Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Sep 20, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #2,206 of 5,568
I'm actually using my W4 today with the Earportz on them. No tips I've own that fit the Westone gives me as deep of a seal that is comfortable too. The XL Westone oval silicone comes a very close to tying those. The Earporz also give the best isolation. As a result, these are the best (for my ears) in giving the W4 maximum bass with eqing, clarity and instrument separation. These are wonderful. By the way, I am using the XL, so I think they are the largest. I also use the Shure large olives.

Quote:
Be interested to hear some feedback from the Earportz owners and their W4's........

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #2,208 of 5,568

Quote:
How's the midrange on the w4 with the ear portz tips Eric ? , i have not tried them on my w4 yet but on the denon and tfta the ear portz tend to darken the midrange a little .

Seems fine to me @ luco. I haven't really noticed a change in the mids in any way. I definitely wouldn't say it darkens the mids.

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #2,209 of 5,568
Eric,

I have 4 pairs of the large still due to no return (hygiene). Did you say you had XL? If you want 4 pairs of large, which to me are not even close to going in, let me know.

I find it weird that considering I use the largest W4 silicone these things don`t want to know. Maybe worth trimming the stem to make them more stable whilst pushing in?

Anyways, let me know mate.

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #2,210 of 5,568

Hello Sinth, thanks for the offer but I have four pair already (have only opened one). These are also great on the SM2 (really deepens the bass on the SM2). Curious though, does yours have one L or XL engraved into the tip?  Because if you just have a "L" it might be too small for my ears anyway.
Quote:
Eric,

I have 4 pairs of the large still due to no return (hygiene). Did you say you had XL? If you want 4 pairs of large, which to me are not even close to going in, let me know.

I find it weird that considering I use the largest W4 silicone these things don`t want to know. Maybe worth trimming the stem to make them more stable whilst pushing in?

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #2,211 of 5,568

Cheers ericp10, thats nice to hear they're working out for you
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I'm actually using my W4 today with the Earportz on them. No tips I've own that fit the Westone gives me as deep of a seal that is comfortable too. The XL Westone oval silicone comes a very close to tying those. The Earporz also give the best isolation. As a result, these are the best (for my ears) in giving the W4 maximum bass with eqing, clarity and instrument separation. These are wonderful. By the way, I am using the XL, so I think they are the largest. I also use the Shure large olives.

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #2,212 of 5,568
Hi Sinth - you have a PM mate

Quote:
Eric,

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #2,213 of 5,568
In reply to both..

Eric, an L and a 3.

Dae0, replying now mate.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #2,214 of 5,568
Just received my Westone 4 and i'm seriously loving it so far. Sold my SM3s a while back and these are so so much more comfy than the competing product from Earsonics. Who told them it would be a good idea to mold an IEM with sharp edges anyway? 

Initial and brief comparisons to the SM3s, these have an instantly likeable sound signature, for me anyways. Didn't need so much head burn-in time as compared to the SM3s which i had to listen for a fair bit before growing to appreciate their sound signature. 

These will remain in my stable for a long while i think!

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #2,216 of 5,568
Just for the fun of it I ordered the Medium Earportz, because I wear medium tips for every IEM I have ever tried, and these feel like small tips and don't seal.  I'm kinda disappointed because they cost so much with shipping and now I need the large ones.  I'll need to contact the company and see if they can help me out.

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #2,217 of 5,568
I listened to the W4's a fair bit more tonight. Used higher volume and they became a bit more lively. I'm starting to come around to them, although since I'm a huge trance fan I don't know if I can keep them over the W3's. They really impressed me on certain tracks with their detail retrieval on a medium-higher volume.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #2,218 of 5,568
I have found the the deeper the tip can go (at a comfortable level of course) and the tighter the seal, the more the W4 shines. With the XL Earportz tips, I get a seal and deepness like I get with my custom 1964-Q. This seal and insert really brings out the bass, instrument separation, clarity and general sound space in the W4 for my ears. My conclusion is that the W4 is just as finicky about tips as the SM3, if not more so.

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #2,219 of 5,568
Have a quick query that i hope other more experienced W4 users can help me with.

What are the stock tips given in the package with the brand new W4s?

Specifically, i'm using the largest grey comply foam that has the black core. I understand they are the "P-Series" tips as can be found on the comply website here, my question however is, what size are these?

My confusion arises because although 3 comply foam tips are included in the package, only 2 are the "P-Series" tips, with the smallest grey ones being the T400s, as far as i can tell.

I'm almost ready to order more "P-Series" tips, all i need to know is, did Westone package the "M" and "L" or "S" and "M" P-series tips?

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #2,220 of 5,568
agreed. i've tried 50 bucks worth of different tips before finding out the correct insertion depth particular to my ear canal.

for me, insertion depth can't be too deep, because my right ear canal curves up more than my left ear canal, resulting in blunting of the P series tip (and obviously the sound, causing slight channel physiological imbalance) if i insert too deeply. the shure olives don't suffer from this because of their shallower insertion depth. 

both provide fantastic sound as long as i take care to insert them right.

the earportz largest size doesn't even fit me. 

Quote:
I have found the the deeper the tip can go (at a comfortable level of course) and the tighter the seal, the more the W4 shines. With the XL Earportz tips, I get a seal and deepness like I get with my custom 1964-Q. This seal and insert really brings out the bass, instrument separation, clarity and general sound space in the W4 for my ears. My conclusion is that the W4 is just as finicky about tips as the SM3, if not more so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back