Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Feb 15, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #766 of 5,568

I've been thinking about this and I may not be right but I think Westone has a house sound. The W2 and W3 have similarities and the W3 and UM3X even more so. I haven't heard the W4 yet, but I think I've got a pretty good idea of what they will sound like, by taking the descriptions here and applying the "Westone" feel. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to pick out a Westone earphone, if a blind test were possible. Maybe I'm crazy though. I wonder if its possible (or even good) for a manufacturer not to have a house sound. From my experience, Sennheiser, Shure, and Etymotic do.

Quote:
I don't know, the fact that a company made some products that you like doesn't guarantee anything more than sonic preferences imo. Sonic preferences are everything, brand names are of the last things I look at unless the build/quality control will require good customer service. From what I'm reading they all sound very different and Westone doesn't seem to have a house sound. Having said that I think it's healthier to stick to universals for now since you're so satsified.  

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #767 of 5,568
It will have to a blind test to fully know, placebo will conquer if you simply try to compare. Ety and Sennheiser do seem to have a "house" sound to some extent, not shure about Shure lol. 

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #770 of 5,568

Quote:
I'm sending my Shure SE535's back to EarphoneSolutions and have a set of Westone 4's on the way. Sigh. Hope I have better luck with the W4's. 

Didn't you deep down know you were going to anyways, if even if you were blown away by them? :)
If nothing else, its not an expensive way to try two of the top iems!

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #771 of 5,568

Quote:
Didn't you deep down know you were going to anyways, if even if you were blown away by them? :)
If nothing else, its not an expensive way to try two of the top iems!

lol. I will neither confirm or deny your statement.

And we can't quite say I got to try two IEM's, because I'm pretty sure my Shure SE535's were defective. So it's more like I only got to try 1.5 IEM's.

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #772 of 5,568

Too bad about the Shure's being defective for you. On some genres, I'm underwhelmed by them. But on acoustic-folk-rock kind of stuff, I am really impressed. Definitely the best I've heard for those genres. I'm really impressed by the build, too. But I listen to a lot of classical and from everything I've read, the W4 will win out in that category and that's where I've seen the SE535 most under-perform. Although some albums have been more impressive than I've ever heard on the SE535, they're not quite the all rounder I was hoping for. Can't wait for the W4. If they're as good as people say, my SE535 will be up for sale, and only a week old... Wish I could keep them both!

Quote:
lol. I will neither confirm or deny your statement.

And we can't quite say I got to try two IEM's, because I'm pretty sure my Shure SE535's were defective. So it's more like I only got to try 1.5 IEM's.

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #773 of 5,568
lol. Just keep them both. :D

The SE535's really are very comfortable though, and I didn't seem to have the issues with the cable moving like some others have reported. =/

I was going to ask for a replacement set of Shures, but if I did that, then I would cross the 30 day mark, and I wouldn't be able to upgrade to W4's if I wanted, so I figure I might as well just do it.

Quote:
Too bad about the Shure's being defective for you. On some genres, I'm underwhelmed by them. But on acoustic-folk-rock kind of stuff, I am really impressed. Definitely the best I've heard for those genres. I'm really impressed by the build, too. But I listen to a lot of classical and from everything I've read, the W4 will win out in that category and that's where I've seen the SE535 most under-perform. Although some albums have been more impressive than I've ever heard on the SE535, they're not quite the all rounder I was hoping for. Can't wait for the W4. If they're as good as people say, my SE535 will be up for sale, and only a week old... Wish I could keep them both!

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #774 of 5,568

Quote:
I don't know, the fact that a company made some products that you like doesn't guarantee anything more than sonic preferences imo. Sonic preferences are everything, brand names are of the last things I look at unless the build/quality control will require good customer service. From what I'm reading they all sound very different and Westone doesn't seem to have a house sound. Having said that I think it's healthier to stick to universals for now since you're so satsified.  

Agreed and agreed.. The W4 stands out from the W3 and the W3 stands out from the W2.  In a blind listening session, I'm not sure I'd be able to place them all in the same family, especially if I never heard them before.  That said, I do like what I read about the ES5, the JH16 and the 1964 Quads.  Needless to say, it'll be quite some time before I even think about venturing into the world of customs.  One wrong sonic preference move and you're out a boat load of cash.  So far, I'm quite content with the W4's.  They don't leave me wanting anything or looking to EQ to fill in any gaps.  I'll enjoy these for the summer. 

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #775 of 5,568

Quote:
Agreed and agreed.. The W4 stands out from the W3 and the W3 stands out from the W2.  In a blind listening session, I'm not sure I'd be able to place them all in the same family, especially if I never heard them before.  That said, I do like what I read about the ES5, the JH16 and the 1964 Quads.  Needless to say, it'll be quite some time before I even think about venturing into the world of customs.  One wrong sonic preference move and you're out a boat load of cash.  So far, I'm quite content with the W4's.  They don't leave me wanting anything or looking to EQ to fill in any gaps.  I'll enjoy these for the summer. 

To me, that is the most important thing about IEM's. The iPod doesn't exactly have the best EQ software, so it's important that the sound signature sounds good to my ears the first time around. Sure I can EQ on my computer, but if I'm listening from my computer, I'm most likely at home, and using my full sized cans.

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #776 of 5,568

Quote:

My wallet is starting to complain about this thread...

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #777 of 5,568
Pulled the trigger and ordered a pair from earphone solutions. I hope these are noticeably better than my old UM1. Never ordered headphones this expensive, so I have no idea what to expect.

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #779 of 5,568

Quote:
Pulled the trigger and ordered a pair from earphone solutions. I hope these are noticeably better than my old UM1. Never ordered headphones this expensive, so I have no idea what to expect.

Good, clear your mind of any preconceived thoughts and just enjoy them.  And If you're really going straight from the UM1 to the W4, I can't wait to hear your impressions..  Once you pick your jaw up off the floor.. :)    

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #780 of 5,568
I was close but at this price range I will also consider the Sony EX1000 and I like my mid-highs laid back (like the SM3) so I really can't make a comforting decision at the moment. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back