Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 15, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #406 of 5,568

Quote:
Nonetheless Victor is getting started now on his comparison of W3 vs W4 vs UM3X vs SE535. 

popcorn.gif

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #407 of 5,568

One of the things I didn't like about the UM3X is the treble extension is too dull for me, and if the W4 is not as bright, this might be a warning sign. I think Spyro may be right that the W4 is Westone modding their iem to sound like Shure SE 535 , imo. If one wanted less bass quantity, less treble quantity, a fuller more forward mids, from the W3, why don't one simply picks up the SE 535. This way the cable is removable providing an opportunity for cable upgrade to improve SQ. ( if you believe in that kind of things of course ). This really means that not more drivers are always better and just because something is new it doesn't mean is an improvement.

Don't confuse treble extension with treble energy. The W4 is extended, but not bright or rolled off. So far we don't have enough comparisons to nail down a sound signature on these. FlavioT is right, it's hard to put these descriptions into words.

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #408 of 5,568

Quote:
I know that.

Also, in regards to the discussion about amped or not - I've been listening to Diana Krall tonight, "Live in Paris" and I switched from my iPhone 4 headphone out to my Macbook > HDP > SR-71b amp about 2/3 of the way through the album.  I had to go back to listen again to some of my favorite songs that I'd just heard a few minutes before; because the increase in clarity, micro-detail and space between the iPhone 4 and my laptop rig is pretty obvious.  It's clearly not an issue of whether the W4 need an amp or not, because they are still very efficient, but and issue of how much better a good DAC and amp can sound over the stock iPhone headphone jack.  The laptop rig steps it up a notch, and the W4 scale up very nicely as the gear improves.

I don't doubt that the difference with both a DAC and amp would be significant.  I'd be curious about your perception of the relative value of each of those components in the chain, though.  The initial discussion was focused on the benefit of adding just an amp, not both an amp and DAC.  My feeling has been that improved source quality is more significant than that of improved amping when talking about portable gear. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #409 of 5,568

I don't doubt that the difference with both a DAC and amp would be significant.  I'd be curious about your perception of the relative value of each of those components in the chain, though.  The initial discussion was focused on the benefit of adding just an amp, not both an amp and DAC.  My feeling has been that improved source quality is more significant than that of improved amping when talking about portable gear. 

When I have compared the iPhone 4 un-amped and amped the biggest difference was in soundstage size and bass extension. A better source does make a bigger difference, but the external amp does bypass the iPhone 4's internal amp and bring improvements as well.

The problem is, in the case of a DAP, how do you improve the source but not the amp? If you change to a better DAP via headphone jack, like HM-801, then you've changed both the source and amp. When I compared the iPhone 4 line out to the 801 line out, both feeding the same external amp, the 801 was better as well.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #410 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:
I think Spyro may be right that the W4 is Westone modding their iem to sound like Shure SE 535 , imo.

Okay, I'm guessing Spyro and yourself might be fans of the Shure SE535. I seriously doubt that a company like Westone sets out to copy the sound signature of one of their rivals offerings.

I'm shure the SE535 are a great pair of IEMs but I think Westone know a thing or two about producing great IEMs themselves.

I'm quite aware that Westone know a thing or two about designing iem, I own a pair of UM2 myself. Without a chance of hearing the W4 and based on the description of others who have, they sound like the description of the SE 535. As a matter of fact I'm not a fan of the SE 535, but they did come out before the W4. The SE 535 is a refinement or evolutionary design from the SE 530 not revolutionary and looks like Westone adapted the same design strategy with the W4 from the W3. FYI, I'm not a fanboy of anything, I'm only interested in getting the best bang for the buck, a Ronin of Head Fi . Just my 2 cents worth.

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #411 of 5,568
I definitely hope the W4s do not sound like the SE535 (which I have at the moment). Like I said earlier, I don't like them too much and much prefer the sound of the UM3X over them. Nevertheless, I've already placed the order so I'm crossing my fingers.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think Spyro may be right that the W4 is Westone modding their iem to sound like Shure SE 535 , imo.

Okay, I'm guessing Spyro and yourself might be fans of the Shure SE535. I seriously doubt that a company like Westone sets out to copy the sound signature of one of their rivals offerings.

I'm shure the SE535 are a great pair of IEMs but I think Westone know a thing or two about producing great IEMs themselves.

I'm quite aware that Westone know a thing or two about designing iem, I own a pair of UM2 myself. Without a chance of hearing the W4 and based on the description of others who have, they sound like the description of the SE 535. As a matter of fact I'm not a fan of the SE 535, but they did come out before the W4. The SE 535 is a refinement or evolutionary design from the SE 530 not revolutionary and looks like Westone adapted the same design strategy with the W4 from the W3. FYI, I'm not a fanboy of anything, I'm only interested in getting the best bang for the buck, a Ronin of Head Fi . Just my 2 cents worth.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #412 of 5,568
how is warranty on those?
I don't get it why westone isn't able to sell them with a removable cable just like they did with the UM3X RC.
the cable looks fairly thin to me.. so i'm a bit worried.
shure build quality + westone SQ = awesome

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #413 of 5,568

Quote:
I don't get it why westone isn't able to sell them with a removable cable just like they did with the UM3X RC.

Maybe they intend to release a UM4 edition like they did with all their previous models.

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #414 of 5,568
I think the Shure build quality is pretty poor when it comes to housing (comfort issues) and their cables which tend to split. This is a known problem.

Westone have thin but they way they are braided means they are durable, very comfortable and easy to manipulate. The housing on Westone universal IEM's is also a great fit.

...but what do I know?

gs1000.gif

Quote:

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #415 of 5,568

Quote:
I think the Shure build quality is pretty poor when it comes to housing (comfort issues) and their cables which tend to split. This is a known problem.

Westone have thin but they way they are braided means they are durable, very comfortable and easy to manipulate. The housing on Westone universal IEM's is also a great fit.

...but what do I know?

gs1000.gif

Quote:

don't know about comfort, but the westones just have an overall cheaper look to them. looks like cheap plastic housing which will brake after you drop it twice. and if you accidently get caught on something with the cable you got a big problem. i might be completely wrong but that was my first impression when i saw them on the picture.
haven't had a chance to see either of those in person.
just saying that with an IEM at this pricepoint it should've been a must-have feature. don't know about you guys but I'm not the guy who buys every single IEM that's new on the market and if i purchase something that expensive i want to at least be able to use it for a couple years without problems.

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #416 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:

...but what do I know?

gs1000.gif

Quote:

don't know about comfort, but the westones just have an overall cheaper look to them. looks like cheap plastic housing which will brake after you drop it twice. and if you accidently get caught on something with the cable you got a big problem. i might be completely wrong but that was my first impression when i saw them on the picture.
haven't had a chance to see either of those in person.
just saying that with an IEM at this pricepoint it should've been a must-have feature. don't know about you guys but I'm not the guy who buys every single IEM that's new on the market and if i purchase something that expensive i want to at least be able to use it for a couple years without problems.

the cable is much stronger than it looks, the housing's made of plastic but it's also very lightweight (as well as comfortable) so dropping it wouldn't cause it to crack or anything like that, also, the nozzle itself is very durable, come to think of it, I sat on mine while they were in the back of my jeans once or twice

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #417 of 5,568
i did some googling and people didn't seem to have any major problems with the build quality so far.
but like i said.. if you suddenly get caught on something and the cable brakes you're screwed. =/
how is the customer service of westone? will they sent you a replacement like shure does?

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #418 of 5,568

Quote:
i did some googling and people didn't seem to have any major problems with the build quality so far.
but like i said.. if you suddenly get caught on something and the cable brakes you're screwed. =/
how is the customer service of westone? will they sent you a replacement like shure does?

from stories I have heard of shure's customer service and dealing with westone's, I'll say they're worlds better than shure...currently, my phones (westone3's) are in there hands because the cabling would occasionally debraid near the earpieces. they told me to send it in even though i told them I didn't have the receipt and I received it from someone else

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #419 of 5,568

Quote:
The more I read...the more they sound like a clone of SE535 with a little more bass. Not saying Westone copied Shure....more that that's what they ended up with.

God I hope not.. and from what Larry has described, it doesn't sound like the 535 to me.. If the W4's sound even remotely close to the 535's, they'll be returned the next day.

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #420 of 5,568
Just gave a good 1 hour listening to UM3X, W4 and SE535.

W4 is completely different than SE535.

UM3X is warmer than both W4 and SE535.

W4 has extended highs in comparison to UM3X.

Still cannot make up my mind to which is the best overall. It will take days of listening to different styles of music.

So far, it seems, I will follow the same rule of thumb between W4 and UM3X as I do for W3 (did not A/B W4 and W3 yet) and UM3X:

Up to 1 hour of listening, I prefer the W3. Longer listening hours, UM3X. Because personally, I'm over sensitive to treble and get fatigued quicker with earphones that have that extra high. That's why I never liked my TF10. But most of our staff didn't like them either. 5PRO was rated higher than TF10 by everyone because the TF10 were too piercing with the songs tested. I'm drifting here. Sorry...

Again, this is personal. Every person has a different hearing curve. As a general rule, the older you get the more high frequency is lost. Maybe when I'm older I may enjoy my TF10 more, if they are still around. Or I.

One thing I can say without a doubt, these new W4 sound amazing. I will use the W3 as baseline next and give a quick feedback when I'm done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back