custom IEM.  Is it better than my ES5 or JH13Pro?  No, but I might like this one more than my ES3X, and certainly more than my UE11Pro (unless using the UE11Pro with my Woo WA6 amp).  The ES3X are not quite as warm and full sounding as the W4, although they are exceedingly detailed and transparent and call attention to that fact.  The W4 don't seem to call attention to anything, and just do a superb job without a lot of fanfare.  On a technical basis, the ES3X are probably a little ahead, but the W4 are a little more musical and liquid sounding and less dry (like some would say with the proverbial SS amp vs tube amp comparison).  I'd say the W4 are closer to my ES5 than my other IEM, but with a little smoother treble and slightly more forgiving sound signature for poorly recorded music.

For those that think the W3 needs better bass control/balance, or that they need a fuller midrange, or who feel they are sibilant at times, the W4 should be just the ticket to satisfy their needs.  For those who feel the W3 are perfect, the W4 improve upon them with the little tweaks here and there, but should not alienate a W3 lover.  For those who love the UM3X, the W4 mids are still full and rich although not as forward, and the sound is less dry and more organic and powerful sounding.

That's all for now.

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #783 of 5,568
Seems the um3x or es3x are more for my taste than w4 or es5, since I prefer a neutral, accurate signature over a warmer, darker sound signature. If Westone does come up with a um4x, I hope it'll be a dual-mids driver rather than dual-lows.

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #784 of 5,568
Hmm if you don't want a warm sound I doubt the UM3X could be it. People say it's very warm dark signature. Even though the W4 is a dual low configuration the quantity is said to be less than the W3 and UM3x. 

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #785 of 5,568

Quote:
Hmm if you don't want a warm sound I doubt the UM3X could be it. People say it's very warm dark signature. Even though the W4 is a dual low configuration the quantity is said to be less than the W3 and UM3x. 

VERY warm dark signature ?! That's VERY wrong.

Quote:
Seems the um3x or es3x are more for my taste than w4 or es5, since I prefer a neutral, accurate signature over a warmer, darker sound signature. If Westone does come up with a um4x, I hope it'll be a dual-mids driver rather than dual-lows.

I thought es5 was neutral..

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #786 of 5,568

Quote:

The W3 is warm and dark, the W4 is definitely not dark.  It's as close to neutral and accurate as any triple BA IEM I've heard to date.  I no longer need my RE0 for critical listening.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #787 of 5,568
I dreamed last night about the W4. Seriously. Ok, it was more of a nightmare. Its sound signature was like mash potatoes being pushed through a screen.

I think I'm nervous I'll like it.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #788 of 5,568

Quote:
I dreamed last night about the W4. Seriously. Ok, it was more of a nightmare. Its sound signature was like mash potatoes being pushed through a screen.

I think I'm nervous I'll like it.

I can promise you this.. they won't sound like that, unless they're in a tragic potato accident before they get to you.  LOL  I wouldn't be nervous about liking them.. You either will or you won't.  I'm betting that you will.  When do they arrive??

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #789 of 5,568

Quote:
I was close but at this price range I will also consider the Sony EX1000 and I like my mid-highs laid back (like the SM3) so I really can't make a comforting decision at the moment. 

Oh man, what makes you think the EX1000 is laid back in the mid-highs?  I thought they were more akin to Grados.  They are also very bass light despite having a massive driver.

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #790 of 5,568

Quote:

ES5 is not a warmer, darker signature.  That is not accurate to my listening.  Being a hair warmer than an ultra bright phone does not make it a warm/dark phone.  Did someone say the ES5 wasn't neutral or accurate?  The W4 is warmer than the ES5 a bit, certainly not dark at all.  The um3x seems to be the warmest phone in your post.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #791 of 5,568

Quote:
I can promise you this.. they won't sound like that, unless they're in a tragic potato accident before they get to you.  LOL  I wouldn't be nervous about liking them.. You either will or you won't.  I'm betting that you will.  When do they arrive??

I was relieved to find out I was asleep hating them, rather than awake hating them! I think they should be here either Thursday or Friday. Can't wait! Eek!

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #792 of 5,568
I wanted to thank the guys at earphonesolutions for doing such a great job shipping these out so quickly.  Even though I got free shipping, just received mine this morning along with a sweet Westone tshirt as an early pre-order bonus :)

As for sound, I've just put them on for a few minutes and still adjusting to the sound signature....definately way different than my other office headphones I listen to, the ESW10s (which I have a hard time getting rid of due to it's unique sound).  The one thing I must say right away thought is that they are definitely less muddy than the Westone 3's :)

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #793 of 5,568
I just received mine as well and I too will say off the bat that they seem a little less bloated and muddy sounding than the w3's....also the shell seems to be a touch smaller,more like the w2;s in size and shape...it is a subtle difference but unless I am imagining things I do notice it........all in all for the first few minutes of testing they sound quite nice....I will give them a proper testing and report back

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #794 of 5,568
Interesting to note that from the new W4 owners so far, no-one seems to have owned the UM3X but the W3 instead. Perhaps the more 'coloured' W3 sound has prompted more owners to try the W4, while more UM3X owners still remain on the fence - the UM3X being perhaps a better IEM, or at least more neutral sounding, perhaps closer in the end to what the W4 offers?

Mere speculation, of course.

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #795 of 5,568
that may be true for the folks who received them in the last few days but certainly that's not the case for HPA &,, iirc, Shigzeo, as i'm sure you're well aware. and Larry has an awful lot of experience with different iems, both universal and custom, and particularly with different Westone products, and he has spent considerably more time listening to the W4s and comparing them to other iems than anyone else to date. (i do understand that you're looking for other perspectives too.)
besides, his post earlier on this page compares them to your reference es3xs (as well as other customs & both the w3 & um3x) which might be even more interesting, no?
somehow it looks to me like you're looking for reasons not to spend the money on these babies. resistance is futile! (sorry 'bout yer wallet...) 
eek.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back