Westone 3 vs Shure 535
Sep 22, 2010 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

ckryan3

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting a set of new IEMs, and these two are at the top of my list.

After prodding around the forums for a bit, i realised that no one has actually done a A/B test with them (at least not that i saw...), if you found another thread which has this, could you please post the link here?

I gathered that the Westone 3s are a more 'fun' listen, with less accuracy and more bass, and are generally warmer.
While the 535 is accurate, and more balanced but not as fun to listen to.

Any advice on which to get? Comfort isn't a problem as i intend to get the re-shelled sooner or later

I usually listen to Japanese pop/rock and also a bit of, trance and classical.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 64

Quote:

I gathered that the Westone 3s are a more 'fun' listen, with less accuracy and more bass, and are generally warmer.
While the 535 is accurate, and more balanced but not as fun to listen to.

This ^^

They are nearly identical in everything else, soundstage etc, the bass is more pronounced on W3, mids in SE535, highs are more extended on W3. It's a question of preference.

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 64
The W3's are the most fun I've ever had with something in both ears.. But don't write them off as inaccurate or sloppy.  You'll be quite amazed by the details you'll find.  I'm listening to Eric Clapton Unplugged right now and I'm quite impressed with what I'm hearing, the toe taps, the shuffling in their seats, it's all there.  Feed them well and you'll be rewarded.

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 64
the detail retrieval and clarity in the midrange and treble on the w3 is one of the best out of all my iems 
popcorn.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 64
I love my Westone 3s, but I liken "fun" to like a wonderfully rich cheese cake. You love it while it's going down, but very quickly when you're done....your done.

The SE535s get zero fatigue being balanced and another advantage of being neutral, they work with more genres of music (not just rock/metal/jazz).

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 64
Like I said in a different post, get them both and then sell/return whichever one you like least.  That is what I did with my W3s and IE8s.  I got rid of my Senns. W3s are fantabulous
dt880smile.png

Sep 23, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 64
Sorry to hijack your post, but Im very interested in knowing this as well...where im located at restricts me from having a listen to both the W3 and the Shure 535...and unfortunately my bank account wouldnt allow me to purchase both at the moment
smily_headphones1.gif

headphone wise, i had the HD650 and K702, and i definitely prefer the K702 personally which i kept. With that said, which would u recommend to me? the W3 or Shure 535?

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #11 of 64

Quote:
I love my Westone 3s, but I liken "fun" to like a wonderfully rich cheese cake. You love it while it's going down, but very quickly when you're done....your done.

The SE535s get zero fatigue being balanced and another advantage of being neutral, they work with more genres of music (not just rock/metal/jazz).

Not me.. I find myself reaching for another piece.. LOL   Hero have you heard the Westone 2's?  They are definitely a step towards neutral/balanced from the W3.  The mids are definitely more present and the bass is tamed a bit.  These are a fantastic change of pace from the W3's, just different enough to bring out even more details in the mids.  Anyone on the fence about whether or not the W3's have too much bass could opt for the W2's and be quite happy, I think.  I know I'm happy

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 64

Quote:
me recommends something like the ck10 =), because se535/530 have  been reviewed as having rolled off highs

Obviously you haven't heard either one, nor read any of the comments (or even the Absolute Sound Review). The SE535s DO NOT HAVE ROLLED OFF HIGHS.

Please only make recommendations on products you have heard and/or researched. Simply throwing out comments like that can really mess people up. Thanks.

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #13 of 64

Quote:
Not me.. I find myself reaching for another piece.. LOL   Hero have you heard the Westone 2's?  They are definitely a step towards neutral/balanced from the W3.  The mids are definitely more present and the bass is tamed a bit.  These are a fantastic change of pace from the W3's, just different enough to bring out even more details in the mids.  Anyone on the fence about whether or not the W3's have too much bass could opt for the W2's and be quite happy, I think.  I know I'm happy

I'm glad you're happy.

I have heard the W2s...very nice in their price range and a bit more balanced, but not in the same league as the W3/SE535...for a balanced Westone product, there's always the UM3x.
evil_smiley.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 64

Quote:

Please only make recommendations on products you have heard and/or researched. Simply throwing out comments like that can really mess people up. Thanks.

I think this should be written as a commandment on the main page of head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

I really can't help on W3 vs S535 but I certainly am enjoying my UM3X. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 64

Quote:
I'm glad you're happy.

I have heard the W2s...very nice in their price range and a bit more balanced, but not in the same league as the W3/SE535...for a balanced Westone product, there's always the UM3x.
evil_smiley.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
tongue.gif

I agree they are very nice for the price and that they're not in the same league, but my God man, have you not yet learned that balanced is not my thing??  LMAO  Now slide that cheese cake over here.. I think I could handle one more piece... 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back