Westone 3 vs Shure 535
Nov 13, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #31 of 64

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
After 6 months with SE535 I have actually come back to W3 and think I prefer it for two reasons.  One, I listen somewhat loudly and the forward Shure midrange can fatigue your (my) ears after an hour.  As nicely detailed as the SE535 is, the W3 still shows a little bit more in the treble and I love it!

I also think the SE535 cable is more of a novelty.  Unless you are recklessly destructive with your gear, the SE535 cable is overkill.  It is heavy and bulky and has significant microphonics.  I take great care of my stuff so the Westone cable is plenty durable, more comfy and far less microphonics.

I'm in full agreement Spyro..  The W3's highs and bass are outstanding and I keep wanting to reach for the EQ with the 535's.  Something's just not right with the 535's, they aren't as musical to me.  I've yet to find a genre that the Shure's do better than the Westone's.  I was wondering why my brow was starting to furrow.. it was fatigue setting in.  Within one song with the W3's in my ears, the smile was back.  Granted this is based on the first hour, but then again, I was in love with my W3's immediately.  I'll have to spend some more time with the Shure's to give a more detailed impression, but I can say unequivocally, that my W3's aren't threatened by the 535's.

If you're wanting more bass/treble, then that's cool, it's just not recorded that way. The bass on the SE535s is totally flat...so you're pretty much hearing it the way it was recorded (as best as an IEM can do). Any more is coloured...different strokes for different folks I say.

I prefer the flat response of the SE535s. I found the sparkly treble of the W3s very nice, but over time quite fatiguing. Overall these are both great IEMs, just different flavours...neutral vs. fun.

neutral can be fun as well...more like...neutral vs colored

Nov 13, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #32 of 64

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
After 6 months with SE535 I have actually come back to W3 and think I prefer it for two reasons.  One, I listen somewhat loudly and the forward Shure midrange can fatigue your (my) ears after an hour.  As nicely detailed as the SE535 is, the W3 still shows a little bit more in the treble and I love it!

I also think the SE535 cable is more of a novelty.  Unless you are recklessly destructive with your gear, the SE535 cable is overkill.  It is heavy and bulky and has significant microphonics.  I take great care of my stuff so the Westone cable is plenty durable, more comfy and far less microphonics.

I'm in full agreement Spyro..  The W3's highs and bass are outstanding and I keep wanting to reach for the EQ with the 535's.  Something's just not right with the 535's, they aren't as musical to me.  I've yet to find a genre that the Shure's do better than the Westone's.  I was wondering why my brow was starting to furrow.. it was fatigue setting in.  Within one song with the W3's in my ears, the smile was back.  Granted this is based on the first hour, but then again, I was in love with my W3's immediately.  I'll have to spend some more time with the Shure's to give a more detailed impression, but I can say unequivocally, that my W3's aren't threatened by the 535's.

If you're wanting more bass/treble, then that's cool, it's just not recorded that way. The bass on the SE535s is totally flat...so you're pretty much hearing it the way it was recorded (as best as a universal IEM can do). Any more is coloured...different strokes for different folks I say.

I prefer the flat response of the SE535s. I found the sparkly treble of the W3s very nice, but over time quite fatiguing. Overall these are both great IEMs, just different flavours...neutral vs. fun.

The nice thing with a neutral IEM is that they pretty much go with everything...coloured IEMs are typically limited to a few genres of music.

Sorry bud, I have to disagree. I have recordings that I'm intimately familiar with and the 535's sound a touch off to me.  My HD600's do a fantastic job of bringing them together and I think the W3's are actually closer than the Shure's to the real thing. 

I don't hear the 535's as neutral or flat.  If anything I hear them as mid forward, and a bit lacking at the ends.  There's not enough life in the highs, the crash or splash of a cymbal is muted and the decay is short. The bass drum often sounds like a dull thud, again it's missing timbre, body and decay.  I agree there can be too much color in the W3's, but having not enough is just as harmful. The W2's had more life to them and I found them to be more natural.  Neutral? No, but closer to natural than the 535's or the W3's.  The W3's may be pumped up, but that's an easier fix than trying to add what's missing to the Shure's.  The W3's highs can be tamed with tips, which still allows the details to shine through.  You can also take a bit off the bottom end with EQ if they're overpowering.  Adding to either end of the 535's with EQ doesn't bring life back, it just makes things sound worse for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm being extremely nit-picky..  The 535's are special.  They are comfortable, built like tanks, their cable is indestructible (even if they're micro-phonic) and they sound great un-amped.  They actually sound best at lower volume levels.  I had to adjust to them before finding the right level.  I had to adjust according to the mids.  That eliminated the fatigue, but also revealed the missing pieces.  I've listened to every genre so far and I can't find one that I prefer with the 535's over the W3's.  But I haven't given up on them yet.. These impressions are based on listening for about 5 hours, so I'll experiment a little more and see what shakes out.  It may be that they just aren't tuned the way that works best for my ears. Only time will tell...

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #33 of 64

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you're wanting more bass/treble, then that's cool, it's just not recorded that way. The bass on the SE535s is totally flat...so you're pretty much hearing it the way it was recorded (as best as a universal IEM can do). Any more is coloured...different strokes for different folks I say.

The nice thing with a neutral IEM is that they pretty much go with everything...coloured IEMs are typically limited to a few genres of music.

Sorry bud, I have to disagree. I have recordings that I'm intimately familiar with and the 535's sound a touch off to me.  My HD600's do a fantastic job of bringing them together and I think the W3's are actually closer than the Shure's to the real thing. 

eek.gif

I've heard a lot of things said about the Westone 3s.....the IEM version of the Denon D7000s, but never the HD600. Goes to show how differently we can hear.

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #35 of 64
JoeyRusso--Great post.  I agree with all.  And your disclaimer is right about being nitpicky.  It's still a great IEM.   But compared to W3 and newly received GR10 there seems a veil on ALL Shure IEM's.  They may do this to offset poor recordings or create a warmer sound but once you have heard  true MUSICAL transparency (sorry Etymotic) it's hard to go back.

I would still take SE535 over UM3X anyday due to better highs and soundstage versus instrument separation for UM3X.  UM3X is truly a stage monitor and the best universal one ever made but most of us are pleasure listeners versus musicians.

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #36 of 64

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

eek.gif

I've heard a lot of things said about the Westone 3s.....the IEM version of the Denon D7000s, but never the HD600. Goes to show how differently we can hear.

Oh God no... No sir, I didn't say that or intend it.. I just said that the 600's and the W3's reproduce certain details more natural and realistic than the 535's.   They are nowhere near the same signature.  The 600's are the most neutral can I've heard to date.  The W3's are the most fun, yet detailed, V shape I've ever heard.  The only thing they have in common is that they both reveal more detail than the 535's in the highs and lows, they just go about it in different ways.  

And don't get me wrong, the 535's are fantastic.  I just feel that Shure played it safe with their tuning.  Forward mids aside, they are very polite across the board.  The mids can spike and cause fatigue at higher listening volumes, but otherwise they aren't aggressive.  They lack the bite I'd like to hear in guitars and violins, and yet remain detailed.  It may be my hearing or the way they work with my ears, but they need a little more on both ends to be perfect for me.

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #37 of 64
Wow.  Good point I never even thought about.  Spiking mids.  We only hear about it with highs and lows but it is not unreasonable to suggest that the Shures mids can spike or be too forward.  And if you listen loud, this will always be a problem.

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #38 of 64
guys, I traded for a pair of westone 3's and they're currently on the way, would anybody say the sound sig is very similar to the PX100? because apparently from descriptions and reviews, both seem to have a midbass hump and I find my PX100 very enjoyable

James

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #39 of 64

Quote:
guys, I traded for a pair of westone 3's and they're currently on the way, would anybody say the sound sig is very similar to the PX100? because apparently from descriptions and reviews, both seem to have a midbass hump and I find my PX100 very enjoyable

James

No, the sound signature is quite different. 

W3's destroy PX100's in every regard.  There is nothing (soundstage, highs, mids, lows) that PX100's can compete with W3's and that is why it is a $75 headphone versus $400 IEM.

ENJOY!!

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #40 of 64

Quote:
JoeyRusso--Great post.  I agree with all.  And your disclaimer is right about being nitpicky.  It's still a great IEM.   But compared to W3 and newly received GR10 there seems a veil on ALL Shure IEM's.  They may do this to offset poor recordings or create a warmer sound but once you have heard  true MUSICAL transparency (sorry Etymotic) it's hard to go back.

I would still take SE535 over UM3X anyday due to better highs and soundstage versus instrument separation for UM3X.  UM3X is truly a stage monitor and the best universal one ever made but most of us are pleasure listeners versus musicians.

I agree.  It's completely personal preference and what it would take from them to knock the W3's off the pedestal I've placed them on.  Like I said in my last post, they are just too polite for me.  That doesn't make them bad.  They work well for every genre, they just don't stand out in any one for me.  I can put them in and listen to anything, but after owning the W3's; why settle for less??

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #41 of 64

Quote:
Quote:

James

?

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #42 of 64
Just to clarify (for myself) what I hear as the differences between the Shure 535's, the Westone 3's and even the HD600, I just did a quick 3-way session with them using the same song - Pantera's "A new level".  ( what I happened to be listening to at the time. )  Same source, amp and even tips on the Shure's and the W3's (olives) and volume matched as best I could.

With the 535's Darrell's guitar is forward but lacks bite, the cymbals fall off quickly and blend in at times.  The drum's don't have the separation or air around them that I'm used to hearing and the bass line is almost non-existent, lost in the mix.

With the W3's the bite is back, but a bit recessed.  The drums have more separation, with more air around them.  Cymbals crash and sustain more naturally and I can hear the bass line.

With the 600's everything is more detailed, as it should be.  They are more balanced.  Darrell's guitar bites hard and you can hear the layers he laid down over the original track.  The bass line is more distinct.  The separation of the toms is amazing, you can watch (hear) Vinnie work his way around the kit and the cymbals are perfect.  There's really no comparing an IEM to a set of cans.  The natural decay of a dynamic driver brings more life to the party every time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.. LOL

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #43 of 64
After further review.. the call on the field stands..  However.. I've found out some pretty interesting things about the 535's.  

I don't like them amped.  They sound better (to me) straight out of my iPhone or my Clip+ than through my D4.  Where everything else I own sounds great with the iBasso - Go figure!!

They are excellent with acoustic/unplugged recordings (Alice in Chains and Eric Clapton Unplugged, 3 Doors Down Acoustic, Eagles - Hell freezes over) as well as country music and they do well with most classical.  They also sound great with Jack Johnson, Acoustic Alchemy, Fleetwood Mac, Rodrigo y Gabriela..

They are ok for Jazz, but again, their polite nature and lack of extension hurts them.  Listening to Melody Gardot's "My one and only thrill", something's missing.  Again, they are very good, just not better than the W3's for me. 

They still can't hang with the W3's with any variety of toe-tapping, head banging or get you moving music.   The W3's are better with metal (Iron Maiden, A7x, Staind, Godsmack, Pantera, Shadows Fall, Atreyu, etc..), Electronic/house (Tiesto, Guetta, Owl City) or Pop (Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas - "boom boom pow", Rihanna), to me anyway.  The 535's are just missing extension and detail in the highs and lows.  

Even If I didn't already own the W3's, I'd probably still look elsewhere for fun.  When I want to get my head bopping or banging, the 535's can't answer the call for me.

Nov 14, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #44 of 64

eek.gif

Oh God no... No sir, I didn't say that or intend it.. I just said that the 600's and the W3's reproduce certain details more natural and realistic than the 535's.   They are nowhere near the same signature.  The 600's are the most neutral can I've heard to date.  The W3's are the most fun, yet detailed, V shape I've ever heard.  The only thing they have in common is that they both reveal more detail than the 535's in the highs and lows, they just go about it in different ways.  

And don't get me wrong, the 535's are fantastic.  I just feel that Shure played it safe with their tuning.  Forward mids aside, they are very polite across the board.  The mids can spike and cause fatigue at higher listening volumes, but otherwise they aren't aggressive.  They lack the bite I'd like to hear in guitars and violins, and yet remain detailed.  It may be my hearing or the way they work with my ears, but they need a little more on both ends to be perfect for me.

Slightly off topic..  but I would kill for the sound of the HD600 in an IEM..  

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #45 of 64
I don't find the W3 fatiguing at all because the soundstage is large and there is distance,  To me, it is the smaller soundstage mid-centric IEM's that are fatiguing but maybe this is a personal preference thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back