Westone 4 Alternative?
Dec 26, 2012 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Xinze

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys

I bought a Westone 4 off another head-fier here a few months ago, and I've been generally happy with it. 

However, the sound has been getting, somewhat boring for me (I've heard lots of people comment on it's boring sound). It's too.. natural. 

So now, I'm looking for another pair of IEMS on the same level, budget of $300, +-100 if needed. I listen to mostly electronic/dance music, some modern pop/rap, classical, and a bit of rock, in decreasing order. The new set must be more comfortable or on the same level as the W4, I sold a pair of TF-10 because I just couldn't get them to fit. Can anyone suggest another set I can try that might be a little more fun to listen to?

What I have on mind: 

Shure SE535
Audio Technica CK-100Pro
Monster Turbine Pro Copper (Previously had, loved them but lost).
Etymotic ER4
Yamaha EPH-100
Sennheiser IE80
Westone 3

Which of these, and more would be worth a try?

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 13
I'd definitely recommend the W3 for EDM. Great soundstage and imaging, plenty of bass and treble. Mids aren't bad, but definitely more V shaped. I think they're perfect for it. Great bass impact. The W3 is like the W4's more exciting little brother. 535 and ER4 are not recommended for EDM.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 13
Hey Guys

I bought a Westone 4 off another head-fier here a few months ago, and I've been generally happy with it. 

However, the sound has been getting, somewhat boring for me (I've heard lots of people comment on it's boring sound). It's too.. natural. 

So now, I'm looking for another pair of IEMS on the same level, budget of $300, +-100 if needed. I listen to mostly electronic/dance music, some modern pop/rap, classical, and a bit of rock, in decreasing order. The new set must be more comfortable or on the same level as the W4, I sold a pair of TF-10 because I just couldn't get them to fit. Can anyone suggest another set I can try that might be a little more fun to listen to?

What I have on mind: 

Shure SE535
Audio Technica CK-100Pro
Monster Turbine Pro Copper (Previously had, loved them but lost).
Etymotic ER4
Yamaha EPH-100
Sennheiser IE80
Westone 3

Which of these, and more would be worth a try?
IE80=All Round Fighter Bass Mids Low High Sound Stage 4/5 Problem Isolation poor Shure SE535 Female Vocal Fighter Mids High Sound Stage 5/5 Problem Lows is terrible Isolation good Ya

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 13
Hahah, I'm almost in the exact same position. Recently bought the Westone 4R from a fellow member, and I can't say I'm too impressed with it. I just don't get into the music with it. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my venture into full sized cans over the past couple months (my similarly priced HE-400 destroys it) or I had too much expectation. I'm also coming from a TF10, and I think I finally understand why it's called a fun IEM. While it wasn't comfortable for long use, doing the flip mod on it gave me the best seal I've experienced yet. I miss it already
frown.gif

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
The CK100Pro is the exact opposite of the W4, sounding-wise.

What do you mean, opposite sounding? I suppose you mean a slight V curve instead of W4's slight n Curve?

Quote:
Hahah, I'm almost in the exact same position. Recently bought the Westone 4R from a fellow member, and I can't say I'm too impressed with it. I just don't get into the music with it. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my venture into full sized cans over the past couple months (my similarly priced HE-400 destroys it) or I had too much expectation. I'm also coming from a TF10, and I think I finally understand why it's called a fun IEM. While it wasn't comfortable for long use, doing the flip mod on it gave me the best seal I've experienced yet. I miss it already
frown.gif

I just bought the He-400 off of here a few days ago, waiting for it to arrive next week. Your comment just raised my expectations for that thing by a lot. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
I just bought the He-400 off of here a few days ago, waiting for it to arrive next week. Your comment just raised my expectations for that thing by a lot. 

I'm sure you'll like them...but don't blame me for anything.

But yeah, I stand by what I said. At home, I would choose the HE-400 over the Westones every time.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 13
Vocals are more upfront, treble much more boosted, less bass(bass on w4 is boomy imo). Soundstage is a bit smaller, but has more depth in it.Couldn't enjoy the 4's Soundstage in the long run.
The CK100PRO is really unbearable with bad/supa bright recordings.
Love the comfort of my Ck100PRO, better than any IEM's I've exerpienced yet.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Vocals are more upfront, treble much more boosted, less bass(bass on w4 is boomy imo). Soundstage is a bit smaller, but has more depth in it.Couldn't enjoy the 4's Soundstage in the long run.
The CK100PRO is really unbearable with bad/supa bright recordings.
Love the comfort of my Ck100PRO, better than any IEM's I've exerpienced yet.

I've heard from others saying it's amazing for EDM, but it's actually a bit too expensive new and I've been unable to find any used around. Any others that come to mind?

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
frown.gif

If it's just the fit of the tf10 that's giving you hassles you could always get them reshelled into customs.

Cheers

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I've heard from others saying it's amazing for EDM, but it's actually a bit too expensive new and I've been unable to find any used around. Any others that come to mind?

Can you give me a song to listen to? Then I can able to judge myself.
I think there is one for around 400$ used in the Sell-Section.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #13 of 13
First One sounds perfectly fine. 2nd sounds much brigther, depends on your volume and brightness-tolerance level. Still not "earpiercing" though.
Try the Fischer DBA-2/Brainwavz B2 if u liked the TF10-Sounding. Better fit, but slightly less refined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back