Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Sep 24, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #2,221 of 5,568
I got the W4 lent yesterday and I've been listening with them ever since.

However, I can't get past the veil over the mids. Is that on purpose or how can it be explained. I don't notice anything alike with the SE535. The EX600 also has a slight veil, but not as prominent as with the W4.

Bass is technically impressive and definitely emphasized enough even for a basshead like me.

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #2,222 of 5,568

which tips are you using. if you are using the P series or any tip that compresses past the hard part of the tube upon mid depth insertion, your sounds are gonna be blunted and veiled. fit and depth of insertion is very important with the W4 because of the short stalk of the W4. make sure the opening isn't covered up by the foam or by the curvature of your ear canal.

Quote:
I got the W4 lent yesterday and I've been listening with them ever since.

However, I can't get past the veil over the mids. Is that on purpose or how can it be explained. I don't notice anything alike with the SE535. The EX600 also has a slight veil, but not as prominent as with the W4.

Bass is technically impressive and definitely emphasized enough even for a basshead like me.

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #2,223 of 5,568
Next to the forward mids of the SE535s, all other IEMs will sound slightly recessed. But I would say (owning both IEMs for quite sometime now) that the W4s are more evenly balanced between the two.

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #2,224 of 5,568
Definitely, though the SE535 mids can be addictive, the W4 is more balanced.

Glad to have the W4 back in my possession! They sound great at everything I throw at them.

Quote:
Next to the forward mids of the SE535s, all other IEMs will sound slightly recessed. But I would say (owning both IEMs for quite sometime now) that the W4s are more evenly balanced between the two.

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #2,225 of 5,568
I'm using DIY foams - they end with the nozzle, so there's absolutely no chance of altering the sound. I did that because I was missing highs. But as I perceive it now, the highs are definitely there just the output is much lower (10 kHz in, 7kHz out).

My FX700 has the mids recessed by 10db. Yet they are crystal clear, no hint of a curtain.

All in all, I like the W4. But I'm a dynamic type guy. I cannot appreciate the technical qualities as it kills the music. Too dry, too objective, too little soul. I'd love to have them, but I cannot justify the price tag. Moving on...

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #2,226 of 5,568
i'm finding the 1964 quads almost as detailed as the w4s, MAYBE the w4s are a teeny bit better for cymbal shimmer and bass detailling but i'm not too sure as I don't have a w4 on hand to AB to anymore.  the quads are otherwise a much more musical, warmish, enjoyable compared to the w4s that i had directly before them, and i find that i'm not missing any of the technical performance of the w4.  also, i found the w4s relatively thin, cold and analytical.

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #2,227 of 5,568
I have to re-adjust my opinion on these. What I first considered to be flaws, are now undoubtedly strengths.
The W4 are extremely unfatiguing and the best allrounders I ever heard. The veiled mids are there, but they're not annoying. Instead they help the high details to remain in the background.

I'm close to falling in love. Will get some TF10, UE4 and JH5 next week. Then I will know for sure.

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #2,228 of 5,568
Quote:
I have to re-adjust my opinion on these. What I first considered to be flaws, are now undoubtedly strengths.
The W4 are extremely unfatiguing and the best allrounders I ever heard. The veiled mids are there, but they're not annoying. Instead they help the high details to remain in the background.

I'm close to falling in love. Will get some TF10, UE4 and JH5 next week. Then I will know for sure.

That they undoubtedly are my friend. It depends what type of sound signature a listener is coming from and is accustomed to, but given a bit of time, one can't help but truly appreciate the W4 for its true strength(s), in it's wonderfully natural and neutral sound, fit for any genre. 
smile.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #2,229 of 5,568
Both of you have spoken truly. I've gotten more wow from other iems, just not as consistent wows across all genres...though, granted, the W4 wows are a little less wow. But for me I value its all-genre characteristic a ton.
Quote:
Quote:

That they undoubtedly are my friend. It depends what type of sound signature a listener is coming from and is accustomed to, but given a bit of time, one can't help but truly appreciate the W4 for its true strength(s), in it's wonderfully natural and neutral sound, fit for any genre. 
smile.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #2,230 of 5,568

Quote:
Both of you have spoken, truly. I've gotten more wow from other iems, just not as consistent wows across all genres...though, granted, the W4 wows are a little less wow. But for me I value its all-genre characteristic a ton.

That's what I'm trying to come to terms with. But since I'm big into trance and dubsteb, it's tough to choose them over the W3's. :xf_eek:

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #2,231 of 5,568
I ended up getting W4 instead of customs- I did some A/B with SM3 last night but today's my first day with the W4.

So far I'm liking it :) coming from SM3 the W4 doesn't really have a "wow" factor for me but it's tough to say which one I prefer...

I wont comment much on sound until after a week or two but it seems the SM3 are more lively and in your face while W4 more distant and more detailed.

W4 is more comfortable (vs sm3v1) and i think more isolating. I haven't been bothered with westone tips yet- I'm currently using biflange from earsonics (is there a difference between v1 and v2 tips?).

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #2,234 of 5,568
I completely agree with the sentiments of the W4's all-genre characteristic.

Just got the Earportz tester pack in the mail. These tips absolutely rule, I find them more comfortable than the triple flanges, with slightly better isolation, and better (less congested, mainly) sound quality. Thanks to those that commented on them in this thread, would never have known they existed otherwise!

Regarding the size issues, I'm glad I ordered the tester pack. I think I'll donate the small ones to my mom, and the XL ones will just have to kick around. I'm toying between the medium and the large tips, as mediums offer deeper insertion but the large ones seem to 'fill' my ear canal more tightly and therefore offer better isolation/subsequent detail retrieval. Will have to A/B extensively to get a good idea.

Any tips on inserting these? Should they be facing posteriorly on the stalk, or superiorly, or postero-superiorly? They are still a bit fiddly to get a seal with, but I'm sure I'll get used to them just like with the triple flanges.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #2,235 of 5,568
Just don't use them posthumously
basshead.gif

Hmm, I may have to get these Sensorcom tips. Too much good talk of them! Anyone have a CONUS link on hand? Or the best alternative? I've seen them floating around, but this thread gets around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back