Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #2,506 of 5,568
I'm getting my W4s back after almost 3 weeks of waiting. I went ahead to get them reshelled and paired with Moon Audio's Silver Dragon cables with Oyaide plug.

Really excited to see how it turns out!

Anyway, I'm here not to ask you guys about the W4, but rather a DAC that would go with the W4. 
I'm currently using an Alo Rx Mk II as my amp and was wondering if any cheap (~$50) DAC would fit the SS of my rig. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #2,507 of 5,568

Quote:

I have a somewhat related theory to explain that oddity: the W4's nozzle is extremely short, so the sound waves have to travel through part of the tip's inner tube. The tubes in olives and Complys are made of hard and stiff material and don't absorb much energy. The tubes in silicons are much softer and may have a dampening effect as the sound waves travel through. That may be the reason why foam tips sound clearer than silicons on the W4.

Interesting insights, thanks James.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #2,508 of 5,568

Quote:
I'm getting my W4s back after almost 3 weeks of waiting. I went ahead to get them reshelled and paired with Moon Audio's Silver Dragon cables with Oyaide plug.

Really excited to see how it turns out!

Anyway, I'm here not to ask you guys about the W4, but rather a DAC that would go with the W4. 
I'm currently using an Alo Rx Mk II as my amp and was wondering if any cheap (~$50) DAC would fit the SS of my rig. 

Where did you get them re-shelled?  The reason I ask is I just received UM56's -- the sound is significantly improved with these but I have encountered the same problem that others have mentioned with the tips fitting quite loose on the nozzle.  Rather than pop of ES5's right now, re-shelling might be an option.  Thanks in advance.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #2,509 of 5,568

Quote:
Where did you get them re-shelled?  The reason I ask is I just received UM56's -- the sound is significantly improved with these but I have encountered the same problem that others have mentioned with the tips fitting quite loose on the nozzle.  Rather than pop of ES5's right now, re-shelling might be an option.  Thanks in advance.

I did it with Stage 93. It's a local company based in Singapore, but I think they do accept customers from other countries.
http://stage93.com/                  

H
ere's the official website if you're interested. :)
They have excellent service and fantastic turnaround (at about a month, much faster than UM's). Judging from the pictures they have on FB, the craftsmanship seems to be good, no scratches, no bubbles, but I will see for myself when I get them back in a few days.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #2,510 of 5,568

Quote:
I did it with Stage 93. It's a local company based in Singapore, but I think they do accept customers from other countries.
http://stage93.com/                  

H
ere's the official website if you're interested. :)
They have excellent service and fantastic turnaround (at about a month, much faster than UM's). Judging from the pictures they have on FB, the craftsmanship seems to be good, no scratches, no bubbles, but I will see for myself when I get them back in a few days.

Thank you -- I'll look forward to reading more when yours come in.  

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #2,511 of 5,568
Anyone else listening the Hisound Studio-V and Westone 4 combo?

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #2,514 of 5,568
Can anyone help me on this question. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/589264/owners-of-westone-4r-do-you-where-them-like-this-help-strange#

I was wanting to know how you placed your on your head as this is my first set of iem with memory wire. 

Also has anyone tried the comply T medium and TX and TS fittings and how did you find them 

Thanks 

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #2,515 of 5,568

Quote:
Can anyone help me on this question. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/589264/owners-of-westone-4r-do-you-where-them-like-this-help-strange#

I was wanting to know how you placed your on your head as this is my first set of iem with memory wire. 

Also has anyone tried the comply T medium and TX and TS fittings and how did you find them 

Thanks 

It has to be over the ear, no? That's how the W4 was designed to be worn.

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #2,517 of 5,568
What size comply tips do you get with the westone 4r ? It looks like you get 2 p versions a small and large or I am not to sure if it's medium and the third is this a small or medium T version 

How can you tell which version or size they are

Cheers

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #2,518 of 5,568
Quote:
Interesting. What BA IEM is best suited to captivating it's audience through its conveyance of emotion, then?

In my book the Final Audios are excellent in conveying emotion, that's why I love them. The problem is, their cheaper ones, the FI-BA-A1 and SC (SB are colored and not recommended) are technically half a step below the W4, and their flagship, the FI-BA-SS is wickedly expensive. Apart from the FADs the SM3 come to mind. I ultimately failed to warm up to their overly rich mids and "surround" soundstaging, but they were very good at conveying emotion.

Edit: Almost forgot the PFE232. Highly recommended if emotion is high on your priority list. Sadly also quite expensive.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #2,519 of 5,568
In follow-up, I'm so very glad I gave the W4 a second chance. I love the Comply tips on them. No lack of high end. I even like them better than the EarPortz. Comply is more comfortable, isolates better, and sounds best. 

Just the massive sound stage improvement over the W3 is worth the extra money in my opinion. Plus, you just get better quality everything. Sure, the W3 mid-bass punches harder, but it lacks the extension on both ends the W4 has. With tiny bits of EQ, the W4 low end demolished the W3 in every way: Quality, quantity, and impact. As a basshead, I am totally satisfied. Unlike the W3, the 4's highs are never fatiguing, and extend much higher providing a sparkle the W3 does not have. 

Quote:
What size comply tips do you get with the westone 4r ? It looks like you get 2 p versions a small and large or I am not to sure if it's medium and the third is this a small or medium T version 

How can you tell which version or size they are

Cheers

From what I understand they are the S,M,L T-100 originals. I just ordered 5 of the large T-100's, so if that's not right, I'll be able to tell you this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back