Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Dec 14, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #61 of 5,568

[size=medium]

Quote:
Still not clear on the difference of the sound between the W3 and UM3x? Can someone sum that up for me right quick?

​
[/size]

Go to this page:

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/westone-um3x.html

Click on the REVIEWS tab and search for a review titled:

W3 Versus UM3x: Both Excellent, But Different Types Of Sound

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #62 of 5,568

WOOHOO!!!  Flavio do you think the press release is a result of the slip with the picture??  I wonder if Westone had planned to make this announcement at the CES.  Maybe that's why the "Uh Oh!!" twitter post came out.. LOL    Either way, add me to the pre-order list.

Quote:
It's official!

Just received official Press Release from Westone via email:

[size=x-small]"Westone Music Products is pleased to announce the release of the Westone 4 True-Fit Earphone.[/size][size=x-small][size=11pt] [size=x-small]The new pinnacle of the Westone Series, the 4 features four [/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=11pt][size=x-small]balanced armature drivers with a three-way crossover network for breathtaking clarity and realism[/size][/size][size=x-small][size=11pt]. T[size=x-small]he Westone 4 is the clear choice for the serious audiophile and music enthusiast.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

[size=x-small]The Westone 4 will be revealed at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on January 6[/size][size=x-small], with product shipping early in the first quarter of 2011[/size][size=x-small]."[/size]

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #63 of 5,568
Sick! A four driver universal. It just keeps getting better. Not that I can spend $450 right now, but there are such things as trickle down technology and deals... 

I am going to be waiting for a comparo with this and the new X-Jays quad. Just when the "experts" told us they couldn't fit more than three armatures in a shell. They just did that so we will be super excited for these!
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #64 of 5,568
[size=10pt]It says Q1 of 2011. Looks indeed promising. I still like they added replaceable cables for such expensive thing to begin with. On the other side, I hear good things about their cables.

Jays should hurry up if they want to be first and now we on it, so need Ultimate Ears as well.
[/size]

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #65 of 5,568

Quote:
[size=10pt]It says Q1 of 2011. Looks indeed promising. I still like they added replaceable cables for such expensive thing to begin with. On the other side, I hear good things about their cables.

Jays should hurry up if they want to be first and now we on it, so need Ultimate Ears as well.
[/size]

I am also looking forward to the JH audio dynamic/BA universal and the UM universal.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #66 of 5,568

Quote:
WOOHOO!!!  Flavio do you think the press release is a result of the slip with the picture??  I wonder if Westone had planned to make this announcement at the CES.  Maybe that's why the "Uh Oh!!" twitter post came out.. LOL    Either way, add me to the pre-order list.

Quote:
It's official!

Just received official Press Release from Westone via email:

[size=x-small]"Westone Music Products is pleased to announce the release of the Westone 4 True-Fit Earphone.[/size][size=x-small][size=11pt] [size=x-small]The new pinnacle of the Westone Series, the 4 features four [/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=11pt][size=x-small]balanced armature drivers with a three-way crossover network for breathtaking clarity and realism[/size][/size][size=x-small][size=11pt]. T[size=x-small]he Westone 4 is the clear choice for the serious audiophile and music enthusiast.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

[size=x-small]The Westone 4 will be revealed at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on January 6[/size][size=x-small], with product shipping early in the first quarter of 2011[/size][size=x-small]."[/size]

Hey Joey,

It could be... They might have planned to originally launch it during the CES 2011 in January but may, over the weekend, decided to go official today after the leak :)

We may open pre-orders sometime between December 26 and January 1st. Not sure yet. Pre-orders can be very labor intensive to manage.

Did you place an order for SOLO White? I thought I saw your name on the order processing queue.

Here is a better picture by the way. From this image I would say the earpiece casing is the same as the Westone 3.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #68 of 5,568
I'm going go "ghetto" on this one...red paint, westone 3...viola! westone 4!

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #69 of 5,568
Why would Westone want to add another bass driver to one of the bassiest IEM's out there (W3)?  One that many shy away from because, well...it has too much bass?  I don't get it?

Could the W4 end up truly being the fun IEM mainly for rap and hip hop while W3 remains the audiophile IEM? 

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #70 of 5,568

Quote:
Why would Westone want to add another bass driver to one of the bassiest IEM's out there (W3)?  One that many shy away from because, well...it has too much bass?  I don't get it?

Could the W4 end up truly being the fun IEM mainly for rap and hip hop while W3 remains the audiophile IEM? 

I think that would depend on how the tune the BA's, though I'm not sure what an additional driver actually does

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #73 of 5,568
from what I read, it seems like one for the highs, one for the mids and two for the bass

Quote:
could it be better to add one more driver on Mid range? From what I heard, W3 needs a mid range driver to become one step closer to perfection since W3 bass is pretty overwhelmed already

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #74 of 5,568
More bass drivers doesn't necessarily mean more bass, like the JH 16 or the UE 18 Pro, they are there to give more sound level without distortion.
From the picture above, doesn't look like the W4s have replaceable cable. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back