Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 2, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #5,116 of 5,568
I just purchased the 4R's and the sound really is exquisite. I'm coming from the Ety ER-4S and the difference to me is night and day. The question I have is, while the tips that come with the 4R are fine, which tips would you guys suggest as being the best for the 4R that provide the fullest sound? Thanks in advance.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #5,117 of 5,568
I just purchased the 4R's and the sound really is exquisite. I'm coming from the Ety ER-4S and the difference to me is night and day. The question I have is, while the tips that come with the 4R are fine, which tips would you guys suggest as being the best for the 4R that provide the fullest sound? Thanks in advance.

Yes. I agree with you, I came from UE700 and the difference is very significant.

My tip that I love to at the moment is Orange STAR tip (the longest) stem.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #5,118 of 5,568

Yes. I agree with you, I came from UE700 and the difference is very significant.

Thanks John. What is your opinion on the difference between the orange Star tips and the stock tips that it comes with? Do you have a link to purchase these star tips? Thanks for the help.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #5,119 of 5,568
Thanks John. What is your opinion on the difference between the orange Star tips and the stock tips that it comes with? Do you have a link to purchase these star tips? Thanks for the help.

All new Westone products should come with star tips, if yours isn't a new batch I'm sure if you email westone can arrange something. I bought my star tips from a seller in Canada on eBay. the star tips are physically a little more rigid than the normal grey rubber tips. The bore size is a little wider and it doesn't dampen the highs as much as the original tips. Hence why people like them better. The actual tips come in 5 different sizes to suit different size ear canals

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #5,120 of 5,568

I have also found the orange star tip the best. I get a better seal with it. They are the largest star tips. I also like Comply P series, but it changes the sound. It depends on my circumstances. I have posted here a few times touting the star tips.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #5,121 of 5,568
I have a problem! I can't remove the tips! Im afraid that Ill break it! t seems to hard! Any ideas?

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #5,122 of 5,568
  I have a problem! I can't remove the tips! Im afraid that Ill break it! t seems to hard! Any ideas?

If you're using the foam ones, I personally find that you gotta find that you have to apply the right kind of force so that you're pushing on the middle part and not just the foam. Make sure part of your finger is pushing on the center part, I guess.

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #5,125 of 5,568

Put the headphones in a ziploc bag and put them in the freezer for ten minutes. They should be easy to take off. 

Seriously. :)

Not the first time I've heard this. Could be a great solution.

My ONLY concern would be any condensation that might form internally when they come out of the cold (like anything else).
If the 10 min. is not enough to cause this, then I can't imagine why it shouldn't be done.

And yes, otherwise getting Comply's on and off is a bear...

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #5,126 of 5,568

First off...I want your honest opinion on the merits of W4R over ER4S.  I could tell you mine but tell me how you like the change from  Etys to W4R?

(Especially coming from Etys)  W4R is very smooth a bit soft sounding.  This makes ANY KIND OF FOAM tip to make this condition even worse making the whole presentation too warm soft and smooth.

STAR TIPS is the way to go, no question.   If your fit is right, Westone has patented these tips so well with striations on the inner portion to accommodate fit so well that these silicone tips can produce equal bass as foam which is amazing.   So play around with the star tips.  Don't be afraid to use different sized tips in each ear if that's what it calls for.  The main objective is balance and full bass.

P.S.   I WANT to hear the ER4S.....W4R comparison  AFTER you find the right fit.    Thanks.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #5,127 of 5,568
Got the w4 for 300 bucks, which is a really good price, received only star tips though not comply, I found the phonak pfe tips suit me best, I tried shure olives and silicon (grey flex), star tips, and the phonak is the best

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #5,128 of 5,568
First off...I want your honest opinion on the merits of W4R over ER4S.  I could tell you mine but tell me how you like the change from  Etys to W4R?

(Especially coming from Etys)  W4R is very smooth a bit soft sounding.  This makes ANY KIND OF FOAM tip to make this condition even worse making the whole presentation too warm soft and smooth.

STAR TIPS is the way to go, no question.   If your fit is right, Westone has patented these tips so well with striations on the inner portion to accommodate fit so well that these silicone tips can produce equal bass as foam which is amazing.   So play around with the star tips.  Don't be afraid to use different sized tips in each ear if that's what it calls for.  The main objective is balance and full bass.

P.S.   I WANT to hear the ER4S.....W4R comparison  AFTER you find the right fit.    Thanks.

I too will give you my impression I just got some er4s, eager to hear what all the fuss is about and how they stack up to the er4s esp because i feel both the er4s and w4r are more of a reference in ear monitor so at that aspect I wonder which is better.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #5,129 of 5,568
I found the etys to be much brighter and source depended! The bass on the etys somehow is the most accurate one which is tighter and heavier than the w4 (not much though) the treble is too bright for me so I gave it to my friend who listens to mostly aucostics and he likes it alot

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #5,130 of 5,568

really? I find the p series great for my ears.. I don't like the star tips really.. I don't mind the black silicone ones but it's hard to keep them in my ears with them being Realy short.. I also tried.. I'm not sure what series they would be. .But the old short grey complys that came with Westone products before.. As I have about four different Westone iems so I have tons of tips.. And believe me I've tried everyone with the w4r.. I myself find the p series the best.. Comfort.. Sound.. And the isolation is about the same to.. Again just my opinion but I find any other star tip.. The silicone ones.. Just to edgy or treblly.. Sorry I'm not the greatest at describing stuff lol I also heard that they fair very well with shorter tips.. That's probably why they sound good with the short grey complys I just described.. :) happy listening..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back