Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Mar 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #3,946 of 5,568
Quote:
I'm not getting this stuff about the resistor and the Phonak sleeves. Too unsophisticated. First, I can't find "stock sleeves", tried the Phonak site, Amazon, Google searching...I see wax guards, but I don't think this is what people have in mind. Second, I can't picture how one puts the resistor in the headphone. Third, where does one get a 10 ohm resistor to place, anyway.

That's when you know the mod is not for you.
wink.gif

http://www.soundearphones.com/products/phonak-audeo-replacment-silicone-ear-tips
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290372905689

(Be aware that using a 100 ohm resistor will noticeably attenuate the max volume you get from your DAP)

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #3,947 of 5,568
Quote:
Who has both w4 and um3x?? I'd like to hear your comparison. I do dig the w4 but I think I prefer um3x because  w4s high end sounds muffled to me at times. Any impression would be appreciated. Thanks

The presentation between the two are very different to me. I did quite a bit of listening to the UM3X before settling on the W4s. The UM3X has more impact and sound more exciting and you are more in the middle of the music, so if I was only listening to rock music these would be very first on my list. The build quality on the UM3X also looks superior to me compared to the W4s. The clarity on the W4 is better in my view and they offered a more balanced presentation with a touch of warmth and much improved sound stage and exceptional detail extraction which I really like with my music genres. If the highs sound muffled on the W4s, try experimenting with other tips as especially the Comply tips seem to muffle the highs for me. I still prefer the triple flanges on the W4s due to the better highs and tighter bass. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #3,948 of 5,568
Quote:
Who has both w4 and um3x?? I'd like to hear your comparison. I do dig the w4 but I think I prefer um3x because  w4s high end sounds muffled to me at times. Any impression would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm not sure exactly why you think the highs on the W4 is muffled compared to the UM3X, if anything it's the opposite way round. I will almost always reach for the W4 instead of the UM3X in all buy some circumstances when i really wish to feel the voice instead of the music as a whole. The W4 is much more tip dependent in getting the highs to open up, anything with a wide bore should allow the highs to come through better.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #3,950 of 5,568
Thank you for your impression. Much appreciated. I do wish the um3x plug was the same size as the w4. I was hoping that the um3x rc with the removable cable would have a smaller plug(the plastic connector part) but someone commented that they are the same. Can anyone else confirm this? I was sort of relieved though too cause I didn't want to have to trade for another pair. 
   So I also only use the triple flange ear tips withy Weston's. I think they are superior to any other tips I have tried from any other brands.  A lot of my downloaded music is older and not amazing quality which makes the muffled high end I rederred too as more noticeable. I have also owned a few airs of w3 and thought that they're highs were sibilant at times. 
    Anyone compared the w3 to the w4?? I did not get to a/b the too. After using the w4 my thoughts were that Weston's must have heard so many complaints about the sibilant high end of the w3 that the tones down the high end on the w4  that was just my initial thought about it.  Later this week I am going to do some direct comparisons between the w4 and the um3x. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #3,951 of 5,568
Can someone help me? I'm afraid the right earpiece of my W4R has gone quiet. It still plays, but it's super quiet compared to the left side. All I did was change the tip and when I tried to listen to it again it was quiet. I tried changing cables and everything. At first I thought some water might have gotten into the bore since I washed the tips, but no such luck. Anyone help?

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #3,953 of 5,568
Quote:
Can someone help me? I'm afraid the right earpiece of my W4R has gone quiet. It still plays, but it's super quiet compared to the left side. All I did was change the tip and when I tried to listen to it again it was quiet. I tried changing cables and everything. At first I thought some water might have gotten into the bore since I washed the tips, but no such luck. Anyone help?

W4s driver failing is a Popular secret which no one really complains about.. least i thought 4r do not have this issue... sad to say but they are dying.. i had the same experience for more than 2 Pairs.. From that day on wards i told my self  "not to buy westone ever again " just a personal matter here... hope u might be able to exchange it since u might have warranty....   ( i think these driver fails occur due to different body temperatures.. )  i live in Asia so i have a good reason here....  

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #3,954 of 5,568
Quote:

I have got similar problem, where my W4R's right side sounds significantly quiet than the left side. I thought that the right side is somehow dead and was quite disappointed. Later, I found that it is because after I washed the tips, there was some water left inside the tube of the right tip (I used triple flange tips at that time), and after the water was gone, the right side went normal again.

Anyway, if no luck after changing everything, you might want to contact Westone for help.

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #3,955 of 5,568
Quote:
I have got similar problem, where my W4R's right side sounds significantly quiet than the left side. I thought that the right side is somehow dead and was quite disappointed. Later, I found that it is because after I washed the tips, there was some water left inside the tube of the right tip (I used triple flange tips at that time), and after the water was gone, the right side went normal again.

Anyway, if no luck after changing everything, you might want to contact Westone for help.

I think that is exactly what happened to mine. I stuck them in a little bag full of rice overnight and I just tried them again this morning, it's working fine now. I really wish I did some more research before I bought these. I love they way they sound, but none of my previous IEMs were as sensitive to moisture as Westones. Needless to say I am a bit dissapointed, but ultimately relieved that they are still working.

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #3,956 of 5,568
I'm guessing a drop of water / moisture seep onto the filter causing it to clog up. When I wash my tips I blow air through the stem then dry with them a towel allowing them to dry for 10 minutes before replacing them on the earphone. It's actually a little ritual. I don't think water goes past the filter though, that cause some major problem.

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #3,957 of 5,568
so im liking the overall sound signature of the w4r except for too much bass slam for me with not enough extension. Hard on my ears. Just wondering if thye baldur cable fixes that by pushing up the mids to balance it or maybe i would be better looking at the shure 535?

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #3,959 of 5,568
Quote:
so im liking the overall sound signature of the w4r except for too much bass slam for me with not enough extension. Hard on my ears. Just wondering if thye baldur cable fixes that by pushing up the mids to balance it or maybe i would be better looking at the shure 535?

No, the SE535 has even more bass than W4.   UE900 would have been the perfect choice.

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #3,960 of 5,568

Users who are viewing this thread

Back